Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Sunday,September 22, 2024, 21:37:31

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
12 May 2024 08:13:51
 I have some F1 Abusemark boards going spare,,,,,,,,,,,,,    ;)    :azn
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:12:29
And with oldskool parts  :D
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:11:57
I must be the only one doing tricopters right now  :laugh:
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:09:30
 :D
Gaza07:
11 May 2024 21:15:16
Domain has been renewed closure has been cancelled  :D
Gaza07:
02 May 2024 08:07:52
Who are most people ??? I think the person you are referring to has put in a lot of effort to keep things moving  :rolleyes:
hoverfly:
01 May 2024 10:16:12
Most people I have spoken to are pizzed off with the yellow peril  flooding the forum,go figure. :whistling:
Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,478
  • Total Topics: 20,271
  • Online today: 27
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 23
Total: 23

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Simon 30a and power wires

Started by Fletch, Monday,August 18, 2014, 09:29:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Fletch

I';m going to extend the DC power wires on my ESCs for a tidy installation....  Heard lots of talk of Caps....

Should I? Shouldn';t I?
Add it at the join?
What size?

guest325

All a capacitor does is to smooth out surges, a lot depends on how much more you want to extend the wires and what voltage they are running at, I';m assuming it';s not a small model based on the 30A so the sensible thing to do (which I do under these circumstances) is to up the gauge of the wire. As a rule of thumb I would go up a gauge if I doubled the length, 2 gauges if I quadrupled the length etc. If you can';t get the next gauge up go with the next thickest you can get.

Fletch

It';s a tarot fy690s

I';ve gone up to 2.1mm² on the wires...  The rating of the wire is higher than the burst of the ESC so the numbers match...

I';m happy not to put one in...
But I thought as I was going into maplin to pick up the wire I could grab anything else I might need!

miniconverter

I asked the same question a few days ago but there seems to be no definitive answer. Its all to do with back EMF and ripple (whatever they are) causing damage to the speed controller not interference as some have suggested.

Have read loads on different sites including Scorpion, and it would appear to me if using one controller as in a plane or heli they are vital but the more ESCs you have the less the ripple as apparently the phases are out of sync so this reduces ripple, so should be fine with a 6 axis machine.

I am building a 680 Pro and have decided not to use capacitors but the final decision has to be yours.

Hope you understand this as its taken me ages to get my head round it and I might be talking rubbish. Found an interesting bit about it on RC Groups so will try and find it and post a link but am going out soon so may be tomorrow.

Hope this helps.

miniconverter

Have a look here post 98

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2063435&page=7

But if you read the thread there is a lot about extending battery wires throughout, should also give you a few ideas and tips for your build

Fletch

Quote from: miniconverter on Monday,August 18, 2014, 18:44:03
Have a look here post 98

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2063435&page=7

But if you read the thread there is a lot about extending battery wires throughout, should also give you a few ideas and tips for your build

I';ve seen that one already .... I';m quite happy with just lengthening the wires ... thought I';d get a local opinion!

Oakie

You could always message Bruce on RCmodel review?

He would love to dispel the bad.

paul
Only when one looses sight of your toy does FPV become fun and against legislation already in place.

Fletch

Oakie

He sure is, might be worth a message though?

Paul
Only when one looses sight of your toy does FPV become fun and against legislation already in place.