User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Bad Raven: Balance lead extensions are pence from China, I bought bulk. I also cut the old balance plugs with lead off and if I get a broken plug body I just solder a new one lead to lead, can extend at the same time.
    Today at 14:17:22
  • Reman: Bajadre, With reference to balance leads, I bought a cheap JST XH crimper, plus a shed load of male/female plugs and pins a while back. It's amazing how many times that lots come in handy. Not just for repairing battery packs, But for things like adding quick release plugs to wiring harnesses so you can do things like pop gimbels on and off camera drones quickly, Or add plugs to the cables of hardwired components so you don't have to desolder them when you need to get them out of the way in a rebuild, And making charging extension leads so you can get the battery right into a Li-Po safe bag and away from the expensive charger. They're well worth adding to the toolbox..... The other day I only spent about 5 minutes hunting for my 4S charging lead before giving up and making a new one. If I didn't have the crimping kit I'd probabbly still be looking. :)
    Today at 14:00:55
  • hoverfly: Not unusual Reman, they just cant be ar$ed to deliversome if they get behind schedule.. Yesterday i had a delivery by Herpies,  got a sms telling me when they were going to deliver, then rang the door bell and knocked. The parcel was intact and damage free.  Not sure what is going on.... :hmm:
    Today at 13:23:11
  • Bad Raven: Where is it broken?
    Today at 13:22:29
  • hoverfly: If you cut them off make sure  you insulate the ends. :smiley:
    Today at 13:18:42
  • Bajadre: Quick question guys is it ok to snip off a broken balance lead and not run it i know i wouldnt be able to balance charge it again but would the pack be ok ? its a 3s 5500mah which the lead got dragged along the floor on sundays bahs :(
    Today at 12:44:55
  • Reman: About an hour ago I had the Yodel tracking system tell me that I wasn't in...... That's f*ckin' news to me !!!!!
    Today at 10:17:20
  • Reman: Like I said, In the past I've had a handful of packs "Go off" at me like fireworks after bad crashes (Usually with RC helis), So it's hard to get that image out of your head while stripping down Li-Po's. :)
    January 21, 2019, 11:22:54
  • shawdreamer: the horror stories will always incite worry when messing about with Lipo's but its the same as everything else when working on electronics alike, alsong as your careful and methodical there's very little to panic about, I regularly recycle 4s's with a single dead cell into usable 3s packs, end of the days its alot more economical, safer and enviro friendly than having to bin them....just a pain that the dead cell is NEVER one of the outer cells so you always end up having to strip a good cell off to get at the bad cell before putting it back afterwards, its like dropping toast, it'll always land buttered side down and inevitably covered in pet fur :angry:
    January 21, 2019, 00:11:16
  • Reman: Just did the one electrical job that still scares me. I dismantled some Lipo's with knacked cells and built usable packs out of the good cells. I've had packs go "VOOOOOOSH" at me in the past so I'm always slightly scared of having bare lipo contacts anywhere near what I'm working on, But all appears to have gone well and one of them is currently doing a charge/discharge cycle to make sure nothings a miss. :)
    January 20, 2019, 22:28:43
  • Reman: My original Dremel Pro made it to 14 years of heavy weekend use (And abuse) before it crocked. Dismantled that but it turned out to be a "Control module" fault, And Dremel made it ni on impossible to get into that without pooching it completely. :(
    January 20, 2019, 22:17:27
  • ched999uk: BR  ::)
    January 16, 2019, 22:26:54
  • Bad Raven: That's a warrnty claim if ever I heard one....
    January 16, 2019, 20:32:55
  • ched999uk: My 28 year old 12v 35w Weller soldering iron failed  :( I didn't fancy forking out £100 for a new one. Stripped it down and found conductor snapped in cable. 10Mins later all back working great. :smiley: ::) I am very happy!!
    January 16, 2019, 17:23:06
  • shawdreamer: "look up there....its a drone!.....and whats this noise?..... no.....no..... it cant be!....NOOOOOOOO.......OOOOOOOOOOOOOPS I DID IT AGAIN, I PLAYED WITH YOUR HEAR....."
    January 10, 2019, 14:17:24
  • shawdreamer: <starts downloading britney spears albums and preping his large frame to carry a PA system>
    January 10, 2019, 14:15:08
  • Bajadre: defo steveo :) we should get loads of drones together up there so how they handle more that one lol
    January 08, 2019, 19:39:07
  • steveo9007: its all a ploy to get who ever has won the contract for geofencing the airport in, i reckon  ::)
    January 08, 2019, 18:38:26
  • Bajadre: more lies hope they prepped the police staement already lol
    January 08, 2019, 18:27:49
  • Bad Raven: Take Offs resumed
    January 08, 2019, 18:24:45

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: How do I stop Brown outs?  (Read 5422 times)

Offline dp106

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 306
How do I stop Brown outs?
« on: August 12, 2014, 16:57:09 »
So I have a Hobbyking Phaser which I have upgraded to run on 4 cells. This thing will motor when I put my foot down  :smiley:

Only problem I';m having is I think I am getting brown outs when the battery is getting low.  I have a lipo alarm which doesn';t go off but on my most recent outing it was flying fine and then at the other end of the field just threw a fit and ended up nose first into the ground  :angry:  (It';s not the first time this has happened but it is the first time its gone in nose first  :banghead:).

Only damage is a very squished nose, thank god for packing tape lol  Does this sound like a brown out?  Never had one previously so not sure quite what to expect! 

I';m thinking I might have to set failsafe to zero throttle and level sticks which might lesson damage.  Then install a BEC?  Believe it or not I haven';t installed one of these before so what do I need to get.  I think I have a 12v 4.5a bec in my box-o-bits somewhere so thinking that might do, or does it have to be 5v to the receiver?

Offline DarkButterfly

• Wings in the sky
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Liked: 1130
  • Got the Hexfactor
    • My blog
Re: How do I stop Brown outs?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 17:30:36 »
A separate BEC may be the way to go, it does sound like a brown out, like the receiver wasn';t getting enough power, then going nuts because of it.

Why use 4 motors when you can use 6?

YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/RobR386

Offline miniconverter

• Liked: 60
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 17:35:09 »
What radio are you using?

Offline ericb

• Site Sponsor
  • Liked: 119
  • UP ,UP AND OHHHHHH S***
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 18:02:25 »
Which FC are you using as I had with Crius AIO,I used the capacitor pack into the receiver to resolve. If it';s the Crius PM your address and I';ll post, never going to use one again.
Alien homemade , 330 homemade wonderful little thing oh and the 250 mini that is wonderful

Offline Oakie

• Site Sponsor
  • Liked: 79
  • Do what you want within our legislation
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 19:41:18 »
Imodium helped me :) :sick:
Only when one looses sight of your toy does FPV become fun and against legislation already in place.

Offline dp106

• Site Sponsor
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 20:28:59 »
What radio are you using?
I';m using a Taranis with a V8R4-II.  The other option is it';s the receiver, I';ve never had it with the other Frsky ones I';ve used.  If it is it';s not a faulty one as I';ve had the same issue with two different ones

Offline dp106

• Site Sponsor
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 20:29:59 »
Which FC are you using as I had with Crius AIO,I used the capacitor pack into the receiver to resolve. If it';s the Crius PM your address and I';ll post, never going to use one again.
No flight controller needed on a plank  :smiley:

Offline Friskle

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Liked: 723
    • Chorley & South Ribble Model Society
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 22:44:59 »
Could be a dry joint somewhere, or a break in a wire causing intermittant power losses, failing that, it could be a servvo drawing more power away, or just a bad match between ESC and motor.
Yuneec Q500+
Yuneec Typhoon H
Nano QX2
Nano QX3D
Blade 180QX
Blade 200QX
DJI 450 frame + Naza M V2 = GPS
ZMR 250
250 Pro - Dys 2300kv motors , Naze32 Acro
300 Folding Frame sporting a Naza Lite + GPS

Offline dp106

• Site Sponsor
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 09:06:29 »
Could be a dry joint somewhere, or a break in a wire causing intermittant power losses, failing that, it could be a servvo drawing more power away, or just a bad match between ESC and motor.
I don';t think it would be a dry joint or a break as I would see more issues rather than just when the battery is getting low?  Could be a servo I guess, its only got 2 9gram ones though  :confused:

Offline Biffa

• Site Sponsor
  • Liked: 974
  • Fly more, worry less!
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 13:37:25 »
You can run with  a capacitor plugged into a spare channel on the RX that helps to even out the voltage sags.
Steve

Offline DarrellW

• Site Sponsor
  • Liked: 2380
  • Living on an island!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 13:38:44 »
If you are using digital servos it could be the problem, they draw a lot more current than analogue servos so it';s always wise to use a separate bec unit if you';re running digital servos.
I use these, never had any problems with them:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=38062
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 13:49:59 by DarrellW »
I think..........I think I am........therefore I am.............I think!

Offline fruitsalad

• Site Sponsor
  • Liked: 239
  • pilot error nah not my fault ground got in the way
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 20:28:35 »
check your servo throws are not binding at max throw...itll drain quite a bit on your battery juice.
you could go the sbec route or power the rx and servos from a seperate battery..
dont grow up,just buy bigger toys!!!!

Offline dp106

• Site Sponsor
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 18:59:20 »
Would this be ok to power the receiver:

http://www.banggood.com/Hobbywing-3A-UBEC-5V-6V-Switch-Mode-BEC-For-RC-Models-p-915037.html

(I went for this one as it';s available from the uk).  Do I just connect this to a spare channel on the receiver?

Offline Oakie

• Site Sponsor
  • Liked: 79
  • Do what you want within our legislation
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 19:08:35 »
I use those and not had a problem. I think they are great value.

Paul
Only when one looses sight of your toy does FPV become fun and against legislation already in place.

Offline Bad Raven

• Liked: 660
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 09:11:55 »
So I have a Hobbyking Phaser which I have upgraded to run on 4 cells. This thing will motor when I put my foot down  :smiley:

Only problem I';m having is I think I am getting brown outs when the battery is getting low.  I have a lipo alarm which doesn';t go off but on my most recent outing it was flying fine and then at the other end of the field just threw a fit and ended up nose first into the ground  :angry:  (It';s not the first time this has happened but it is the first time its gone in nose first  :banghead:).

Only damage is a very squished nose, thank god for packing tape lol  Does this sound like a brown out?  Never had one previously so not sure quite what to expect! 

I';m thinking I might have to set failsafe to zero throttle and level sticks which might lesson damage.  Then install a BEC?  Believe it or not I haven';t installed one of these before so what do I need to get.  I think I have a 12v 4.5a bec in my box-o-bits somewhere so thinking that might do, or does it have to be 5v to the receiver?

All the better 4 cell and above plane ESCs are OPTO with no BEC, and then use a UBEC. This is because the servos get starved due to on board ESC BEC limitations, esp with more than three servos.  I NEVER use a ESC BEC above 3S or above 25A with 3S.  NEVER had any sign of brown out or loss of power to radio with Futaba, Spektrum, FlySky or FrSky.

Test your balance lead battery alarm on the bench, many have adjustable trigger voltage with a tiny end button that cycles the trip voltage. I use these all the time on Quads as I have learned not to trust FC mounted ones. The shrink wrap ones usually do not adjust, the ones in tinted grey plastic case do.

Check your specific receiver for input voltage range on manufacturers website, they vary even with one manufacturer, apply common sense (A 3S is OVER 12v when charged and some makers 12v limit is a REAL limit!!) and do not take anyone';s word!!! ALSO, check your SERVO and anything else connected to receiver, as they get battery voltage. FC';s regulate on some outputs, receivers usually do not!

HTH

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 09:16:28 »
Incidentally, I have landed planes AFTER the battery has FALLEN OUT as a decent UBEC with onboard large capacitors will hold up the Rx power long enough to!  I have tested some of my setups at 20 seconds after battery off, plenty of time to glide to a safe place.

I set fail safe for a tight spiral, I do not care about the plane, I do care about going out of bounds and killing someone.

Offline ched999uk

• Liked: 671
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 10:31:07 »
WOW that';s an old thread resurrected ::) I do hope the OP managed to sort his issue.

Good advice from Bad Raven on esc and becs.

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 08:12:46 »
 :laugh: :laugh: