Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,September 19, 2024, 16:41:35

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
12 May 2024 08:13:51
 I have some F1 Abusemark boards going spare,,,,,,,,,,,,,    ;)    :azn
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:12:29
And with oldskool parts  :D
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:11:57
I must be the only one doing tricopters right now  :laugh:
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:09:30
 :D
Gaza07:
11 May 2024 21:15:16
Domain has been renewed closure has been cancelled  :D
Gaza07:
02 May 2024 08:07:52
Who are most people ??? I think the person you are referring to has put in a lot of effort to keep things moving  :rolleyes:
hoverfly:
01 May 2024 10:16:12
Most people I have spoken to are pizzed off with the yellow peril  flooding the forum,go figure. :whistling:
Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,478
  • Total Topics: 20,271
  • Online today: 34
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 52
Total: 52

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Introducing the Quadvolution

Started by philtrum, Wednesday,March 05, 2014, 21:37:01

Previous topic - Next topic

philtrum

Introducing the Quadvolution

This is a start of a range of in house designed frames designed to meet the needs of the multirotor community

Taking inspirational queues from a number of sources this quad has been designed from the ground up with making a quad more portable in mind

Credit to the drawing services of Lleksam, without him this project would not have been possible.

Taking aside the normal type stats that you expect to see from a 450 sized quad, as you will see from the pictures there are some significant differences to all of the quads of this size

Its designed to fold around its self, hence the name

quad = four
circumvolution =  the act of turning, winding, or folding around a central axis

When folded the frame only measures 9 inches square, and even with 9 inch props fitted its total size is 9 x 16 inches, great for traveling, putting in a rucksack when going walking, taking on the bus or using other public transport

There is ample space on the top plate for your choice of flight controller, receiver and fpv gear

• Frame plates and motor mounts are 3k carbon fiber
  • Frame arms  are 3k carbon wrapped 15mm square tube - these are significantly stronger than a pulltruded carbon arm, but have a pulltruded core
  • There is an option for 3k carbon 12mm round tube arms

Further development is underway for camera gimbal mountings, clean anti vibration plates, alternative landing gear

What you get in the kit

• top main plate
  • bottom main plate
  • 4 x carbon arms
  • 4 x motor mount
  • 4 x motor top plate
  • Set of stainless steel bolts / aluminum spacers and thumb nuts to build frame

Additional Components required

• 4 x 20 or 30 amp speed controllers to suit your motors
  • 4 x 980 to 1200 kv motors (max diameter = 29mm) with prop adapters
  • Power distribution plate
  • 2 x 9 inch CW props
  • 2 x 9 inch CCW props
  • Lipo battery to suit your motors
  • Flight controller of your preference

A build service is available if you wish, please enquire

Many Thanks
Phil
[url="//www.makeitbuildit.co.uk"]www.makeitbuildit.co.uk[/url]

philtrum

Believe it or not, this is the last beta/first alpha version of the quad, there has been a few very minor changes to the design and bolt placements, but the profile etc has not changed from these pics

I have flown it and its a very predictable quad to fly, stable yet responsive, there is as you can imagine, very little flex in the frame and as such it is sweet to fly

I will be stocking these on www.makeitbuildit.co.uk but will also be offering some pre-orders here for those interested in the very first batch, of course in fine carbon fiber  ::)

UPDATE : 15/3
All parts ordered and working their way from suppliers, will have everything to build the first 5 frames soon
theres been a few alterations like adding a grommet to the hole where the wires come through to stop any possibily of wire chaffing against the carbon fibre plates

ESC spacing has been altered a little too.

Big news is ive now flown it on an APM, a NAZE32 acro and now a NAZA, flys very well on all, I';ve not had much time to tune the apm though, will get some video of it with the NAZA this weekend if the weather will let me

thanks
Phil
Many Thanks
Phil

philtrum

Progress has been made

First 4 quads have been cnc cut from very shiny carbon
design of the new landing gear is complete and test assembled, it locks in firm, there is a designed in break point on the 3d printed hinge pins

Im just awaiting a delivery of stainless steel torq hex bolts (none of this hong kong bolts made of cheese malarky) and im drilling the arms out ready so everything is ready and waiting

They will be ready by the end of the week providing the delivery gets here (which i have no reason to doubt)

in the mean time, heres some nice carbon pics to share ;)

Many Thanks
Phil

Marty McFly

as Bernard Mathew would say beautifull,I wish you great success with this venture,Marty.

nub

wow that';s very nice indeed Philtrum.
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

Smeagol

That looks the absolute mutts .. hope it sells well for you.

Hands0n

Awesome, Phil  ~~  Absolutely awesome.  Any indication of price yet?  I reckon it will sell rather well  :popcorn:
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

flybywire

A stunningly simple but elegant frame.  Well done, and I luuuuv all that carbon!  ::)  It looks like the kind of platform that can grow as needs dictate, but as I say, it';s simplicity is it';s charm.

Andy

P.S Maybe you can now start work on the ';useable'; multirotor folding prop, as there is a huge gap in the market I feel.
Blog: [url="http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff"]http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff[/url]
The spiritual home of fpv large
Keep it emax, capiche?
Hardware? sure, I got hardware!

Jimbodiddly

Really liking that alot a credit to your hard work Steve and Phil!

Jumpy07

BNUC-S Pilot with PfCo /PFAW.
UAQ / CAA PfCo Instructor / Flight Assessor

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

philtrum

Quote from: Hands0n on Thursday,March 06, 2014, 06:57:36
Awesome, Phil  ~~  Absolutely awesome.  Any indication of price yet?  I reckon it will sell rather well  :popcorn:

Hi

Price is £95 for the folding frame in carbon with the hardware to complete the frame build

Im going to be placing material orders later this week for the first batch, so will be accepting preorders if anyone is interested

Cheers
Phil
Many Thanks
Phil

Soul

e.chipev

Can you add a landing gear? Something high enough to accommodate gopro gimbal...And what will be the extra cost?
Thanks in advance for your answer!

Regards
Evgeni

philtrum

Quote from: e.chipev on Thursday,March 06, 2014, 13:07:21
Can you add a landing gear? Something high enough to accommodate gopro gimbal...And what will be the extra cost?
Thanks in advance for your answer!

Regards
Evgeni

sure, i have a few ideas for folding legs and detachable sections for gimbals, would you want fixed legs, retracts or foldable, and gimbal fixed or detachable ?

Cheers
Phil
Many Thanks
Phil

e.chipev

Quote from: philtrum on Thursday,March 06, 2014, 13:35:32
sure, i have a few ideas for folding legs and detachable sections for gimbals, would you want fixed legs, retracts or foldable, and gimbal fixed or detachable ?

Cheers
Phil

Best would be retracts and detachable gimbal..

Hands0n

Quote from: philtrum on Thursday,March 06, 2014, 12:57:36
Hi

Price is £95 for the folding frame in carbon with the hardware to complete the frame build

Im going to be placing material orders later this week for the first batch, so will be accepting preorders if anyone is interested

Cheers
Phil

Ermegerd  :o  This is going to look fabulous with a Pixhawk strapped to it ... Best stick me down for a pre-order then ... Its probably time I matured from the DJI air frames ... a little bit  :laugh: 
--
Danny

Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

philtrum

Quote from: Hands0n on Thursday,March 06, 2014, 22:11:17
Ermegerd  :o  This is going to look fabulous with a Pixhawk strapped to it ... Best stick me down for a pre-order then ... Its probably time I matured from the DJI air frames ... a little bit  :laugh:

Ok Mate, will drop you an email/PM tomorrow

4 more left on the first production run
Phil
Many Thanks
Phil

Pauluk

Looks really great,i best not buy another frame,i have 8 allready and  i';ll be in trouble from her in doors ;D

IF you ever make an H-Quad frame like this capabable of using 11" - 12" props i would not be
able to resist though ;)

philtrum

Quote from: Pauluk on Saturday,March 15, 2014, 08:55:32
Looks really great,i best not buy another frame,i have 8 allready and  i';ll be in trouble from her in doors ;D

IF you ever make an H-Quad frame like this capabable of using 11" - 12" props i would not be
able to resist though ;)

its on the list :D
either H frame or Dead cat style, so camera is out in front
Many Thanks
Phil

philtrum

Well after some hassle with deliveries and customs, I now have all the parts and materials to get the quads cut out and ready for new homes

I will be sending the materials to be cut over the next couple of days and will update when i have an eta of their return

thanks for your patience
Phil
Many Thanks
Phil

philtrum

Lots of shiney carbon landed in the post today, got the plates for the first 4 quads, and exciting update on the landing gear too, complete redesign landing gear thats again shiney carbon :D
between that and the customs hitting me with a host of unforseen charges the price will have to move a little, but im going to keep it as close as i can to the original quote for the first 4 quads, I will PM all that have pre-ordered later once i have the figures crunched

Thanks Phil
Many Thanks
Phil

philtrum

new pictures added on 2nd post, almost ready to ship the first 4 ....
Many Thanks
Phil

Biffa

Quote from: philtrum on Saturday,April 19, 2014, 22:29:31
new pictures added on 2nd post, almost ready to ship the first 4 ....

That';s some uber shiny carbon there Phil ~~
Steve

Hands0n

Ooh err, come over all weak at the knees ::)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

--
Danny

Royston

Hi Phil
I hope the build instructions are in English and not Brummylese
:uk: :uk:
Cheers
Roy

philtrum

Quote from: Royston on Sunday,April 20, 2014, 09:37:19
Hi Phil
I hope the build instructions are in English and not Brummylese
:uk: :uk:
Cheers
Roy

geez you want instructions too ? lol

Cheers
Phil
Many Thanks
Phil

philtrum

thought it was time for an update

theres been a few little tweeks, to improve things further :D

I hae 4 quads almost ready to go :D

main plates countersunk for screws to leave a flat platform for the installation of flight controller etc and battery
all arms cut to length, 1 set is drilled ready
all body spacers and arm spacers bagged
countersunk screws bagged

just waiting on some more nylon spacers and the button head screws (my mistake i ordered hex and not torx)
all bolts etc are stainless steel :D

should have everything midweek all being well, weekend at latest

Phil
Many Thanks
Phil

Royston

Cheers Phil
Can';t wait.
Dining room table has reserved notice ready for build.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jimbodiddly

Looking forward to seeing these being received and built up.

Jim

Hands0n

Great news Phil - I';ll warm up the Pixhawk ::)
--
Danny