Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,September 20, 2024, 22:36:01

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
12 May 2024 08:13:51
 I have some F1 Abusemark boards going spare,,,,,,,,,,,,,    ;)    :azn
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:12:29
And with oldskool parts  :D
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:11:57
I must be the only one doing tricopters right now  :laugh:
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:09:30
 :D
Gaza07:
11 May 2024 21:15:16
Domain has been renewed closure has been cancelled  :D
Gaza07:
02 May 2024 08:07:52
Who are most people ??? I think the person you are referring to has put in a lot of effort to keep things moving  :rolleyes:
hoverfly:
01 May 2024 10:16:12
Most people I have spoken to are pizzed off with the yellow peril  flooding the forum,go figure. :whistling:
Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,478
  • Total Topics: 20,271
  • Online today: 36
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 16
Total: 17

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Where to stuff my battery?

Started by Opto-Mystic, Wednesday,February 26, 2014, 08:31:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Opto-Mystic

Without being rude, please tell me where to shove my battery.  :help:

Thankis to several very kind and thoughtful friends here, I have managed to resurrect my 450 and building her into a 550.  :smiley:

I have almost finished the frame. No in the process of planning the placement of the various lumps of electronics. On the 450, I placed the battery across the top frame, east to west.

On many photos of both 450s & 550s, I see the battery along the frame, nose to tail...

Which way do you suggest I place the battery & why.

Many thanks
Donald

nub

i prefer my battery along the frame nose to tail, not sure why just feels better to me, i flew with the battery across the way for a while but it felt a little weird/sluggish cornering and flipping, adjusting my PID';s probably would have sorted it out but i didn';t bother.
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

tonymax

Put some 500 size heli skids (off giant shark) on it and hang the battery/s off the bottom frame, gives a  nice bit of extra height to the frame as well

flybywire

I have my lipo';s mounted as you have Donald, don';t have any issues.  Also, I think you use your frames for AP?  So I don';t think air resistance would be an issue.
Basically, I';m lazy and the strap holes line up nicely for cross-mounting!

Andy
Blog: [url="http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff"]http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff[/url]
The spiritual home of fpv large
Keep it emax, capiche?
Hardware? sure, I got hardware!

Opto-Mystic

Quote from: flybywire on Wednesday,February 26, 2014, 09:03:11
Basically, I';m lazy and the strap holes line up nicely for cross-mounting!

Andy
Thanks Andy. You post reminded me that I must get another battery strap - the other one was destroyed in the LiPo fire :angry:

Yes, I am more interested in slow and stable flight of aerial photography. I am not a boy racer any more  :cry

Thanks also for your comments Tony & Nub.
More please folks, I would like to get a good consensus before I settle the final layout
Donald

Biffa

The OCD in me would have them pointing N to S :rolleyes:

Steve

HowDoIfly

The only lipo (and wiring) placement concerns I keep in mind is in reference to the magnometer. In use, current draw will create it';s own mag field so a few inches away at least.
Ifly4 no more, Hubsan X4, R550v2, X650F-V4

guest325

I have Align 600 skids on mine (see my avatar), very nice and stable; my battery is slung between the skids under the bottom plate - I';ve found that putting the battery underneath improves stability compared to on the top (as I first had it set up).

Col_M

I like my batteries between the plates aligned fore-aft.

On my 450 I can';t put it on top as my KK needs to go there so I have screen visability, can';t go underneath as I like my flying things as sleek and low profile as possible. Why fore-aft? no logical reason other than it';s presenting the smallest surface are to the direction of travel, not that it matters when multis have the aerodynamic qualities of a lumpy brick  :tongue: It also just feels right.
TBS Discovery : DRQ-250 : Q450 : Blade mQX

flybywire

Actually, when I had my gimbal attached to my 550, I had to mount the battery below, to counterbalance it.  Having the battery on top makes for easy replacement of course, without having to turn it over, which is a pain with the gimbal and all.
Blog: [url="http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff"]http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff[/url]
The spiritual home of fpv large
Keep it emax, capiche?
Hardware? sure, I got hardware!

guest2350

Quote from: DarrellW on Wednesday,February 26, 2014, 12:48:12
I have Align 600 skids on mine (see my avatar), very nice and stable; my battery is slung between the skids under the bottom plate - I';ve found that putting the battery underneath improves stability compared to on the top (as I first had it set up).
I agree with your logic here Darrel, hard to explain how, but I see a low COG on a quad a good thing for stability, maybe not for acro though.

Cloudbuster

Hi donald !!! Stick em underneath if you can, makes the whole thing handle much better !!!M

Regards rob  :smiley:
life is too short to worry about what others think !!!

[url="//www.skynamite.co.uk"]www.Skynamite.co.uk[/url]