Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Saturday,September 21, 2024, 18:50:37

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
12 May 2024 08:13:51
 I have some F1 Abusemark boards going spare,,,,,,,,,,,,,    ;)    :azn
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:12:29
And with oldskool parts  :D
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:11:57
I must be the only one doing tricopters right now  :laugh:
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:09:30
 :D
Gaza07:
11 May 2024 21:15:16
Domain has been renewed closure has been cancelled  :D
Gaza07:
02 May 2024 08:07:52
Who are most people ??? I think the person you are referring to has put in a lot of effort to keep things moving  :rolleyes:
hoverfly:
01 May 2024 10:16:12
Most people I have spoken to are pizzed off with the yellow peril  flooding the forum,go figure. :whistling:
Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,478
  • Total Topics: 20,271
  • Online today: 26
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 15
Total: 15

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

I had a LiPo fire - opps!

Started by Opto-Mystic, Monday,February 17, 2014, 07:59:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Opto-Mystic

Due to an embarrassing hard lading, I am in need of a few spare parts to rebuild my poorly F450

It started to vibrate violently (almost as if one prop was broken in half). Unable to control it the motors shut down at about 30 feet. It glided like a brick onto concrete and performed a not so gentle landing  :angry:
I have no idea why it it happened

Damage report:
LiPo fire 5200mAh 4S - gee, what a stink... (I managed to release it from the craft and throw it aside before it destroyed any of the electronics)
Top plate broken
Bottom plate broken
GPS Dome broken
GPS Carbon stalk shattered
White arm broken
H3-2D bottom mount broken
Immersion TX antenna socket on TX board ripped off (repairable - Just)

On testing the bits & pieces, Naza-M V2 responds to radio commands and motors spool up OK and respond to the sticks. Gps won';t get a lock of course. I haven';t tested the Gimbal yet but visually it looks ok. Camera seems to switch on and record... Camera and gimbal was found 10 feet away from the impromptu landing site. (My back garden)

SO, picking myself up out of the brown smelly stuff, I have a major rebuild to hand - all part of the learning curve  :smiley:

QUESTION 1: Considering the costs involved, what would your opinion of going for the 550 frame and having a Hex instead of a quad.
EG: R550 V1 Glass Fiber Hexcopter Frame 550mm http://www.rctimer.com/product_835.html
Does anyone know if this as a power bus?

QUESTION 2: Is hex @ 550 be a smoother flyer than the quad 450 (logic tells me yes but I would value the opinion of the F550 users)
Of course I will need to also get a pair of ESCs (DJI OPTO 30A) and DJI motors 2212/920KV motors

If anyone has ever wondered what is inside the GPS puck have a look here (My broken puck innards):
Antenna side: http://www.websilk.co.uk/dji-puck/antenna-side-998.jpg
CCT side (1024 pixels wide 386Kb): http://www.websilk.co.uk/dji-puck/CCT-side-1024.jpg
CCT side (huge 3 Mb image): http://www.websilk.co.uk/dji-puck/CCT-side-very-large.jpg
Donald

Jimbodiddly

Go for the 550 frame,  you will have good redundancy in the event of a prop/ motor failure plus the added advantage of bigger payload capacity.

richardg6paj

Quote from: Opto-Mystic on Monday,February 17, 2014, 07:59:28

QUESTION 1: Considering the costs involved, what would your opinion of going for the 550 frame and having a Hex instead of a quad.
EG: R550 V1 Glass Fiber Hexcopter Frame 550mm http://www.rctimer.com/product_835.html
Does anyone know if this as a power bus?

Hi Donald,
Sorry to read about your forced landing. It';s worse when you are not sure what caused it. The gimbal mount looks a flimsy affair!!!!
I had a look on ebay and found this, if you look through the pictures you can see that this model does have a power distribution board.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/F550-HJ550-Quadcopter-Kit-Frame-Hexacopter-suit-for-DJI-KK-MWC-Red-White-Arms-/281267076779?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item417cd2feab

Or if you don';t mind paying UK prices, you could have a look at this.
http://www.pyramidmodels.com/shop/product.php/1016/hexacopter_h_550_kit_v2_glass_fiber_hexcopter_frame_550mm_integrated_pcb_version

Hope you are soon flying again

Richard

Cloudbuster

hi donald ....thats really bad luck chap !!! i know you have been enjoying the filming recently and there is nothing worse than having nothing to fly !! just my two bobs worth though, i would ditch the DJI style frames and go for something better now. I can highly recommend the tarot 680 hex frame for a good solid filming platform !! i have been using one for over a year now and it has had all sorts of stuff bolted to it over the time and its just a dream to fly.I recently fitted a naza V2 to the 680 and it has proved to be the best decision ever for filming !! the bits are cheap on tarot frame and its all carbon fibre so pretty good in failure situations. the worst damage i have had was a broken landing leg which was due to my own incompetance (i did not secure the battery properly and it parted company with the hex at about 50 feet, no battery no fly!!) hope you get yourself back flying soon donald.

all the best rob  :smiley: :smiley:
life is too short to worry about what others think !!!

[url="//www.skynamite.co.uk"]www.Skynamite.co.uk[/url]

Madfish

Never good to hear of major damage.

As you are considering moving to a 550, given the cost of a replacement GPS unit, a new frame, 2 ESC';s and 2 motors might this be
a better option?

http://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk/DJI-Naza-M-Lite-GPS-F550-Flame-Wheel-p/dji-naza-m-lite-gps-f550-flame.htm
Hubsan X4
HJ Alien quad APM 2.6
Tarot F690/Naza M V2

n506

Sounds like half a prop broke off. Had it myself, and I could hear it clearly happen about 100 yards away. Could even see the arm coming into the field of view of a fixed camera which shows how much the frame was shaking! So it';s pretty likely from your description that';s what happened, so at least it saves you from worrying that it was a problem with your flight controller or such like! Here';s the footage from my similar incident so you can compare:

FPV: Crashing, but thankfully not burning!

If you';re thinking of still going down the dji route with standard kit, then that F550 kit Madfish linked to actually looks not a bad deal considering the number of motors, ESCs etc. you';d need, but if your flight controller is ok, you might be better with this kit:

http://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk/DJI-F550-Flame-Wheel-Hexacopter-ARTF-Kit-p/dji-fhexakit.htm

You can also keep any unbroken arms, ESCs, motors etc. that you have as spares which is good.

I have to say, while I know they take a lot of flack as the best known "general public" manufacturer, the DJI F450/550 is a great setup. Remarkably strong frames.

Opto-Mystic

Thanks to all for responding and including links to possible solutions. Thanks also for the messages of sympathy  :cry

Being 74.5  and in my third childhood, I am on a state pension and can';t afford to go buy a new full kit. I have to take the working parts that remain and make something out of them and get back in the air in the least expensive way.

I am almost decided that I will get a bigger frame and get a hex type. If I do, I will be on the lookout for a pair of motors & ESCs if any one as any to get rid of.

I am also on the lookout for a replacement bottom mounting plate for the H3-2D gimbal.

Any other suggestions or links will be most appreciated.

Donald

Cloudbuster

Quote from: Opto-Mystic on Monday,February 17, 2014, 13:16:37
Thanks to all for responding and including links to possible solutions. Thanks also for the messages of sympathy  :cry

Being 74.5  and in my third childhood, I am on a state pension and can';t afford to go buy a new full kit. I have to take the working parts that remain and make something out of them and get back in the air in the least expensive way.

I am almost decided that I will get a bigger frame and get a hex type. If I do, I will be on the lookout for a pair of motors & ESCs if any one as any to get rid of.

I am also on the lookout for a replacement bottom mounting plate for the H3-2D gimbal.

Any other suggestions or links will be most appreciated.

hi donald ... i have an old 450 frame here made by god knows who but i will willingly send it to you in the post if it will help you get back in the air..

regards rob  :smiley: :smiley:

Opto-Mystic

Rob. Thank you. I may take you up on that offer and will PM you accordingly. I feel that I need to investigate the possibility of going to a 550 frame first. I do have a small amount of funds left after buying a spare LiPo last Friday. (I no longer have a spare as the original polluted the atmosphere something wicked when I had the argument with Isaac Newton!) At least, it was the used (10 times) one that exploded and I still have a battery!  :smiley:

None the less Rob, I really do appreciate your offer and will be in touch.
Donald

fruitsalad

sorry to hear about your misfortune donald...
i have a new hex frame listed http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121270566498?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649
pm me if you still needing...can do a better price for ya 
dont grow up,just buy bigger toys!!!!

Opto-Mystic

Fruitsalad - Yes please... I am sending you a pm in a couple of minutes
Donald

Opto-Mystic

Gadgetman

Thanks for the link - I have put that in my watch list. Plans are already in hand in getting it fixed. You contribution to the thread is welcome and appreciated.
Donald

Opto-Mystic

One piece of good news - The GoPro H3 not only survived the sudden meeting with the concrete it also survived being thrown from the broken mounting bracket some 10 yards or so. There is only a very tiny scuff mark on one corner that is almost invisible!

The camera works just fine. Phew! :smiley:

Next test is to rewire in the gimbal controller onto the carcase of the wreckage and see if that still works  :crossfingers:
Donald

flybywire

Crashes suck Donald...but, hey, probably natures way of telling you to move up the multirotor chain!
I bought a 550 from a bay dealer in China, and it';s superbly stable.
You must use Afro esc';s!!  I can';t stress how much more responsive &smooth they are compared to ordinary ones, i';d never buy anything else now.

Andy

Oh, and always use carbon or elektroprops!
Blog: [url="http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff"]http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff[/url]
The spiritual home of fpv large
Keep it emax, capiche?
Hardware? sure, I got hardware!

dyls

Unlucky. But I';m sure you';ll get even more help coming from the members on here.
I';m sure there';s a few people on here that would love to print the the plates you need.
If this is possible, I don';t know what the plates look like..

I have a 550 hex.
It has RC timer motors and ESC';s.
It';s built by Peter King. This guy knows his stuff.
ATM it has HP1000KV motors and the white OPTO 30A ESC';s.
And it uses an APM 2.5 Flight controller, using Peter';s Parameters.
So I of course can recommend this.
It';s a cheap set-up.

I wish you luck in what ever route you choose.
Stay safe
Dyl

ZMR250+Naze-acro,Turnigy 9x, (FPV) Phil built (FLYAWAY)
550      +APM         ,    "-"       ,   "-"   Peter built
X525(Cut to 400)+KK2+Futaba 6EX (Crashed)

Cloudbuster

Quote from: flybywire on Monday,February 17, 2014, 22:16:41

Oh, and always use carbon or elektroprops!

i second that one, never use poly props they are just so unreliable !!!

Opto-Mystic

Thanks Andy and Dyls

I have now fully decided to move to a 550 frame.  The f450 frame was a write off. It appears that I can salvage most or the control electronics.

When doing a cost comparison of 450 v 550 frames came out favourably (thanks be to Fruitsalad). That left me with the need of another pair of stock DJI 2212/920 motors and a pair of the white DJI OPTO 30A ESCs. Dialling in the cost of those made my dream of getting a larger frame and 6 props to hold the GoPro more realistic and almost within reach.

So, the bottom line is: I bit the bullet!

Dyls, I note your helpful comments and will perhaps one day upgrade the motors & props as and when I can afford to. Thanks for the info.

Andy, likewise thanks for the suggestions - all noted - it must also be and as & when. However recommendations are very much valued indeed and squirrelled away for future reference.

I must also give a special thanks to Gav for his invaluable off line help too.

Carbon props will also have to wait but are in my want list... :smiley:
Donald

Cloudbuster

Quote from: Opto-Mystic on Tuesday,February 18, 2014, 10:38:39
Thanks Andy and Dyls

I have now fully decided to move to a 550 frame.  The f450 frame was a write off. It appears that I can salvage most or the control electronics.

When doing a cost comparison of 450 v 550 frames came out favourably (thanks be to Fruitsalad). That left me with the need of another pair of stock DJI 2212/920 motors and a pair of the white DJI OPTO 30A ESCs. Dialling in the cost of those made my dream of getting a larger frame and 6 props to hold the GoPro more realistic and almost within reach.

So, the bottom line is: I bit the bullet!

hi donald... dont know if this helps but i can supply a pair of EMAX 2213 920kv motors including props for £10 each + postage, from what i am led to believe the DJI motors are just rebadged EMAX motors anyway..

Dyls, I note your helpful comments and will perhaps one day upgrade the motors & props as and when I can afford to. Thanks for the info.

Andy, likewise thanks for the suggestions - all noted - it must also be and as & when. However recommendations are very much valued indeed and squirrelled away for future reference.

I must also give a special thanks to Gav for his invaluable off line help too.

Carbon props will also have to wait but are in my want list... :smiley:

Opto-Mystic

Hi Rob - I may be interested - I have to go out shortly and just found you post ';hidden'; within the quote above  :smiley:

Obviously I don';t want to mix makes up but re-badging is no issue.
I just robbed these images from ebay: If the Emax look identical let me know - I am not concerned about the colour but it would be nice if they match 

You said "EMAX 2213 920kv" ... I take it that was a typo & should read 2212

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]
Donald

guest325

Quote from: Opto-Mystic on Tuesday,February 18, 2014, 16:13:30
Hi Rob - I may be interested - I have to go out shortly and just found you post ';hidden'; within the quote above  :smiley:

Obviously I don';t want to mix makes up but re-badging is no issue.
I just robbed these images from ebay: If the Emax look identical let me know - I am not concerned about the colour but it would be nice if they match 

You said "EMAX 2213 920kv" ... I take it that was a typo & should read 2212

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]
Those motors are the same as your dji ones apart from the badge - emax make dji';s motors; they';re making some really good bigger ones now at excellent prices!

Gav

Quote from: Gadget Man on Monday,February 17, 2014, 16:41:56
The GPS might be able to be fixed with one of these, could be worth a try for £3.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPS-Ceramic-Internal-Patch-1575-42MHz-Antenna-20x20x7mm-gi-/251449181754?pt=UK_Computing_Case_Mods_Stickers_Decals&hash=item3a8b8a063a

Yes I can confirm that you could strip the gps patch antenna from that unit and repair your naza puck gps. 

Here';s my Naza gps repair thread. 

http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=1109.0
My NAZA GPS is REPAIRED!!

Donald,  as discussed I will repair your gps with a spare patch antenna unit I have and test on my Naza to check it';s ok.  What could possibly go wrong?! :-/ Naaa should be fine lol

Cheers
Gav

Opto-Mystic

I';m back after a short spell in hospital with food poisoning, hypothermia, dehydration and mild pneumonia caused by inhaling some vomit while unconscious.  :o  :sick: :sick:  :(

So I am now back on the trail of getting back in to the air.  :smiley:

Rob - I will PM you about the motors...

Donald

Opto-Mystic

Rob/anyone - I have just seen the spec of the Emax MT2213 935Kv whereas the DJI 2212 is 920Kv... I know the KV figure relates to the speed. The difference in the ratings is only small (+15KV)

Not fully understanding the relationship with the motor speed being controlled by the ESCs my main question now is:
Will two Emax 2213s @ 935KV, happily coexist with four DJI 2212 @ 920KV?

I suspect that it will be ok. However, I would like confirmation. My understanding of the chain of command will be that the Naza Control Unit sees either or both instructions from the GPS/Compass/Giros/Radio and will adjust the revs to accommodate the commands accordingly.
Donald

Gav

Some photos of the repair to Donalds Naza GPS ';puck';.  Patch dielectric replaced and small broken joint between circuit boards, repaired with a little solder bridge.

Initial tests with Naza assistant and waiting for a sat lock in the garden are good.  The assistant didn';t recognise the GPS before repairing the broken solder joint. 
Green flashing lights now woohoo!

Flight test soon to check GPS hold and RTL

Opto-Mystic

Gav
That is absolutely a fantastic job. I am incredibly indebted to you for brilliant piece of repair work - and for testing it for me

THANK YOU
Donald

Gav

Opto-Mystic

Well! What can I say Gav. That looks absolutely brilliant. I bet you are as pleased as I am. I am grinning like a dozen Cheshire moggies  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I think you have done a magnificent job. When I saw the puck after the crash, the shell top and the bottom totally destroyed. The antenna shattered in to many pieces, I was convinced that it was a write off & only a magician could fix that  :thankyou: :bravo: MR MAGICIAN

:beer2:  :popcorn:  :beer2:  :notworthy:

It was a very kind gesture and I am indebted to you for all your time and effort. Then to risk your own craft in testing the RTL - WOW!

I will PM tomorrow and chat on Wednesday.  ~~

Folks, put your hands together and give Gav a standing ovation - he deserves it!
Donald

n506

You';re a truly awesome guy Gav! Raise a glass to that man everyone! :)

Hands0n

--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2