Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Wednesday,September 25, 2024, 13:37:36

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
12 May 2024 08:13:51
 I have some F1 Abusemark boards going spare,,,,,,,,,,,,,    ;)    :azn
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:12:29
And with oldskool parts  :D
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:11:57
I must be the only one doing tricopters right now  :laugh:
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:09:30
 :D
Gaza07:
11 May 2024 21:15:16
Domain has been renewed closure has been cancelled  :D
Gaza07:
02 May 2024 08:07:52
Who are most people ??? I think the person you are referring to has put in a lot of effort to keep things moving  :rolleyes:
hoverfly:
01 May 2024 10:16:12
Most people I have spoken to are pizzed off with the yellow peril  flooding the forum,go figure. :whistling:
Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,478
  • Total Topics: 20,271
  • Online today: 13
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 23
Total: 24

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Coaxial Inefficiency

Started by Jumpy07, Tuesday,February 04, 2014, 21:39:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumpy07

BNUC-S Pilot with PfCo /PFAW.
UAQ / CAA PfCo Instructor / Flight Assessor

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

HowDoIfly

Interesting.
Love the flying lampshade  ~~
Ifly4 no more, Hubsan X4, R550v2, X650F-V4

dockman

Good video, be interesting to see if distance of props from each other in coax would make any difference.

As with most things multirotor though its all about trade offs.  Smaller footprint and better stability in wind, or slightly larger and longer flight times. 
I fly stuff

John A

Interesting......
I have the following setup:-
Y6 configuration consisting of

Sunnysky 2212 980Kv motors, co-axial mount, prop separation of 95mm
10/4.7 SF props
Turnigy Plush 30A standard (non-SimonK)
Naza V2

AUW = 2050g including 2 X 3200mAh Lipos

I get around 12-13 minutes flight time for my 6400mAh.

Anyone using similar components and AUW in a standard Hex config, and what is your flight duration?

MOFO64

Quote from: John A on Tuesday,February 04, 2014, 23:37:36
Interesting......
I have the following setup:-
Y6 configuration consisting of

Sunnysky 2212 980Kv motors, co-axial mount, prop separation of 95mm
10/4.7 SF props
Turnigy Plush 30A standard (non-SimonK)
Naza V2

AUW = 2050g including 2 X 3200mAh Lipos

I get around 12-13 minutes flight time for my 6400mAh.

Anyone using similar components and AUW in a standard Hex config, and what is your flight duration?

Longer than yours at a guess, lol.

Coaxial design looks cool but is inefficient.
Naza V1 | 1040mm Quadcopter | 4x360kv | 4x 1565s | Zippy 5000mah 3S 30c | Hitec Optic Sport 6
My-Fly4 | 660mm M2M Quadcopter | 4x850kv | 4x1045s | Zippy 5000mah 3S 30c | Hitec Optic Sport 6

2.3m Global-hawk EDF UAV | Zippy 2200mah 4S 40c | Hitec Optic Sport 6

guest325

Another thing that may improve coaxial efficiency is to run different pitch props - less pitch at the top than the bottom so that the lower prop with a greater pitch accelerates the output of the upper like multi stage turbines....just a thought!!!

John A

Quote from: DarrellW on Wednesday,February 05, 2014, 12:46:44
Another thing that may improve coaxial efficiency is to run different pitch props - less pitch at the top than the bottom so that the lower prop with a greater pitch accelerates the output of the upper like multi stage turbines....just a thought!!!

Yes, and with that in mind I began to research the theory, and with research comes conflicting viewpoints  :frantic: :banghead:

One school of thought is that reducing the lower prop diameter and increasing the pitch improves the efficiency. The explanation is that the diameter of the column of fast moving air from the top prop reduces the further away it gets from the prop, so the bottom prop diameter should ideally be the diameter of the column when they meet. The higher pitch then accelerates the column faster. In this scenario the prop spacing would also be important because of the shape of the column of fast moving air.

On the flip side, making the bottom prop diameter larger and greater pitch. In this theory the efficiency is increased because the tips of the bottom prop are running in "clean air", outside the column from the top prop. Again, the higher pitch accelerates the air faster.

I believe it is assumed that both of the props are running at the same number of revolutions to maintain the optimum airflow through the coaxial pair, probably by some form of gearbox or sharing a common driveshaft.

So, let';s get a bucketful of props and experiment......but wait.....
The yaw of the aircraft is controlled by balancing the torque reactions between the prop sets. If the load on each motor is different because  the prop sizes are different, won';t the torque reactions go out of balance? Our FC will do its level best to cancel out any unwanted yaw, and the only way it can do that is to change the torque reaction of each motor by speeding it up or slowing it down. Having balanced the torque reactions I would expect there to be a difference in the RPM between the top and bottom props which would affect the optimum airflow through the coaxial pair and also implies that one or other of the motors would be working harder? (thought: if the props are the same size, does this mean the FC is working one motor harder to balance the torque reactions?)

I like my Y6, I think it looks quite cool in flight, especially flying it backwards (one arm forward) which is how I ';hoon'; around but to save the brain-ache on the next build I think I will try a ';standard'; Hex  :smiley:

....Unless you know better..... :smiley:

e.chipev

Running larger lower props with greater pitch will not affect yaw.
Losing efficiency is part of the trade.. but in real world it';s not a problem.
The problem is in your head with this number mania thing.
If you are looking for something universal don';t look further just buy more juice/batteries.
I fly my y6 with nex5 stress free even in challenging weather(only problem is the landing).
I use 5 different sets of props for different weather starting from 11x5 up to 14x5.5
Auw-5kg including 2x5000mah 4s lipos
10min active flight with wooden props 13x4 top and 14x5 lower is draining ~65% of the batteries... not bad I think?
Will make tests with 3 or even 4 batteries... soon.
Regards  :beer2: