Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,September 27, 2024, 00:17:20

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
12 May 2024 08:13:51
 I have some F1 Abusemark boards going spare,,,,,,,,,,,,,    ;)    :azn
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:12:29
And with oldskool parts  :D
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:11:57
I must be the only one doing tricopters right now  :laugh:
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:09:30
 :D
Gaza07:
11 May 2024 21:15:16
Domain has been renewed closure has been cancelled  :D
Gaza07:
02 May 2024 08:07:52
Who are most people ??? I think the person you are referring to has put in a lot of effort to keep things moving  :rolleyes:
hoverfly:
01 May 2024 10:16:12
Most people I have spoken to are pizzed off with the yellow peril  flooding the forum,go figure. :whistling:
Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,478
  • Total Topics: 20,271
  • Online today: 20
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 17
Total: 17

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

WIND!!

Started by simon, Friday,January 31, 2014, 20:12:39

Previous topic - Next topic

simon

I';m desperate to get some shots of something tomorrow morning 8am ish. Only have tomorrow for various reasons assuming its sunny I';m concerned about wind lol
15mph is forecast is this too much?
What have you flown in and what experiences please!
BNUC-S Pilot, with PFAW

Soul

Probably depends on your quad :smiley:

I';ve been out in some pretty gusty stuff, and it was ';challenging'; but possible.....

simon

Quote from: Soul on Friday,January 31, 2014, 20:14:23
Probably depends on your quad :smiley:

I';ve been out in some pretty gusty stuff, and it was ';challenging'; but possible.....
Its a DJI 550 hex.
BNUC-S Pilot, with PFAW

Cloudbuster

Hi there ... This is a very subjective thing, it depends a lot on a number of factors but i have a simple solution which i have adopted from my early days of flying fixed wing aircraft !!! If in doubt for any reason dont fly !!! A true 15mph wind will be quite a challenge for your 550 if it weighs in less than 2kg but if your determined make sure you take off into wind and fly it in gps mode at least until you feel comfortable with the conditions.

Best of luck rob :smiley:
life is too short to worry about what others think !!!

[url="//www.skynamite.co.uk"]www.Skynamite.co.uk[/url]

guest325

I';ve done up to 30mph with my 450 quad, but people think I';m a nutter so....

simon

Trial n error gps mode it is!
BNUC-S Pilot, with PFAW

guest325

Quote from: simon on Friday,January 31, 2014, 20:44:56
Trial n error gps mode it is!
Best thing to do is try to fly Acro mode as much as you can and only use assistance if absolutely necessary, you will not regret this approach!  If your fc goes t1ts up you will know how to cope!

brod

Darrells right learn to fly manual/acro mode,its actually better in the wind

Biffa

As mentioned it is, I think,  very subjective.

One thing I have learned over the years is I don';t fly if I am not comfortable and I never fly just for the sake of it - windy or otherwise.

Steve

HowDoIfly

With the weather forecast I saw, you';d be a lucky man to only suffer 15mph winds tomorrow.  ~~
Ifly4 no more, Hubsan X4, R550v2, X650F-V4

Chami82923

Go to your flying site and decide then, if it';s blowing a gail, go home, if not send the copter up and fly a couple of loops, you';ll know very quickly if it';s to windy, I';ve lost count of the number of times I';ve flown half a pack and packed up and gone home.

Constant wind is fairly straight forward, if your using a naza it';ll just lean into the wind, it';s gusts that will catch you out.

My preference at the moment is to get up early when there is more chance of still air, and at least try.

Callum
LF 330 with naza & GPS,
Hubsan X4 & Q4
Mini H-quad with naza m lite.
F550 with naza m lite
Diatone Silverline racing 250 (cc3d)

guest325

Best thing to do is as above,  put your toe in the water and suck it and see -I don';t fly with any aids using kk2 with 1.6++ firmware or crius aiop with 2.9 addons. The only thing that stops me flying is if I can';t make headway upwind!

DarkButterfly

There';s a saying on our field, "if it looks too windy to fly then it probably is, wait for another day"

:smiley:
Why use 4 motors when you can use 6?

YouTube channel
[url="https://www.youtube.com/user/RobR386"]https://www.youtube.com/user/RobR386[/url]

Hands0n

Quote from: DarrellW on Friday,January 31, 2014, 22:15:39
Best thing to do is as above,  put your toe in the water and suck it and see -I don';t fly with any aids using kk2 with 1.6++ firmware or crius aiop with 2.9 addons. The only thing that stops me flying is if I can';t make headway upwind!

I';d second that wholeheartedly.  Although unlike Darrell I tend to fly with complex flight controllers (APM 2.5 and Naza M Lite [for FPV]) the same principles apply.  Once up in the air whether with naked skills or assisted flight modes (even KK2 stability) you are at the mercy of the air.

Today I decided I wanted to take advantage of the break in the weather and conduct a brief aerial survey of my roof and chimney, see if anything has been damaged.  I hardly got off the ground. 

The flight was to be in GPS Atti mode (its a Naza M Lite) for maximum stability for the videoing of the roof and chimney. 

As soon as I got off the ground the FC started to do its work but the gusts of wind were rather strong those few feet above my head. You can hear the motors working very hard to stabilise the quad.  Yet I';ve flown this in moderate wind before. As said above, the gusts cause the most problem as they';re unexpected and highly variable.

In  my own estimation it was a fools errand and so I aborted the mission.

http://youtu.be/KpVNfC8vH-0

--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

simon

Well that was interesting! I got up early and was ready to take off about 8.30. Wind was light but as mentioned in other posts the gustyness was a nightmare in atti or gps/atti. Didn';t even attempt manual mode my arse was twitching enough already :laugh:
The wind is high here now may try early again tomorrow morning.  My subject is due for demolition so I need some shots before it disappears completely.
BNUC-S Pilot, with PFAW

Hands0n

I really should have shaken a tail feather and got out much earlier as my good intentions indicated  :laugh:  So I';m going to see about a 9am sortie over the property if the weather is okay. 

Its weather like this that makes me kind of glad I don';t depend on multi-rotor flying for a living!
--
Danny

Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

simon

Just sorting through my sd card from earlier and managed to get this.

BNUC-S Pilot, with PFAW

Cloudbuster

Hi simon, nice composition apart from the evil lamp post in the foreground, wrong it maybe but it really needs to be edited out !!! Nice urban image though !!

Regards rob  :smiley:
life is too short to worry about what others think !!!

[url="//www.skynamite.co.uk"]www.Skynamite.co.uk[/url]

guest325

Had a couple of great flights today hooning around like a complete nutter,  so much fun!
No 1 my 450 bitza
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0_u9HCg5I&feature=youtube_gdata_player
No 2 a Crack Pitts bipe with Orange 3 axis gyro stabilisation system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTHG_VcJahw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hands0n

@DarrellW - A nice couple of videos with you obviously enjoying yourself and showing great control in the elements ~~ 

Meanwhile, at the other end of the country; I was surveying my roof after the recent storms. Considering I wanted as much stability as possible I have to say that (a) the wind challenged the technology and (b) the professionals make this look much easier than it is ::)

http://youtu.be/yOErbfutyBM

--
Danny

guest325

Quote from: Hands0n on Sunday,February 02, 2014, 17:51:12
@DarrellW - A nice couple of videos with you obviously enjoying yourself and showing great control in the elements!
TBH Danny I love it,  it';s so much fun and so rewarding; it';s not easy as you well know but the more you do it the easier it gets; it';s like everything else practice practice practice!