Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,October 10, 2024, 18:18:29

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
12 May 2024 08:13:51
 I have some F1 Abusemark boards going spare,,,,,,,,,,,,,    ;)    :azn
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:12:29
And with oldskool parts  :D
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:11:57
I must be the only one doing tricopters right now  :laugh:
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:09:30
 :D
Gaza07:
11 May 2024 21:15:16
Domain has been renewed closure has been cancelled  :D
Gaza07:
02 May 2024 08:07:52
Who are most people ??? I think the person you are referring to has put in a lot of effort to keep things moving  :rolleyes:
hoverfly:
01 May 2024 10:16:12
Most people I have spoken to are pizzed off with the yellow peril  flooding the forum,go figure. :whistling:
Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,480
  • Total Topics: 20,271
  • Online today: 24
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 10
Total: 11

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Its official - I can crash in still air

Started by Hands0n, Sunday,December 01, 2013, 12:48:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Hands0n

Mother always used to say "The pride comes before the fall" - she must be having a quiet chuckle this morning  :laugh:

I dropped my Firefly 450 quad out of the sky this morning and snapped one of its rotor arms.  No harm done, I have a small stock - admittedly not dipped into for some considerable time.

So what went wrong then?  I got a bit flash and overcooked it a little bit after having a nice chat with a couple of dear ladies walking their dog nearby who had come over to comment on the "UFO". They were quite taken with it.  So as they walked off I continued with my flying, pushing the envelope a little bit - trying to get this cursed orientation into my brain.  We';re getting there but it is taking time for me to work out how to "see" which way it is facing when at height or distance.

Today when bringing it in to me, nose in, I got a bit too close to some trees to my left and went under the overhang, tried to back out, saw it climb, didn';t want to hit the tree and did that stupid thing I';ve not done for ages and dumped the throttle!  FFS! I know much better than to do that!  :slap:

Well the inevitable happened - gravity took over, I became a passenger  :popcorn: and the Firefly landed ungraciously on its right front rotor arm.

--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

jwl940

I feel for you HO; no pain no gain.

Orientation also gives me grief, after a few 10s of yards the quad is just a blob with 4 arms and no colours and the LEDs are no help in good daylight.  The best solution I';ve found so far is to count the arms as they rotate and try to make all turns balanced (banked) so I can see the quads profile clearly in the turns.  I';m getting there but oh so slowly.  Any tips gratefully received.

Marty McFly

thanks for your honest comments as allways,but your getting there and enjoying the journey,Marty, :scotland:

Biffa

Quote from: jwl940 on Sunday,December 01, 2013, 13:15:50
Any tips gratefully received.

Practice and more practice, also try and remember what you were doing before losing orientation.
Steve

jwl940

Thankfully my RTL switch gets me out of trouble and hasn';t put me in any deeper trouble (yet).  Perhaps I should ask Santa for more batteries.

Opto-Mystic

Danny, that is so sad  ::)
Would you like me to come and give a few flying lessons? :popcorn:
Donald

Hands0n

Hey Donald, if you';re seriously suggesting coming to Kent from Somerset ... I';ll have some of that  :rofl:

I have figured out that I really need a strategy for orientation, and that I haven';t quite sorted one out yet.  It is a common problem to that which my car driving pupils face (I';m a part time ADI) when they don';t know which way the wheel is turned (straight, one full turn right or one full turn left).  My answer to them is to stare intently out of the windscreen, and move the car one inch. If it moves left or right then that is the direction the wheel is turned, if going forwards. The opposite if going backwards.

Not such an easy strategy to adopt in the air, but what I am coming to by way of an idea is to Pitch the aircraft forward and see what happens. If nothing then it is either facing me or pointing away - in which case I Roll left or right and see if it follows or is opposite side to side movement. If it moves to the left then it is facing left or right then it is facing right.  That way I can start to figure out what to do to bring the aircraft closer to me so I can see what its doing.

All of this requires me to maintain calm and have some space to move in. Not so bad on a still air day, much more freaky on a windy day, in which case I have to try to use Loiter to give me some breathing space.

I';ve fitted LEDs to the front - white - they';re flipping useless against the sky in daylight.

Mind you, apart from this slight mishap my APM 2.5 equipped Firefly flew beautifully today. Loiter was like it was nailed to the sky, RTL test was 100%, as was Land. Stabilise was really effective, giving up the control for big stick movements  and taking stability and self-levelling control when centred.  Altitude Hold really worked well also. 

So this really was 100% pilot error.

NB: The rotor arm has been replaced and a short test flight/hover in back garden confirms nothing else broken.
--
Danny

Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

Dek

Maybe what';s needed is some sort of audio feedback system. A single continuous tone when directly facing away and an octave lower when facing towards. As the quad turns left or right it would become two tones varying in length until the quad is at 90 degrees to you when the tones would be the same length. You would have a gap between the playing of the tones so you would be able to work out whether port or starboard side is facing. I would think it would be fairly easy for the programmers to get the info from the gps and compass and work out where home is and the orientation of the quad relative to it (as per RTL). The tones could be generated on the transmitter over your telemetry link. If you programmed it to say the trainer switch, you could switch it on only when and for as long as needed to regain orientation.

Mad idea? I';ve got lots

Dek

guest325

That';s really bad luck, however brain f4rts are the real enemy and need to be exorcised! Oh plus keep away from the model magnets - advice also to self after this morning!

Biffa

Quote from: DarrellW on Sunday,December 01, 2013, 15:26:48 keep away from the model magnets - advice also to self after this morning!

Indeed, if there is something that can be hit, it inevitably will be :wack0
Steve

teslahed

QuoteI';ve fitted LEDs to the front - white - they';re flipping useless against the sky in daylight.

High Density Red and Green LED tape shows up the best in daylight conditions. I avoid white and also blue because those colours don';t show up as well against the sky. Blue is ok when it';s overcast.

At least it was a cheap crash - best kind ~~
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

guest325

Quote from: Biffa on Sunday,December 01, 2013, 15:37:00
Indeed, if there is something that can be hit, it inevitably will be :wack0
More commonly known as s@ds law  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Opto-Mystic

Well, Danny, after my facetious comment about giving you flaying lessons, I was thinking to my smug self... "Hmmm I haven';t crashed so far" (all of 5 flights) Now watch me have an Opps moment, i thought.

I took the quad outside to do a gentle flight... What happens? The Grand Architect of the Universe decided to intervene.

I has my first crash too! Bummer! On my neighbour';s roof. The only damage a very minor crack on the GPS dome the tips of two props look like a rottweiler gave them a nasty sucking and a very badly bruised ego!

I dunno what really happened. it was on GPS mode and suddenly decided to escape. Instead of gaining height to give me time to get it under proper control, I slowed the motors  :angry: :angry: :angry:

Just shows it can happen to the best of us :laugh:
Donald

Hands0n

Quote from: teslahed on Sunday,December 01, 2013, 15:38:22
High Density Red and Green LED tape shows up the best in daylight conditions. I avoid white and also blue because those colours don';t show up as well against the sky. Blue is ok when it';s overcast.

I have a reel each of red and green. Hadn';t got around to fitting it.  I';ll give the other two colours a try and perhaps just aim the white downwards or something.  I';ve also got that Red/White strobe to try out. Just don';t have a spare RC channel to give it (the thing uses the RC PWM to known when to be on or off ...).

Ah, model magnets. Yes. Hmmm  :hmm: 
--
Danny

Hands0n

Quote from: Opto-Mystic on Sunday,December 01, 2013, 16:31:20
Well, Danny, after my facetious comment about giving you flaying lessons, I was thinking to my smug self... "Hmmm I haven';t crashed so far" (all of 5 flights) Now watch me have an Opps moment, i thought.

I took the quad outside to do a gentle flight... What happens? The Grand Architect of the Universe decided to intervene.

I has my first crash too! Bummer! On my neighbour';s roof. The only damage a very minor crack on the GPS dome the tips of two props look like a rottweiler gave them a nasty sucking and a very badly bruised ego!

I dunno what really happened. it was on GPS mode and suddenly decided to escape. Instead of gaining height to give me time to get it under proper control, I slowed the motors  :angry: :angry: :angry:

Just shows it can happen to the best of us :laugh:

Awww Donald, thats rough. It wasn';t me though. I swear.  :crossfingers: I didn';t put the JooJoo on you  :laugh:

That "slowing the motors" is an absolute curse of mine!  For as long as I am in my comfort zone all is okay. The moment it gets all hairy I';ll dump the throttle and watch it fall to earth.  I am trying hard to rehearse the various saving strategies so that the muscle memory doesn';t do the caveman panic thing  :rofl:

Glad not too much damage done to yours mate.
--
Danny