Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Saturday,October 12, 2024, 04:24:37

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
12 May 2024 08:13:51
 I have some F1 Abusemark boards going spare,,,,,,,,,,,,,    ;)    :azn
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:12:29
And with oldskool parts  :D
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:11:57
I must be the only one doing tricopters right now  :laugh:
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:09:30
 :D
Gaza07:
11 May 2024 21:15:16
Domain has been renewed closure has been cancelled  :D
Gaza07:
02 May 2024 08:07:52
Who are most people ??? I think the person you are referring to has put in a lot of effort to keep things moving  :rolleyes:
hoverfly:
01 May 2024 10:16:12
Most people I have spoken to are pizzed off with the yellow peril  flooding the forum,go figure. :whistling:
Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,480
  • Total Topics: 20,271
  • Online today: 10
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 8
Total: 8

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

How cold do you go?

Started by Toledodave, Sunday,November 24, 2013, 13:54:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Toledodave

What kinds of temperatures do you operate in. When is it too cold for flight controllers, motors, esc';s, cameras to operate?

nub

i usually fly right through the winter if i can, never had a problem with the cold affecting anything or haven';t ever noticed it on my heli';s before, quads well this will be my 1st winter with them, would be interesting to hear if the cold will affect the camera';s in some way, everything else should be ok i would have thought.
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

steve fh

The only cold weather issue I';ve encountered so far (apart from cold hands) is Ice build up on the props one very cold slightly misty morning.

It was taking more and more power to hold a hover and when i landed to see what was going on there was ice on the leading edge of each prop blade.
BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

[url="//www.capturedmotion.co.uk"]www.capturedmotion.co.uk[/url]

Toledodave

Awesome thats good news. I was worried. Temps here in northern ohio was 13 degrees this morning. I have the bugs worked out I hope and wanted to try today aftwr work.

Biffa

When your hands hurt, then it';s about time to stop flying.
Steve

guest325

I was out this morning with it being +2 deg to start with then warming up to +5; my fingers were numb after about 5mins of hooning about which is about what I get from a 3S 2200 giving it beans! Coming down to land with a warm lipo is a godsend  ::)   ::)  ::)

Toledodave

Haha thats a good idea!  You may be the first with a lipo hand warmer! :)

Jumpy07

Most flight controllers are only rated to -10c ..  (Naza, WKM and A2).

BNUC-S Pilot with PfCo /PFAW.
UAQ / CAA PfCo Instructor / Flight Assessor

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

dirtyharry

watch out for hot glue fixes , it goes very stiff and not so gluey ( if thats a word)  when cold and stuff falls off ( including my camera last year)

ktnch

used to be a hot season flyer due to hands getting so cold in the winter and hurt to move them, now got some of the heated pads that last a few hours gloves over the top and im off again, some of the mornings in winter are much better than the summers in term of visibility and clear skies

guest325

Agree with you there, it also can be less windy - great morning';s flying this morning apart from numb fingers :-)

fruitsalad

i do a lot of night flying,
it gets bloody freezing some nights,only damage been due to my fumbling numb fingers  :laugh:
all good fun tho..
dont grow up,just buy bigger toys!!!!

Opto-Mystic

Did my first ever flight this afternoon. -1c
Bloomin'; cold...
Donald

Wireless

I';ve flown in sub-zero conditions before with my Parkzone Radian sailplane, but the limiting factor has always been the temperature of electronics and my hands...! I';ve had the LCD screen on the Tx go completely blank or just show gobbledegook and had voltage warnings on Tx packs because they just can';t deliver the juice at low temps. Flight LiPos have always been OK for me as I make sure they are warm before I start. I certainly wouldn';t be operating my helicopters or MR at low temps. as I just don';t know how all the components will behave and I cannot justify the risk of stuffing one into the deck...!

Toledodave

Wireless..freezing my copter is my fear too. 6 months ago I didnt even know what a multicopter was. I jumped in head first and HKPlatnium member later im doing. I made some mistakes but I did it. I had no friends to refur to just resources to learn and figure it out. Still learning and loving it.

Col_M

I flew on Dartmoor at the weekend, the wind was the worst aspect, best to cover exposed skin. Thankfully I had a pair of these so fingers and thumbs could come out to play when flying or fiddling ~~

http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/gloves/kj351-outdoor-sports-mitten-olive.html

Will have to see how cold I can go, though to be fair southern UK is pretty warm in winter, at least not compared to the regular -15C winters I';m used to.
TBS Discovery : DRQ-250 : Q450 : Blade mQX

FlyinMarty

4 degrees....that';s what it was today.

Discovered I can fly with gloves on (thin wollen ones)  after I forgot to take them off for my third pack,
Blade Nano QX
Immersion Vortex 285
 Blade mCPx Heli

Jumpy07

As air gets colder it gets more dense..  so better lift on your multi.. but cold air effects Lipo';s performance.. so there is a trade off.

Ice can form on props.. if cold and damp..   this is dangerous..

Barometer can ice up.. as well

Electronics only rated to -10c normally on multis..

ESC timing can drift in cold.. especially if you don';t have external timer circuit..    not a big issue.. but can change flight characteristics..

Not putting people off flying in the cold.. but would avoid anything less than -10c
BNUC-S Pilot with PfCo /PFAW.
UAQ / CAA PfCo Instructor / Flight Assessor

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"