Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,September 19, 2024, 22:11:54

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
12 May 2024 08:13:51
 I have some F1 Abusemark boards going spare,,,,,,,,,,,,,    ;)    :azn
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:12:29
And with oldskool parts  :D
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:11:57
I must be the only one doing tricopters right now  :laugh:
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:09:30
 :D
Gaza07:
11 May 2024 21:15:16
Domain has been renewed closure has been cancelled  :D
Gaza07:
02 May 2024 08:07:52
Who are most people ??? I think the person you are referring to has put in a lot of effort to keep things moving  :rolleyes:
hoverfly:
01 May 2024 10:16:12
Most people I have spoken to are pizzed off with the yellow peril  flooding the forum,go figure. :whistling:
Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,478
  • Total Topics: 20,271
  • Online today: 34
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 35
Total: 35

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

V-tail design questions.

Started by dockman, Saturday,November 23, 2013, 01:12:52

Previous topic - Next topic

dockman

Okies, I am working on a v-tail design and have been trying to figure one thing out without success.  Motor placement!  I have looked over god knows how many v-tails to try and get an idea on how to space my motors to get good results.  Best pic I have found was of one of the Dialfonzo hunter v-tails that puts the back v-tail assembly centre line at the radius the front motors are from the flight controller board.  I have included the pic in case my description isn';t clear to all.

Any input on placement and spacing of motors from those that have built v-tails would be appreciated. 
I fly stuff

guest325

I built one not so long ago, it turned out to be a bit heavy for acro which was what I wanted but is nice and stable and would make a good camera ship. If you were to make it substantially lighter it would be good for acros!
http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=3887.0
If you want any further info on what I did just ask.

Biffa

Here are some pics of mine.

[attach=1]

[attach=2]

[attach=3]

If I am honest I never put any thought into motor placement or design at all - I just built it with bits and bobs and from my head. The only specific part is that the motor angle is at 40 degrees which seems to be the optimum and the peoples choice.

As you can see, it also flys reasonably well in the video below:

http://youtu.be/zLY44g1WPkE
Steve

Riggsbie

dockman

Thanks for the responses guys. 

Next challenge is to come up with a way to make the v-tail I am happy with out of G10.  This is where I wish I had a CNC, still cutting this stuff by hand  ::)
I fly stuff

guest325

Biggest thing you need is patience, and being analytical about what you are doing, I did a hell of a lot of research before I made mine - and still made it too heavy, mostly down to me wanting it to be reasonably crash proof.

dockman

Yeah I have been toiling over this for well over a month and have gone through many designs and even made a bit of a prototype.  If I cant get the accuracy I want out of the G10 for the v-tail portion I might just go for a small quad.  One way or another I am going to use the motor mounts I got from teslahead, I have already made a quad out of them but I am dead set on trying to make a v-tail.
I fly stuff

guest325

I know exactly where you are coming from, I tried the V tail route to get a better yaw response but and it is a big but, do you really need it? The way I hoon about with my Crius 450 quad I';m no longer really convinced, there again I';m no real acro flier!  I think the main reason for me having a go is the sense of adventure - I was dead chuffed when it would actually fly!
Don';t give up on an idea that at some time in the future you might regret not having a go at!

dockman

I might end up looking for someone or someplace that can CNC the frame for me, I have the material already.   The prototype v-tail assembly I have already made has to many parts is to heavy in my opinion. 

I am a bit of a perfectionist so if a part I hand cut isn';t damn near perfect it tends to get scrapped.  It dose not help that I can tell when something is as little as 1mm off.

I have however come up with a nice quad design that I might give a try in the mean time while I work on the v-tail.

Here is a pic of where the teslahead motor mounts are currently.

I fly stuff