Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,September 06, 2024, 18:35:42

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
12 May 2024 08:13:51
 I have some F1 Abusemark boards going spare,,,,,,,,,,,,,    ;)    :azn
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:12:29
And with oldskool parts  :D
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:11:57
I must be the only one doing tricopters right now  :laugh:
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:09:30
 :D
Gaza07:
11 May 2024 21:15:16
Domain has been renewed closure has been cancelled  :D
Gaza07:
02 May 2024 08:07:52
Who are most people ??? I think the person you are referring to has put in a lot of effort to keep things moving  :rolleyes:
hoverfly:
01 May 2024 10:16:12
Most people I have spoken to are pizzed off with the yellow peril  flooding the forum,go figure. :whistling:
Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,476
  • Total Topics: 20,271
  • Online today: 21
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 11
Total: 11

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Afro 20a slim ESCs

Started by Chippercheese, Wednesday,November 20, 2013, 13:03:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Chippercheese

Hi all

I';ve just spotted these slim ESCs and wondered, would it be safe/advisable to try and fit them into the carbon fiber arms of a Talon V2 frame?

They';re just sat there tempting me to buy them
TBS Discovery + ghetto printed gimbal, HovershipMHQ 1 & 2, QAV250, Turnigy Talon V2, chinese Alien500 thingie, 3d Printed Tricopter, Bix 3, [url="//flyingwings.co.uk"]Flyingwings.co.uk[/url] FalconEVO, Venturi EVO 1+2, Hornet Racing Wing, Radjet800 (by the dozen)... Permanent sucker for FPV, and lots and lots of OpenLR

teslahed

If you do try them let me know.

In theory they are just the regular Afro ESCs in a different form factor so they should work absolutely fine. If you can fit them into the tubular arms that would look very neat, as long as they get enough cooling.

According to the description;

QuoteThe NEW Slim is really a 30a ESC with 2x15 amp N-MOSFET's per channel x3 (same as the 30a) but was de-rated only because of the 20AWG wiring that was selected for ease of installations and to require less cooling for those tight installs, So have no worries if your set-up is on the edge.

which sounds like a good thing to me.
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

Hoppy1977

I bought one of these to see if I could make it fit in a CF tube with an ID of 12mm. When I took off the original heat-shrink and shaved as much as I could off the edges of the PCB it would fit in the tube, but when I put the heat shrink back on it would *just* not quite go. So if you need it to fit in a Talon V2 frame - don';t bother.

Chippercheese

Quote from: Hoppy1977 on Tuesday,January 07, 2014, 10:36:07
I bought one of these to see if I could make it fit in a CF tube with an ID of 12mm. When I took off the original heat-shrink and shaved as much as I could off the edges of the PCB it would fit in the tube, but when I put the heat shrink back on it would *just* not quite go. So if you need it to fit in a Talon V2 frame - don';t bother.

I went with the 4-in-1 ESC instead (just arrived yesterday) so I';ll mount that in the frame and run extended wires through the cf tubes
TBS Discovery + ghetto printed gimbal, HovershipMHQ 1 & 2, QAV250, Turnigy Talon V2, chinese Alien500 thingie, 3d Printed Tricopter, Bix 3, [url="//flyingwings.co.uk"]Flyingwings.co.uk[/url] FalconEVO, Venturi EVO 1+2, Hornet Racing Wing, Radjet800 (by the dozen)... Permanent sucker for FPV, and lots and lots of OpenLR

teslahed

Quote from: Hoppy1977 on Tuesday,January 07, 2014, 10:36:07

If the ESC only just fits - do you need to run it with heatshrink? If the edges of the circuit board are non conductive and it';s wedged in there hard - is there any risk of a short circuit? I do realise carbon fibre is conductive so you';d need to be confident it was wedged in securely.

The only risk would be if it started raining, any water running into your tubes would affect the ESCs quicker without heatshrink than it would with - heatshrink only makes things a bit more water resistant though so unless you are going for wet weather performance this may not matter.

On the plus side ESCs run cooler without heatshrink so if you have them in a well ventilated tube without the covering - they might run cooler. Not a bad thing that.

If you really want to cover the ESCs - instead of using heatshrink use sellotape wrapped around. It looks rubbish but it';s much thinner and you wont see it anyway.

Quote from: Chippercheese on Tuesday,January 07, 2014, 10:39:02
I went with the 4-in-1 ESC instead (just arrived yesterday) so I';ll mount that in the frame and run extended wires through the cf tubes

I hope you went with one of the ones that comes flashed with BLHeli firmware!
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.