User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Bad Raven: Balance lead extensions are pence from China, I bought bulk. I also cut the old balance plugs with lead off and if I get a broken plug body I just solder a new one lead to lead, can extend at the same time.
    Today at 14:17:22
  • Reman: Bajadre, With reference to balance leads, I bought a cheap JST XH crimper, plus a shed load of male/female plugs and pins a while back. It's amazing how many times that lots come in handy. Not just for repairing battery packs, But for things like adding quick release plugs to wiring harnesses so you can do things like pop gimbels on and off camera drones quickly, Or add plugs to the cables of hardwired components so you don't have to desolder them when you need to get them out of the way in a rebuild, And making charging extension leads so you can get the battery right into a Li-Po safe bag and away from the expensive charger. They're well worth adding to the toolbox..... The other day I only spent about 5 minutes hunting for my 4S charging lead before giving up and making a new one. If I didn't have the crimping kit I'd probabbly still be looking. :)
    Today at 14:00:55
  • hoverfly: Not unusual Reman, they just cant be ar$ed to deliversome if they get behind schedule.. Yesterday i had a delivery by Herpies,  got a sms telling me when they were going to deliver, then rang the door bell and knocked. The parcel was intact and damage free.  Not sure what is going on.... :hmm:
    Today at 13:23:11
  • Bad Raven: Where is it broken?
    Today at 13:22:29
  • hoverfly: If you cut them off make sure  you insulate the ends. :smiley:
    Today at 13:18:42
  • Bajadre: Quick question guys is it ok to snip off a broken balance lead and not run it i know i wouldnt be able to balance charge it again but would the pack be ok ? its a 3s 5500mah which the lead got dragged along the floor on sundays bahs :(
    Today at 12:44:55
  • Reman: About an hour ago I had the Yodel tracking system tell me that I wasn't in...... That's f*ckin' news to me !!!!!
    Today at 10:17:20
  • Reman: Like I said, In the past I've had a handful of packs "Go off" at me like fireworks after bad crashes (Usually with RC helis), So it's hard to get that image out of your head while stripping down Li-Po's. :)
    January 21, 2019, 11:22:54
  • shawdreamer: the horror stories will always incite worry when messing about with Lipo's but its the same as everything else when working on electronics alike, alsong as your careful and methodical there's very little to panic about, I regularly recycle 4s's with a single dead cell into usable 3s packs, end of the days its alot more economical, safer and enviro friendly than having to bin them....just a pain that the dead cell is NEVER one of the outer cells so you always end up having to strip a good cell off to get at the bad cell before putting it back afterwards, its like dropping toast, it'll always land buttered side down and inevitably covered in pet fur :angry:
    January 21, 2019, 00:11:16
  • Reman: Just did the one electrical job that still scares me. I dismantled some Lipo's with knacked cells and built usable packs out of the good cells. I've had packs go "VOOOOOOSH" at me in the past so I'm always slightly scared of having bare lipo contacts anywhere near what I'm working on, But all appears to have gone well and one of them is currently doing a charge/discharge cycle to make sure nothings a miss. :)
    January 20, 2019, 22:28:43
  • Reman: My original Dremel Pro made it to 14 years of heavy weekend use (And abuse) before it crocked. Dismantled that but it turned out to be a "Control module" fault, And Dremel made it ni on impossible to get into that without pooching it completely. :(
    January 20, 2019, 22:17:27
  • ched999uk: BR  ::)
    January 16, 2019, 22:26:54
  • Bad Raven: That's a warrnty claim if ever I heard one....
    January 16, 2019, 20:32:55
  • ched999uk: My 28 year old 12v 35w Weller soldering iron failed  :( I didn't fancy forking out £100 for a new one. Stripped it down and found conductor snapped in cable. 10Mins later all back working great. :smiley: ::) I am very happy!!
    January 16, 2019, 17:23:06
  • shawdreamer: "look up there....its a drone!.....and whats this noise?..... no.....no..... it cant be!....NOOOOOOOO.......OOOOOOOOOOOOOPS I DID IT AGAIN, I PLAYED WITH YOUR HEAR....."
    January 10, 2019, 14:17:24
  • shawdreamer: <starts downloading britney spears albums and preping his large frame to carry a PA system>
    January 10, 2019, 14:15:08
  • Bajadre: defo steveo :) we should get loads of drones together up there so how they handle more that one lol
    January 08, 2019, 19:39:07
  • steveo9007: its all a ploy to get who ever has won the contract for geofencing the airport in, i reckon  ::)
    January 08, 2019, 18:38:26
  • Bajadre: more lies hope they prepped the police staement already lol
    January 08, 2019, 18:27:49
  • Bad Raven: Take Offs resumed
    January 08, 2019, 18:24:45

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Current way off  (Read 172 times)

Offline tipsy trucker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 34
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
Current way off
« on: January 13, 2019, 03:27:37 »
I'm not sure I'm all that worried about this as the battery level is enough for me but I do like to have things "right"

This is on a 120mm eachine hornet with hglrc tower including omnibus f4 v2 and hglrc blheli_s 4in1 using dshot600. I'm afraid I don't know a lot more than that as it came prebuilt.

In betaflight and on the osd it's reading around 50A without the motors running - measured the real draw is 0.55A. I've found changing the scale to 16000 (the highest it'll go) gets the value very close ~.6A but the reading doesn't change when I arm the motors and actually draw some current (I've tried 1,2,3&4A measured but betaflight and osd stay at .6A (give or take) no matter what. I don't think I've tried properly with the scale set at zero bit I think it did just the same - read about 50A no matter what.

I've done some digging and I'm almost certain the esc has a current sensor but that's about as far as I got other than I need to check two pads have a solder "jumper" across them. Can anyone shead any light please?

Offline ched999uk

• Liked: 671
Re: Current way off
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 11:22:08 »
Looking at the HGLRC XJB F413 stack I can't see a current sensor (Big shunt resistor). It doesn't seem to be listed as a feature on either the FC or the ESC.
Normally the battery cable is connected to either FC or ESC board then the +ve goes through a large resistor (4mm) and goes on to power everything else.
BLHeli_32 can have built in telemetry using a uart including current but these esc are BLHeli_S.

I think BF has a virtual current sensor which guestimates the current. If you look at the power tab in BF it should show where the 'sensor' is i.e. on board or virtual, I think.

Might be worth looking at a few youtube reviews to see if they talk about current sensors or you can see current readouts on OSD.

Offline tipsy trucker

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 11:32:00 »
It says (from memory) abd onboard in both top tabs

I can't remember where I found about the current sensor but I do remember it was on the escs, I'll have another look though just in case.

I'll also try changing those tabs to virtual, you never know. Thanks Ched

Offline tipsy trucker

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 13:32:22 »
You're absolutely right  ~~ I found the manual for it and the current sensor should be set to "none"

Seems I was reading the sales pitch I think  :rolleyes:

The only other issue I have at the moment is with the vtx, I can change the output power but it "springs" straight back to 25mw, just a guess but I think it might default to that with a 5v supply  :shrug: unless the firmware's set for the uk. I can tell you it's only any good up to about 100yds and only if I don't get in the way of the signal  :-/

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 13:38:52 »
There are quite a few vtx coming out 'locked' to 25mW. Have a look in the manual or for HGLRC vtx unlock on google. That should enable you to get higher powers.

Just had a quick look and it might just be that you hold the power button on vtx for 6 seconds then short tap to cycle through 25mW, 100mW, 200mW and 350mW.

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 13:47:55 »
Just had another thought. Have you tried the BetaFlight OSD? Access by throttle mid, yaw left and pitch full forward, and viewable via your goggles. Then you should be able to get into the 'Features' menu then vtx then select 200mW and the freq you want and roll right to set the settings. I have a feeling that the vtx power setting in osd is 4 or 5 levels and they might not match the mW output of your vtx but I think they will select the correct one i.e. second one will be 100mW on your vtx.

Hopefully that will help and you can see if the vtx display indicates the higher power.

Offline tipsy trucker

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 15:09:23 »
Thankyou, I'd just been trying the osd as it happens  but I can't get the menu at all. Is there a box I need to tick in betaflight  (I can't see anything obvious)?

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 16:26:28 »
No box to tick other than having the OSD on (config tab I think) so if you have stuff on the display on your goggles it should be working. Go on osd tab and drag voltage to middle of screen just to test. So make sure the OSD is switched on via Betaflight, then power quad via battery (no props) and put your goggles on and you should see the voltage in middle of screen where you dragged it. Mid throttle + yaw left + pitch forward all at once. You should see osd menu. If no try auto, pal or ntsc on the osd tab in bf.

That said if HGLRC have left the camera OSD on that will give voltage etc at the bottom of the goggles. So that could make you think the BF osd is on when it's the cameras OSD. A little confusing but the BF osd is flexible plus allows you to adjust things while out in the field.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 16:41:16 by ched999uk »

Offline tipsy trucker

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 17:43:34 »
I've sorted it, I'm not sure how but I got a couple of things a bit muddled up and ended up pressing the "reset everything" button and starting from scratch. Eventually I got everything set back to how I'd set it up and the menu works now too!

I'm just praying for less wind now so I can get out for another 30 minutes of crashing and searching for the tiny quad somewhere in a football pitch 😂 I now have a much louder beeper on it though so hopefully that'll be much easier

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 18:50:07 »
Just one thing that might be worth doing.
In BetaFlight CLI tab type diff in the box down the bottom. The list of text in the top box is what settings on the quad are different from the default. If you copy and paste this text into a text file on your computer you then have a backup of the betaflight settings.
So should you ever need to replace the FC or just mess something up and want to go back you copy the text from your backup, past it into the CLI hit enter then type save and enter. Bingo it should be back to the way it is now, as long as the FC is running the same version of BF.

Looks like wind is dying down tomorrow, so good luck and happy flying.

Offline shawdreamer

• Liked: 832
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 18:55:26 »
There are quite a few vtx coming out 'locked' to 25mW. Have a look in the manual or for HGLRC vtx unlock on google. That should enable you to get higher powers.

Just had a quick look and it might just be that you hold the power button on vtx for 6 seconds then short tap to cycle through 25mW, 100mW, 200mW and 350mW.

but but but........ that'd be illegal  :blink :blink :blink
550 custom H-copter (redesigned)
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard
Project Sparkie (under repair)
https://www.thingiverse.com/shawdreamer/designs

Offline tipsy trucker

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 20:15:10 »
It is.... but it's nice to know it could be changed if you went abroad or if the law changed. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

For arguments sake though; if 25mw is only getting about 100yds with my setup and I'm at least 800yds from any residences or anything else, what harm is say 200mw going to do (in reality)......

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 22:07:42 »
I had assumed tipsy trucker was in a country that allowed higher power vtx, well that's my story and I am sticking to it  :whistling: :whistling:
Obviously we would never use an illegal power or frequency.

5.8Ghz is also the band TV video sender use  ::) ::) ::) ::) So you might inadvertently be supplying someone with your video feed over their tv sender  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline tipsy trucker

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 22:14:58 »
Haha, then they too can get fpv sick and also sick of crashes....