User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • ched999uk: BR  ::)
    January 16, 2019, 22:26:54
  • Bad Raven: That's a warrnty claim if ever I heard one....
    January 16, 2019, 20:32:55
  • ched999uk: My 28 year old 12v 35w Weller soldering iron failed  :( I didn't fancy forking out £100 for a new one. Stripped it down and found conductor snapped in cable. 10Mins later all back working great. :smiley: ::) I am very happy!!
    January 16, 2019, 17:23:06
  • shawdreamer: "look up there....its a drone!.....and whats this noise?..... no.....no..... it cant be!....NOOOOOOOO.......OOOOOOOOOOOOOPS I DID IT AGAIN, I PLAYED WITH YOUR HEAR....."
    January 10, 2019, 14:17:24
  • shawdreamer: <starts downloading britney spears albums and preping his large frame to carry a PA system>
    January 10, 2019, 14:15:08
  • Bajadre: defo steveo :) we should get loads of drones together up there so how they handle more that one lol
    January 08, 2019, 19:39:07
  • steveo9007: its all a ploy to get who ever has won the contract for geofencing the airport in, i reckon  ::)
    January 08, 2019, 18:38:26
  • Bajadre: more lies hope they prepped the police staement already lol
    January 08, 2019, 18:27:49
  • Bad Raven: Take Offs resumed
    January 08, 2019, 18:24:45
  • steveo9007: yeah not good though is it..what will come out of this now its happened at both major airports  :o
    January 08, 2019, 18:05:13
  • Bad Raven: Planes still landing, appears take offs affected
    January 08, 2019, 18:02:47
  • steveo9007: newsflash people, drone sighting at Heathrow Airport  just received on news app..
    January 08, 2019, 17:54:07
  • shawdreamer: tsk x2, just checked my thingiverse messages too... another a8 owner asking if one of my designs would work with his printer.... I said no as its not fire proof.... now he seems confused :confused:
    January 05, 2019, 15:35:09
  • hoverfly: Some people,  he's probably heading for a Darwin award... :laugh:
    January 05, 2019, 13:58:53
  • shawdreamer: tsk.... a new Anet A8 owner asking for mod suggestions for his xmas first printer on thingiverse... I suggested a fire suppression system or atleast a wall mount for a fire extinguisher and smoke alarm..... he removed my post.... no helping some people :shrug:
    January 05, 2019, 12:42:05
  • Reman: I did double check it with a metre (Mainly because I knew if I didn't check the polarity this would be the time the manufacturer had gone off script and put the negative in the middle of the coax) and felt slightly cheated because it was only making 19.7 volts. :)
    January 04, 2019, 14:01:11
  • Bajadre: yeah heat and wring never a good thing only a matter of time :(
    January 04, 2019, 10:12:57
  • Bad Raven: Well, it should! Rated for 24v. Be careful, have you checked the PSU output?  Many psu that (say) are supposed to be 12v actually output 16-18v. Is your 20v actually less than 24v??
    January 04, 2019, 08:41:14
  • Reman: Just modified the cable on a 20V 7A PSU to connect to my TS100........ It.... Erm..... Heats up a bit quicker than it did on 12V. LOL !!!
    January 03, 2019, 20:04:11
  • Reman: I didn't try to taste it, but it gave off that kind of smell that gets you in the back of the throat. :)
    January 03, 2019, 16:18:35

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Where are all the "Freestyle Hexacopters"?  (Read 256 times)

Offline Reman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 212
  • Fly, Crash, Rebuild, Repeat.
Where are all the "Freestyle Hexacopters"?
« on: December 25, 2018, 22:54:07 »
Yesterday I noticed that Realacc seem to have dropped the 5" 275mm "Sphinx" hex frame that I really like. Even with the 1806 motors I made fit mine (For longer flight duration on smaller/lighter lipo packs) it's got enough grunt to be really fun, and it's SOOOOO relaxing to fly. It doesn't get buffeted about by light wind like my smaller quads do, and although not describable as "Quick", it's got enough in reserve to get me out of trouble on those rare occasions when I manage to react with fingers rather than having to think what my digits need to do first.  :smiley: . I'm sure that if I'd fitted 2205's to this it would have been a monster...... And quicker than my reactions could cope with.  :-/

Considering the consensus was that the Sphinxes arms were probably pretty weak I must have been quite lucky not to break mine yet, But now I can't even easily get a full replacment frame for parts I've become sufficiently worried about breaking it that I've started looking for a backup plan in case the worst happens...... That's where the problems start.

There seems to to be very few companies making anything like this frame. Nothing close to the style or price bracket on BangGood, And AliExpress only list an interesting 3"
(An RD180. Sufficiently interesting that I may try to get hold of one for a future build) or a rather heavy and chunky looking 5" (RD290). I can't seem to find anything similar listed on any of the other usual suspects either.

I've never had a hex that didn't fly well, And the two more freestyle orientated hex frames I've had have been pretty agile but also feel very solidly "locked in", even in less than ideal wind conditions they've been predictable in flight, so I'm surprised there aren't more freestyle/racer hex frames out there........ Or are there, And I just haven't found them?

Anyone got suggestions for other 5" freestyle hex's I've missed (And possibly a sexy 3" hex I might like better than the RD180.  :embarrassed)?

I need a pay rise........ Though I'd settle for a reduction in the amount of hours I need to work to get the same money.

Offline Bad Raven

• Liked: 660
Re: Where are all the "Freestyle Hexacopters"?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 08:40:30 »
Could be an interesting thread here.

Personally, with loads of Quads from 65mm to 450mm, many assembled by me, I have never owned a Hex.  Only ever flown one once, too, and that was a "toy" which told me not a lot (the buyer could not fly it at all well, so asked me to try, it flew OK, so it was him!!).

Other than the pretty obvious "advantage" of redundancy and possibly greater stability with large load carriers/camera luggers, for freestyle they just seem to add complexity where its not needed, but always ready to listen.

Offline Bajadre

• Site Sponsor
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 10:01:59 »
my mate used to run the TBS GEMINI that was a fun freestyler hex  :cool:
Emax nighthawk 280,Emax x4,Blade 350qx3,dx6 (gen2),fatshark doms v2.

Offline Bad Raven

• Liked: 660
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 11:56:58 »
Mixed opinions on RCG about it.

I think the bottom line is this:-

We are not talking large load lugger, but light agile freestyle flying. So what does a Hex offer that makes it worth the increased weight, current consumption, two extra motors, ESCs, and frame arms?

Offline Fletch

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 373
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 16:29:46 »
Draw it up in CAD and have it cut in Carbon .....

Offline wiesner8

• Liked: 0
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 21:57:04 »
Can anyone help i am new to the quad show i have the crappy dji that fly themselves but i have bought a mobula 7 to fly with my DX6I can anyone give me a CLI setup to work with my Mobula 7 on dx spektrum please i can bind it just cant get the damn thing to fly pfffff

Online ched999uk

• Liked: 667
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 22:01:34 »
Can anyone help i am new to the quad show i have the crappy dji that fly themselves but i have bought a mobula 7 to fly with my DX6I can anyone give me a CLI setup to work with my Mobula 7 on dx spektrum please i can bind it just cant get the damn thing to fly pfffff
Best to post a new thread with Mobula7 & dx spectrum in title.
Have you managed to bind the rx to your tx? When connected to Betaflight have you set rx to correct one? The instructions for the FlySky rx on the Mobula7 are good did yours come with a manual for the spectrum dmsx rx?
Just had a quick look and this might help: http://www.happymodel.cn/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Crazybee-F3DX-PRO-DSM2-DSMX-Version-manual.pdf
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 22:05:02 by ched999uk »

Offline atomiclama

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Liked: 805
  • Uhh! What's that then, Oh! new project.
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 22:28:18 »
I found quite a few hex frames in my wanderings.
Need to find them again give me a few days.

Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline Fletch

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 373
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 22:31:01 »
Have a look on Armattan productions ... I'm sure somebody will have come up with a few!

Offline atomiclama

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 10:03:45 »
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 10:09:50 by atomiclama »
Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline Reman

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 10:52:33 »
Well, it seems that just after I started this thread banggood found a pair of the Sphinx 275 mm kits down the back of a workbench or something.

I've just ordered one of them as spares, but I think before using any of it I'm going to lay all the carbon parts out on my scanner (With a couple of rulers for scale) and look into the possibility of someone with a CNC router making a handful of slightly wider 5 mm carbon arms for the frame.

Mine's an absolute cherry of a flyer, and Realacc's disinterest in selling spare arms for it is almost a criminal oversite, so if they don't want to sell any upgraded arms for this maybe somebody else should.

It could even be an option to tweak the dimensions and (If I can find a 20x20mm flight controller with 6 motor outputs) get the parts for a 3 inch version cut at the same time.   :hmm:
I need a pay rise........ Though I'd settle for a reduction in the amount of hours I need to work to get the same money.

Offline Dave@F.P.heaVen

• Liked: 7
  • You win, gravity
    • F.P.heaVen
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 16:37:51 »
There are still a few options out there but not many. Its a configuration that never really caught on in the racing and freestyle worlds.
Its fairly popular in agriculture and there are even a few X-Class racers about.

The proper 'big boys' (Camera crews) tend to use octo's for their lifting ability, stability & redundancy and the speed freaks (racers/freestylers) use light little quads. Hex's are left somewhere in the middle and don't get much love :cry

I like the smaller racing/freestyle hex's for their 'cool factor' and the fact they are a bit different, they also sound awesome :smiley:

Offline atomiclama

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 19:50:08 »
they also sound awesome :smiley:

I can vouch for that, 6S hex sounds  :evil
Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline Reman

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 22:51:45 »
So what does a Hex offer that makes it worth the increased weight, current consumption, two extra motors, ESCs, and frame arms?

I'm not really sure. It's a different kind of flying. I like my hexs because to me they've tended to feel a little more stable, And LOT more predictable, But they can still boogy reasonably well when I start flapping the sticks.

I'm not a quick pilot, And I don't get enough stick time to constantly fly by instinct (As in, I sometimes have to slow down and think about stick movements when I REALLY get into trouble rather than just reacting), So I sometimes like flying something that doesn't try to bury itself 6" into the ground the moment things go slightly wrong. I find 230/250mm quads on 2205 motors to be a tad "Frantic" in the air (A bit like a house fly), They're fun in the same way that chucking a sports car sideways down a twisty country lane at silly speeds can be fun, But the slightly heavier hex's are (For want of a better word) a more "Floaty" and relaxing thing to fly. I suppose that's like how lazily driving through the countryside, Apexing every corner, But not really pushing it that hard can be fun.