User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Bad Raven: Balance lead extensions are pence from China, I bought bulk. I also cut the old balance plugs with lead off and if I get a broken plug body I just solder a new one lead to lead, can extend at the same time.
    Today at 14:17:22
  • Reman: Bajadre, With reference to balance leads, I bought a cheap JST XH crimper, plus a shed load of male/female plugs and pins a while back. It's amazing how many times that lots come in handy. Not just for repairing battery packs, But for things like adding quick release plugs to wiring harnesses so you can do things like pop gimbels on and off camera drones quickly, Or add plugs to the cables of hardwired components so you don't have to desolder them when you need to get them out of the way in a rebuild, And making charging extension leads so you can get the battery right into a Li-Po safe bag and away from the expensive charger. They're well worth adding to the toolbox..... The other day I only spent about 5 minutes hunting for my 4S charging lead before giving up and making a new one. If I didn't have the crimping kit I'd probabbly still be looking. :)
    Today at 14:00:55
  • hoverfly: Not unusual Reman, they just cant be ar$ed to deliversome if they get behind schedule.. Yesterday i had a delivery by Herpies,  got a sms telling me when they were going to deliver, then rang the door bell and knocked. The parcel was intact and damage free.  Not sure what is going on.... :hmm:
    Today at 13:23:11
  • Bad Raven: Where is it broken?
    Today at 13:22:29
  • hoverfly: If you cut them off make sure  you insulate the ends. :smiley:
    Today at 13:18:42
  • Bajadre: Quick question guys is it ok to snip off a broken balance lead and not run it i know i wouldnt be able to balance charge it again but would the pack be ok ? its a 3s 5500mah which the lead got dragged along the floor on sundays bahs :(
    Today at 12:44:55
  • Reman: About an hour ago I had the Yodel tracking system tell me that I wasn't in...... That's f*ckin' news to me !!!!!
    Today at 10:17:20
  • Reman: Like I said, In the past I've had a handful of packs "Go off" at me like fireworks after bad crashes (Usually with RC helis), So it's hard to get that image out of your head while stripping down Li-Po's. :)
    January 21, 2019, 11:22:54
  • shawdreamer: the horror stories will always incite worry when messing about with Lipo's but its the same as everything else when working on electronics alike, alsong as your careful and methodical there's very little to panic about, I regularly recycle 4s's with a single dead cell into usable 3s packs, end of the days its alot more economical, safer and enviro friendly than having to bin them....just a pain that the dead cell is NEVER one of the outer cells so you always end up having to strip a good cell off to get at the bad cell before putting it back afterwards, its like dropping toast, it'll always land buttered side down and inevitably covered in pet fur :angry:
    January 21, 2019, 00:11:16
  • Reman: Just did the one electrical job that still scares me. I dismantled some Lipo's with knacked cells and built usable packs out of the good cells. I've had packs go "VOOOOOOSH" at me in the past so I'm always slightly scared of having bare lipo contacts anywhere near what I'm working on, But all appears to have gone well and one of them is currently doing a charge/discharge cycle to make sure nothings a miss. :)
    January 20, 2019, 22:28:43
  • Reman: My original Dremel Pro made it to 14 years of heavy weekend use (And abuse) before it crocked. Dismantled that but it turned out to be a "Control module" fault, And Dremel made it ni on impossible to get into that without pooching it completely. :(
    January 20, 2019, 22:17:27
  • ched999uk: BR  ::)
    January 16, 2019, 22:26:54
  • Bad Raven: That's a warrnty claim if ever I heard one....
    January 16, 2019, 20:32:55
  • ched999uk: My 28 year old 12v 35w Weller soldering iron failed  :( I didn't fancy forking out £100 for a new one. Stripped it down and found conductor snapped in cable. 10Mins later all back working great. :smiley: ::) I am very happy!!
    January 16, 2019, 17:23:06
  • shawdreamer: "look up there....its a drone!.....and whats this noise?..... no.....no..... it cant be!....NOOOOOOOO.......OOOOOOOOOOOOOPS I DID IT AGAIN, I PLAYED WITH YOUR HEAR....."
    January 10, 2019, 14:17:24
  • shawdreamer: <starts downloading britney spears albums and preping his large frame to carry a PA system>
    January 10, 2019, 14:15:08
  • Bajadre: defo steveo :) we should get loads of drones together up there so how they handle more that one lol
    January 08, 2019, 19:39:07
  • steveo9007: its all a ploy to get who ever has won the contract for geofencing the airport in, i reckon  ::)
    January 08, 2019, 18:38:26
  • Bajadre: more lies hope they prepped the police staement already lol
    January 08, 2019, 18:27:49
  • Bad Raven: Take Offs resumed
    January 08, 2019, 18:24:45

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Happymodel Mobula7  (Read 512 times)

Offline daich

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 66
  • crash. build.
Happymodel Mobula7
« on: November 07, 2018, 18:31:35 »
 I pre-ordered one of these and received it a couple weeks ago and have flown 40 or so packs through it now.

If you're interested in this craft, I'm sure you've seen many of the reviews for this thing popping up all over youtube so I'll just share my short opinion on it. This will be from an acrobatic point of view and not racing which maybe one day I dip my toes into.

People always talk about getting a micro that flies like a 5" -- well let me tell you, the mobula7 doesn't fly like one  :laugh:
One thing about 5" quads is weight. No micros will have it and every micro is trying to shed it.  The reason why you want the weight is for momentum. At any time your camera is not facing forward, you're either backing off on the throttle or dropping it completely to zero. On a five inch, there is so much momentum, you have time to slow down your moves to create precise dramatic effects.  On the mobula7, the moment I lift the throttle I immediately slowdown, very rapidly at that. This is a massive adjustment that you have to get used to.

What the mobula7 does have though, like its 5" cousin, is power to weight. and oh so much of it!  I often forget I'm flying a whoop as I can pull out of everything. Almost every other whoop is plagued by yaw blow out where at a certain high velocity the motors and props don't have enough power and mass to maintain yaw authority.  The mobula7 is one of the first that isn't plagued by it.  Happymodel really hit a magical combination with the props and motor size and kv and AUW

There is a talk about changing the pigtail to xt30 but there are some advantages of keeping the original jst ph 2.0 2s harness.
1. it's lighter than any 2s pack
2. lihv 2s packs are very hard to find or too expensive
3. lihv 1s packs are cheap and easy to find
3. 1s packs are easy to charge in the field

a few cons
1. it is not rated for that much current so the motors/escs aren't running at their full potential
2. PH 2.0 connectors have a guaranteed plug/unplug cycle of 30. yes, 30. so the plugs will wear out eventually in the near future.
3. original JST PH 2.0 connectors uses solid pins and this connector uses a pin that is made from folded metal - (I don't believe this one until some real tests are done, I believe wire gauge matter more)

because of these points people have moved to xt30 connectors. I might experiment with JST batteries and connectors, the red ones, once my 2s loom starts wearing out.

There is an option of flying this 1s. I have tried a couple batteries. One indoor and one outdoor.  My opinion is it just isn't worth it outdoors and I would much much prefer to fly my acrobee 65mm whoop or my 65mm NFE Silverware rig in my relatively small flat.  It might be good in a large house or gym and with 450mah-550mah batteries you can get some long runtimes in the vicinity of 5min.

Living in central London, this is the perfect quad. It is 42 grams with a battery. Every bystanding spectator who has handled it thinks it's the most amazing toy.  It isn't loud. No one hears it above the hum of city traffic. It's cheap. It's resilient in crashes and parts for repairs are cheap.

If you don't live in a city and you have easy access to a fpv friendly field, you'd probably wouldn't need one of these. But most aren't so yeah, I wholeheartedly recommend this quad to pilots of all levels.

TLDR - go buy one right now

Offline daich

• Liked: 66
  • crash. build.
Re: Happymodel Mobula7
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 18:32:00 »
 ::)

Offline ched999uk

• Liked: 671
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 18:56:41 »
::)
Ordered mine a couple of days ago but they have been reviewed so well they are not in stock!!! Expected Nov 25th so might just arrive by Christmas, I do hope so.

Looks so much fun. Nice flying. Thanks for vids.

Offline UrbanFPV

• Liked: 107
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 20:28:00 »
Ordered mine about a week ago.  Looks a fun little house ripper for the winter.  Reckon it'll take a Mobius mini as well.
Talon SVX, Tyrant S 215, GEPRC Sparrow (Mo Sparah), ImpulseRC Reverb
Mavic Pro
SonicModell AR Wing
Frsky X-Lite + R9M Lite
Aomway Commanders
Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo9rqz1V6XIaU3xikNDzjKg

Offline palros

• Liked: 11
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 16:14:37 »
Just gonna add my review here

I really like this!. Its a shame the V1 Frames are very weak!.

Offline mo_miah

• Liked: 71
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 16:02:19 »
Got my Mobula7 today, can't wait to get home and have a fly.
Quite a few of the guys I fly with in Northampton have got one too so planning a micro meet, just need to find a venue