User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Bad Raven: Balance lead extensions are pence from China, I bought bulk. I also cut the old balance plugs with lead off and if I get a broken plug body I just solder a new one lead to lead, can extend at the same time.
    Today at 14:17:22
  • Reman: Bajadre, With reference to balance leads, I bought a cheap JST XH crimper, plus a shed load of male/female plugs and pins a while back. It's amazing how many times that lots come in handy. Not just for repairing battery packs, But for things like adding quick release plugs to wiring harnesses so you can do things like pop gimbels on and off camera drones quickly, Or add plugs to the cables of hardwired components so you don't have to desolder them when you need to get them out of the way in a rebuild, And making charging extension leads so you can get the battery right into a Li-Po safe bag and away from the expensive charger. They're well worth adding to the toolbox..... The other day I only spent about 5 minutes hunting for my 4S charging lead before giving up and making a new one. If I didn't have the crimping kit I'd probabbly still be looking. :)
    Today at 14:00:55
  • hoverfly: Not unusual Reman, they just cant be ar$ed to deliversome if they get behind schedule.. Yesterday i had a delivery by Herpies,  got a sms telling me when they were going to deliver, then rang the door bell and knocked. The parcel was intact and damage free.  Not sure what is going on.... :hmm:
    Today at 13:23:11
  • Bad Raven: Where is it broken?
    Today at 13:22:29
  • hoverfly: If you cut them off make sure  you insulate the ends. :smiley:
    Today at 13:18:42
  • Bajadre: Quick question guys is it ok to snip off a broken balance lead and not run it i know i wouldnt be able to balance charge it again but would the pack be ok ? its a 3s 5500mah which the lead got dragged along the floor on sundays bahs :(
    Today at 12:44:55
  • Reman: About an hour ago I had the Yodel tracking system tell me that I wasn't in...... That's f*ckin' news to me !!!!!
    Today at 10:17:20
  • Reman: Like I said, In the past I've had a handful of packs "Go off" at me like fireworks after bad crashes (Usually with RC helis), So it's hard to get that image out of your head while stripping down Li-Po's. :)
    January 21, 2019, 11:22:54
  • shawdreamer: the horror stories will always incite worry when messing about with Lipo's but its the same as everything else when working on electronics alike, alsong as your careful and methodical there's very little to panic about, I regularly recycle 4s's with a single dead cell into usable 3s packs, end of the days its alot more economical, safer and enviro friendly than having to bin them....just a pain that the dead cell is NEVER one of the outer cells so you always end up having to strip a good cell off to get at the bad cell before putting it back afterwards, its like dropping toast, it'll always land buttered side down and inevitably covered in pet fur :angry:
    January 21, 2019, 00:11:16
  • Reman: Just did the one electrical job that still scares me. I dismantled some Lipo's with knacked cells and built usable packs out of the good cells. I've had packs go "VOOOOOOSH" at me in the past so I'm always slightly scared of having bare lipo contacts anywhere near what I'm working on, But all appears to have gone well and one of them is currently doing a charge/discharge cycle to make sure nothings a miss. :)
    January 20, 2019, 22:28:43
  • Reman: My original Dremel Pro made it to 14 years of heavy weekend use (And abuse) before it crocked. Dismantled that but it turned out to be a "Control module" fault, And Dremel made it ni on impossible to get into that without pooching it completely. :(
    January 20, 2019, 22:17:27
  • ched999uk: BR  ::)
    January 16, 2019, 22:26:54
  • Bad Raven: That's a warrnty claim if ever I heard one....
    January 16, 2019, 20:32:55
  • ched999uk: My 28 year old 12v 35w Weller soldering iron failed  :( I didn't fancy forking out £100 for a new one. Stripped it down and found conductor snapped in cable. 10Mins later all back working great. :smiley: ::) I am very happy!!
    January 16, 2019, 17:23:06
  • shawdreamer: "look up there....its a drone!.....and whats this noise?..... no.....no..... it cant be!....NOOOOOOOO.......OOOOOOOOOOOOOPS I DID IT AGAIN, I PLAYED WITH YOUR HEAR....."
    January 10, 2019, 14:17:24
  • shawdreamer: <starts downloading britney spears albums and preping his large frame to carry a PA system>
    January 10, 2019, 14:15:08
  • Bajadre: defo steveo :) we should get loads of drones together up there so how they handle more that one lol
    January 08, 2019, 19:39:07
  • steveo9007: its all a ploy to get who ever has won the contract for geofencing the airport in, i reckon  ::)
    January 08, 2019, 18:38:26
  • Bajadre: more lies hope they prepped the police staement already lol
    January 08, 2019, 18:27:49
  • Bad Raven: Take Offs resumed
    January 08, 2019, 18:24:45

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: 45xx prop recomendations  (Read 533 times)

Online shawdreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 832
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
45xx prop recomendations
« on: June 17, 2018, 13:01:28 »
with my sparkie back up and running and this time built more in line for acro fun I need some decent props.

right now Im running bullnose DAL4050's on 2600kv motors (bit undersized for my tastes) which are capable enough for snappy acro moves but I find lack in punchout or pick-up so I cant help loosing more altitude than I like in less aggressive moves like slow rolls/flips and inverted hangtimes.

previously I was running tip trimmed 5050 tris (tip trimmed so they just about miss tip clashing) which gave me bags of punchout and power but were a bit on the greedy side amp wise.

Im after something inbetween now, maybe some 40xx/45xx tri's if possible, any suggestions/recommendations people?
550 custom H-copter (redesigned)
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard
Project Sparkie (under repair)
https://www.thingiverse.com/shawdreamer/designs

Offline Bad Raven

• Liked: 660
Re: 45xx prop recomendations
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 13:10:58 »
Trim them slightly more?

Offline Reman

• Liked: 212
  • Fly, Crash, Rebuild, Repeat.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 13:22:39 »
You're at the whim of fashion there mate. Up until about a year ago, if you wanted a really good selection of props to choose from you had to have a 5" blade. 3 inchers are starting to get a lot better catered for, And there's even a few interesting 6" blades hitting the market, But 4" (Let alone 4.5") doesn't seem to be a big enough market for many of the big boys to tool up and make anything more than a choice between rounded blade tips or bullnose.

You could get creative with some nail cutters on some 5" tri's. If you used the cut off bit from the first as a guide you could probably make them quite accurate. I did this with some 5045 x 3 blades to take them down to just over 3" when I started playing with smaller quads. Only problem with doing this is it's a bloody time consuming faff to make several of the blades to take out in case you crash. I just use DAL or these funky little iFlight Nazgul T3061's on my 3" quads now.
I need a pay rise........ Though I'd settle for a reduction in the amount of hours I need to work to get the same money.

Online shawdreamer

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 13:42:44 »
hmmmmm thats what I suspected would still be the case.

when I first designed the sparkie I did go looking to see what sort of prop selection Id have available and found the choice "limited" to put it mildly.

unsurprisingly one of the options available were props that were designed specifically for use with the original Dji Spark (iirc there 4530's) but even after I designed a adapter to use them on 5mm shafted motors I found them pretty gutless, there designed more for efficiency than power afterall.

guess Ill have to make a prop trimming rig and resort back to mass produced trimmed 5"'s :rolleyes:... what a ballache
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 13:52:21 by shawdreamer »
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline Cheredanine

• Liked: 1393
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 14:01:32 »
I use hq4043v1s on 4inch, but running 4s on tmotor f20ii (3750kv) and quad weight is 240-260gram depending on lipo.

I think the problem is not your props mate. But your motors, 2600kv is the sweet spot for low load 5 inch props.

The bench mark motor for 4inch is brother hobby t1 1407 3600kv (on 4s) even assuming your build is quite light (heavier build will put more load on the motors making punch outs slower with more amp draw/voltage sag) your motors are just not fast enough for 4inch props

This was one of the reason IMHO the 4inch movement 2 or 3 years ago died out, rotor riot did a video on the subject, everyone was using 5inch quads with slightly shorter arms and 5 inch motors. Stick 4inch props on it and you just get an underpowered quad.

Offline Bad Raven

• Liked: 660
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 14:16:58 »
There is mention here on how to trim props.

Have done so for many years with indoor planes. A motor I liked to use was not best propped by conventional sizing, which fell wrongly. I needed a finer pitch for more snap, but not the diameter offered. The nearest was 8x4.7, and I trimmed to 7.5x4.7, the sweet spot for that motor, as proven by many combat wins............  :whistling: :wack0

What I did was to choose a rod that fitted the prop bore loose enough to spin on it (an old screwdriver shaft).  Then I measured the length I wanted on a blade and marked where the shaft hole came with the cut mark on the workbench edge.  Drill an interference fit hole, push the shaft into the hole, rotate the prop to square per blade, and clean cut with model railway track cutter (Xacto) against the work surface edge, tiny amount of sanding, rounded corners, and job done. They usually came out of this pre-balanced and ready for use.

Have done this to get the max swing on the Diatone ET 150 and 160 frames. Works well.

Online shawdreamer

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 14:26:04 »
Ill just quickly design a prop trimming rig with a spare motor and 3d print it, set it to skim 5mm off prop tips and use 5" props, Ive got boxes and boxes a various 5" tri's knocking about so might aswell  just trim a crapload  :shrug:
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline Cheredanine

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 14:34:52 »
Then my advice would be start with a 5 inch with a wide blade, something like a gemfan winddancer, or something with very little tip to it like a racekraft 5051

Online shawdreamer

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 14:42:16 »
Then my advice would be start with a 5 inch with a wide blade, something like a gemfan winddancer, or something with very little tip to it like a racekraft 5051

luck would have it.... thats what I previously used ::)

though I might give the boomerang types just visable in the side of that pic a go too.
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Online shawdreamer

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 14:47:32 »
the original spark clone that project sparkie developed from used trimmed racekraft 5051's...

so I know they worked ~~
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline Cheredanine

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 15:43:44 »
luck would have it.... thats what I previously used ::)

though I might give the boomerang types just visable in the side of that pic a go too.
The original boomerang (azure) are made from very ridged material, mine always shattered (they were resilient but when the broke it was like a swinger party - bits everywhere) cutting them could be a problem, but the width is universal so compared to the racekraft by trimming you are gonna lose much more thrust

Offline ched999uk

• Liked: 671
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 17:46:53 »
I seem to remember a printed dremil tool. That positioned a prop at an adjustable distance from the spinning cutting tool in the dremil. Thus giving a repeatable cut on multiple props.

Online shawdreamer

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 18:59:57 »
I seem to remember a printed dremil tool. That positioned a prop at an adjustable distance from the spinning cutting tool in the dremil. Thus giving a repeatable cut on multiple props.

bit to over engineered for whats required, secret here is to keep it simple I think so....

Tadaaaaaa...

but its only a sucess if it works at the end of the day so....

does the job...

5051's - 4551's  ~~
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard