User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Bad Raven: Balance lead extensions are pence from China, I bought bulk. I also cut the old balance plugs with lead off and if I get a broken plug body I just solder a new one lead to lead, can extend at the same time.
    Today at 14:17:22
  • Reman: Bajadre, With reference to balance leads, I bought a cheap JST XH crimper, plus a shed load of male/female plugs and pins a while back. It's amazing how many times that lots come in handy. Not just for repairing battery packs, But for things like adding quick release plugs to wiring harnesses so you can do things like pop gimbels on and off camera drones quickly, Or add plugs to the cables of hardwired components so you don't have to desolder them when you need to get them out of the way in a rebuild, And making charging extension leads so you can get the battery right into a Li-Po safe bag and away from the expensive charger. They're well worth adding to the toolbox..... The other day I only spent about 5 minutes hunting for my 4S charging lead before giving up and making a new one. If I didn't have the crimping kit I'd probabbly still be looking. :)
    Today at 14:00:55
  • hoverfly: Not unusual Reman, they just cant be ar$ed to deliversome if they get behind schedule.. Yesterday i had a delivery by Herpies,  got a sms telling me when they were going to deliver, then rang the door bell and knocked. The parcel was intact and damage free.  Not sure what is going on.... :hmm:
    Today at 13:23:11
  • Bad Raven: Where is it broken?
    Today at 13:22:29
  • hoverfly: If you cut them off make sure  you insulate the ends. :smiley:
    Today at 13:18:42
  • Bajadre: Quick question guys is it ok to snip off a broken balance lead and not run it i know i wouldnt be able to balance charge it again but would the pack be ok ? its a 3s 5500mah which the lead got dragged along the floor on sundays bahs :(
    Today at 12:44:55
  • Reman: About an hour ago I had the Yodel tracking system tell me that I wasn't in...... That's f*ckin' news to me !!!!!
    Today at 10:17:20
  • Reman: Like I said, In the past I've had a handful of packs "Go off" at me like fireworks after bad crashes (Usually with RC helis), So it's hard to get that image out of your head while stripping down Li-Po's. :)
    January 21, 2019, 11:22:54
  • shawdreamer: the horror stories will always incite worry when messing about with Lipo's but its the same as everything else when working on electronics alike, alsong as your careful and methodical there's very little to panic about, I regularly recycle 4s's with a single dead cell into usable 3s packs, end of the days its alot more economical, safer and enviro friendly than having to bin them....just a pain that the dead cell is NEVER one of the outer cells so you always end up having to strip a good cell off to get at the bad cell before putting it back afterwards, its like dropping toast, it'll always land buttered side down and inevitably covered in pet fur :angry:
    January 21, 2019, 00:11:16
  • Reman: Just did the one electrical job that still scares me. I dismantled some Lipo's with knacked cells and built usable packs out of the good cells. I've had packs go "VOOOOOOSH" at me in the past so I'm always slightly scared of having bare lipo contacts anywhere near what I'm working on, But all appears to have gone well and one of them is currently doing a charge/discharge cycle to make sure nothings a miss. :)
    January 20, 2019, 22:28:43
  • Reman: My original Dremel Pro made it to 14 years of heavy weekend use (And abuse) before it crocked. Dismantled that but it turned out to be a "Control module" fault, And Dremel made it ni on impossible to get into that without pooching it completely. :(
    January 20, 2019, 22:17:27
  • ched999uk: BR  ::)
    January 16, 2019, 22:26:54
  • Bad Raven: That's a warrnty claim if ever I heard one....
    January 16, 2019, 20:32:55
  • ched999uk: My 28 year old 12v 35w Weller soldering iron failed  :( I didn't fancy forking out £100 for a new one. Stripped it down and found conductor snapped in cable. 10Mins later all back working great. :smiley: ::) I am very happy!!
    January 16, 2019, 17:23:06
  • shawdreamer: "look up there....its a drone!.....and whats this noise?..... no.....no..... it cant be!....NOOOOOOOO.......OOOOOOOOOOOOOPS I DID IT AGAIN, I PLAYED WITH YOUR HEAR....."
    January 10, 2019, 14:17:24
  • shawdreamer: <starts downloading britney spears albums and preping his large frame to carry a PA system>
    January 10, 2019, 14:15:08
  • Bajadre: defo steveo :) we should get loads of drones together up there so how they handle more that one lol
    January 08, 2019, 19:39:07
  • steveo9007: its all a ploy to get who ever has won the contract for geofencing the airport in, i reckon  ::)
    January 08, 2019, 18:38:26
  • Bajadre: more lies hope they prepped the police staement already lol
    January 08, 2019, 18:27:49
  • Bad Raven: Take Offs resumed
    January 08, 2019, 18:24:45

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: RFM22 433Mhz radio modem project.  (Read 1869 times)

Offline atomiclama

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Liked: 805
  • Uhh! What's that then, Oh! new project.
RFM22 433Mhz radio modem project.
« on: October 07, 2017, 16:17:30 »
!! warning in progress will change lots.

Ah well time to start a new project, not finished any of my other projects yet but this has got my interest for the moment so time for a brain dump.

I have always been interested in the long range radios but don';t like closed source proprietary stuff. Had a look at the code in OpenLRS it';s all arduino based urghhh.

Recently BF got an RX SPI implementation  ~~ well that has just made my job alot easier.

So I currently have 2 STM32 Nucleo dev boards hooked up to RFM22 radios.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

The current implementation has created a virtual comport which can have attached to it MSP, Telemetry or any of the other things in BF or a newly comport bridge. The other other side of the RF link is the same. This gives me the flexibility to hook telemetry -> VCP -> RF -> VCP -> bridge -> serial port -> PC. The same for MSP CLI etc.

insert back of fag packet scribble.

Well it works. Telem ok, cli ok if the response is small, MSP so so, MSP is full duplex where as RF is obviously not needs some work.

The idea is to have the RFM22 directly integrated into the FC and one on dedicated HW attached to the TX.

Insert linky / picture of suggested HW
Insert more scribbles .

Anyways there is some interest over in iNav world some might get some where.  ::)

Dump over.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:57:52 by atomiclama »
Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline Two-Six

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 372
  • Have I had my biscuites yet?
Re: RFM22 433Mhz radio modem project.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 17:03:30 »
WoW! That';s amazing, proper job!
Nighthawk Pro, Trex 450 L Dominator 6 cell *FLOWN*, Blade 450-3D, MCPX-BL, MCPX-V2, Hubsan X4, Seagull Boomerang IC .40 trainer, HK Bixler, AXN Clouds fly,, Spektrum DX7, Taranis, AccuRC

Offline atomiclama

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 16:11:29 »
First proper range test, through a clump of trees as well.

6mW setting on the TX, quite impressed.

Screenshot from 2017-11-04 16-06-26.jpgRFM22 433Mhz radio modem project.
Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline hoverfly

• Liked: 1246
  • Quads, lots of quads
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 16:21:26 »
Looking good.. ~~
Reptile folder , alien 500 , F/ Shark Attitudes,
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...
Massive over draught.....

Offline atomiclama

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 19:23:32 »
It's alive

I pulled the EE from one of my trusty CC3D and wired the RFM22 module to the now free spi pads.
Worked out quite neat.

The lunch box houses the base station repeater. Which is my normal RX hooked up via iBus to a dev board.
I'm running a hacked version of betaflight on the dev board that takes in iBus and squirts the RC data out over the RFM22.

I currently have a slow update rate which makes things a bit interesting to fly. :whistling:

Now I just need to tidy up the base, make it a bit more robust and get it mounted on a tripod. Don't think it is going to last too long just chucked on the floor.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:49:17 by atomiclama »
Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline ched999uk

• Liked: 671
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 19:36:14 »
Quad and radio look good. Might be worth rewiring that 4 way extension cable!!!

Offline shawdreamer

• Liked: 832
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 19:42:50 »
sod the extension........get on to the lockerbie bomber ghetto blaster......

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 19:45:58 by shawdreamer »
550 custom H-copter (redesigned)
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard
Project Sparkie (under repair)
https://www.thingiverse.com/shawdreamer/designs

Offline atomiclama

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 19:51:30 »
Might be worth rewiring that 4 way extension cable!!!

Nah it's perfectly safe  :whistling:
Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline atomiclama

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 19:52:59 »
Ah be kind shawdreamer.

That thing has been with me for as long as I can remember. It's part of the family.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 09:51:18 by atomiclama »
Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline atomiclama

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 08:59:34 »
It's very nerve racking flying on a RF link that I have built up myself. Never knowing if it is going to drop out  of the sky at any moment.

But it's been rock solid now for a few weeks no drop outs / glitches / or failsafes. Been out ~200m behind trees etc. Much better than my old flysky stuff.

Just realised I've been running with a 6mW power setting.  :o

Now to start pushing the range.  :evil

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 15:41:36 by atomiclama »
Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline atomiclama

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 13:37:43 »
MK2 is alive and kicking.

Found a use for my battered CC3D.

Wasdale X, Ow that hurt