User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Bad Raven: Balance lead extensions are pence from China, I bought bulk. I also cut the old balance plugs with lead off and if I get a broken plug body I just solder a new one lead to lead, can extend at the same time.
    Today at 14:17:22
  • Reman: Bajadre, With reference to balance leads, I bought a cheap JST XH crimper, plus a shed load of male/female plugs and pins a while back. It's amazing how many times that lots come in handy. Not just for repairing battery packs, But for things like adding quick release plugs to wiring harnesses so you can do things like pop gimbels on and off camera drones quickly, Or add plugs to the cables of hardwired components so you don't have to desolder them when you need to get them out of the way in a rebuild, And making charging extension leads so you can get the battery right into a Li-Po safe bag and away from the expensive charger. They're well worth adding to the toolbox..... The other day I only spent about 5 minutes hunting for my 4S charging lead before giving up and making a new one. If I didn't have the crimping kit I'd probabbly still be looking. :)
    Today at 14:00:55
  • hoverfly: Not unusual Reman, they just cant be ar$ed to deliversome if they get behind schedule.. Yesterday i had a delivery by Herpies,  got a sms telling me when they were going to deliver, then rang the door bell and knocked. The parcel was intact and damage free.  Not sure what is going on.... :hmm:
    Today at 13:23:11
  • Bad Raven: Where is it broken?
    Today at 13:22:29
  • hoverfly: If you cut them off make sure  you insulate the ends. :smiley:
    Today at 13:18:42
  • Bajadre: Quick question guys is it ok to snip off a broken balance lead and not run it i know i wouldnt be able to balance charge it again but would the pack be ok ? its a 3s 5500mah which the lead got dragged along the floor on sundays bahs :(
    Today at 12:44:55
  • Reman: About an hour ago I had the Yodel tracking system tell me that I wasn't in...... That's f*ckin' news to me !!!!!
    Today at 10:17:20
  • Reman: Like I said, In the past I've had a handful of packs "Go off" at me like fireworks after bad crashes (Usually with RC helis), So it's hard to get that image out of your head while stripping down Li-Po's. :)
    January 21, 2019, 11:22:54
  • shawdreamer: the horror stories will always incite worry when messing about with Lipo's but its the same as everything else when working on electronics alike, alsong as your careful and methodical there's very little to panic about, I regularly recycle 4s's with a single dead cell into usable 3s packs, end of the days its alot more economical, safer and enviro friendly than having to bin them....just a pain that the dead cell is NEVER one of the outer cells so you always end up having to strip a good cell off to get at the bad cell before putting it back afterwards, its like dropping toast, it'll always land buttered side down and inevitably covered in pet fur :angry:
    January 21, 2019, 00:11:16
  • Reman: Just did the one electrical job that still scares me. I dismantled some Lipo's with knacked cells and built usable packs out of the good cells. I've had packs go "VOOOOOOSH" at me in the past so I'm always slightly scared of having bare lipo contacts anywhere near what I'm working on, But all appears to have gone well and one of them is currently doing a charge/discharge cycle to make sure nothings a miss. :)
    January 20, 2019, 22:28:43
  • Reman: My original Dremel Pro made it to 14 years of heavy weekend use (And abuse) before it crocked. Dismantled that but it turned out to be a "Control module" fault, And Dremel made it ni on impossible to get into that without pooching it completely. :(
    January 20, 2019, 22:17:27
  • ched999uk: BR  ::)
    January 16, 2019, 22:26:54
  • Bad Raven: That's a warrnty claim if ever I heard one....
    January 16, 2019, 20:32:55
  • ched999uk: My 28 year old 12v 35w Weller soldering iron failed  :( I didn't fancy forking out £100 for a new one. Stripped it down and found conductor snapped in cable. 10Mins later all back working great. :smiley: ::) I am very happy!!
    January 16, 2019, 17:23:06
  • shawdreamer: "look up there....its a drone!.....and whats this noise?..... no.....no..... it cant be!....NOOOOOOOO.......OOOOOOOOOOOOOPS I DID IT AGAIN, I PLAYED WITH YOUR HEAR....."
    January 10, 2019, 14:17:24
  • shawdreamer: <starts downloading britney spears albums and preping his large frame to carry a PA system>
    January 10, 2019, 14:15:08
  • Bajadre: defo steveo :) we should get loads of drones together up there so how they handle more that one lol
    January 08, 2019, 19:39:07
  • steveo9007: its all a ploy to get who ever has won the contract for geofencing the airport in, i reckon  ::)
    January 08, 2019, 18:38:26
  • Bajadre: more lies hope they prepped the police staement already lol
    January 08, 2019, 18:27:49
  • Bad Raven: Take Offs resumed
    January 08, 2019, 18:24:45

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: new design  (Read 20342 times)

Offline shawdreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 832
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
Re: new design
« Reply #240 on: August 22, 2018, 13:46:07 »
just testing the glow effect in the arms, hmmm I kinda was hoping for a more striking effect but I doubt it'll get any better unless I use higher output smd's which Id rather avoid as that'll mean increased heat and the need for heatsinks which would mean thicker arms...

:hmm: hmmmm, dont suppose its to bad considering and at the end of the day I didnt want it glowing like a xmas tree so I suppose its about right, other colours might work better but Ive kinda set my heart on blue so It'll do as is.
550 custom H-copter (redesigned)
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard
Project Sparkie (under repair)
https://www.thingiverse.com/shawdreamer/designs

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #241 on: August 23, 2018, 17:34:32 »
so, all my parts turned up from HK earlier and as I was prepped I immediately set about getting it all built up.

despite the design requiring careful cable routing and part placement (I wanted to keep everything as compact as possible so minimized wasted space inside),it all went together nicely and after a small hiccup with the Multistar 4in1 Esc&FC refusing to recognize the x6b receiver until I realized the AIO esc/fc didnt except PPM input (which according to instruction it should) I swapped over to Sbus and everything was peachy.

all that was left was to wire the motors in.............. of course I remembered that motor cables are never long enough and I should always order appropriate sized cable for extending............. right.........FECCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

Oh well least thats all that left to do and looking outside I wouldn't be maidenin it today anyway, like a monsoon out there right now!, till then.......

AUW with the 2200 3s turnigy pack is touching 500g (which would be the max weight it'll ever see as Ill be using smaller 4s most the time).

my only remaining 1600 4s (the other three have died over the past few monthes so its time for a restock) see's the AUW at 397g which isnt to harsh for a 250 I think.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 17:45:43 by shawdreamer »
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #242 on: August 24, 2018, 13:49:05 »
luckily found some correct gauge wire skulking about in the bottom of one of my parts drawers and set about extending the motor wires earlier...

some pre "extending shots"...

and after some very nerve racking soldering (those solder tabs on that AIO are bloody tiny!!!), shrink wrapping and final setup testing (most would have spotted the fact that this particular AIO has a terribly placed usb so you cant access it once its all buttoned up :rolleyes:, this is HK's rebranded Tattoo 35a AIO btw)....

the pressing question now is how will it fly?.... going by the very quick hover test I just did in between rain bursts in the back garden I get the feeling it might be a winner, even on the more or less stock pid's it lifted smoothly on the smallest amount of throttle (literally, click arm switch, touch of throttle to spin up motors and..... whoa its off the ground hovering on ground effect!!!) :o

Tbf when I run through the motor spec's (which I only glance over) Im not surprised it lifted on small throttle, according to the motor lit there good for 800g a corner max  :hmm: (sounds overoptimistic to me that number but heyho) and then you add in the sub 400g AUW and 4 blade props that I know are great little pullers and it sorta adds up.

Just need a good half an hour of clear weather now and I can atleast get it into my test spot out back :cry
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #243 on: August 25, 2018, 12:11:12 »
5mins.... I got 5 f'in mins were the rain stopped and the sun suddenly started cracking the flags.

Grabbed the quad and my evolution and literally legged it out the back to do a test cycle.

probably the most vigorous maiden cycle Ive ever done, weather report says near constant rain for the next 3 days and I aint waiting, got it powered, got it off the ground, threw it through all its horizontal control axis to see if it had any obvious wobbles in sudden pitch, roll and yaw movements... all seemed great and usually Id have double checked and came back in satisfied before getting a fresh battery and slowly increasing the test run difficultly.

This time though.... I aint waiting 3 feckin days for another clear window.

immediately chucked it near full tilt round the small test circuit.

ran it on nearly full throttle straight runs up and down the avenue a few times.

then came the inevitable flips, rolls, power rolls and hang time loops before the rain returned with vengeance and I had to leg it back inside but....

.... Its still in one piece, didnt crash or fail me once, took everything I threw at it with only a couple of minor niggles Ill have to address (like I forgot to set it so the motors didnt cut when I drop the throttle full....which made the first couple of flips a bit of a clencher before I realised :slap:)  but overall Im going with resounding success, It isnt even that greedy power wise, like I said, flew a good 5mins (and they were harsh 5mins) on one of my 2200 3s  and it still had juice in the tank enough for a couple more minutes before the alarm would have gone off.

If Id thought on I would have grabbed one of my 4s's instead of the 3s as I think this build will perform well on 4s but I figured the 3s would help keep the test flight tamed if anything was seriously out with the build....turns out I had nothing to worry about :shrug:, flew nice on the heavy 3s too, plenty of guts and balance so the lighter 4s should make for an interesting jump in performance :evil
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #244 on: August 28, 2018, 09:22:41 »
ok, so I got a chance to run a few cycles through her yesterday as despite the constant threat it did actually remain dry, so I dragged myself away from my new fixed wing project and headed out to the field.

despite the rough maiden abuse I gave it I still had a little degree of apprehension (as you do with just about every new build I suppose) but heyho.

turns out I was worrying for nothing again though as it flew like a champ, very stable were it needed to be, very agile were I wanted it to be. the only additional niggle I had over the motor low throttle I mentioned is the zmr frames tendency to lose a little stability when cornering with all three axis (or in other words rotating the frame on a single motor point), thats due to the zmr not being a true X frame and the distance between motor centres front to back being shorter than left to right, its only a small loss though and a little tuning can often help if it becomes annoying enough :shrug:

besides that, after 4x 2200mah 3s's and 3x 1600mah 4s's worth of flight time I was pretty  satisfied that it wasnt about to explode midair  ~~ , now I just want some fresh 4s's to chuck at it and really see how much punishment it cant take, that aside I can see this one becoming my main 250 for a fair while which will probably see it getting some nasty glares from my Twinboard and Reaper that are hanging forlornly on the wall.

zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #245 on: October 14, 2018, 15:15:36 »
as the weathers getting slowly worse by the day the opportunities to get out and fly are becoming more and more rare I figured Id sort something Id be meaning to add to the GlowRider.

When I built the XL version of project Sparkie I added an onboard HD-DVR which turned out to be a really decent addition and saved me having to record flights from the vrx end (which near always suffers static and atleast minor breakup), now all the inflight recording is taken directly from the flight camera with nothing inbetween (eg it has its own inbuilt action cam) which aslong as the fpv cam is decent enough, gives good quality footage.

with Sparkie giving me proof of concept I decided Id eventually add the same setup to the GlowRider but I simply forgot and havnt got round to it, I even forgot to order another DVR.... then it occurred to me, why do I need another DVR?... I can only fly one frame at a time :slap:.

So I took the GR off the wall and opened her up.

found an appropriate set of cables and connector in my spares (the dvr uses similar micro sm plugs to most flight controllers so all I need was one of the 4 pin cables commonly used for the ppm/sbus/ibus ports) and spliced it into the 5v/G on the 4in1 and the video from the cam......... presto, job done, quick clean and sorted ~~

just needed to print a new protective mount point for is similar to the Sparkies but a little more compact but still positioned in a way that the battery strap go's over it when the battery is strapped down like the sparkie (means the dvr cant eject... or atleast its as unlikely as the battery ejecting etc)

just need to button her all back up and hopefully it wont rain long enough to go give it a blast.... well atleast a test run :shrug:

I actually love how thin she looks there without the top printed canopy in place and for all essential purposes she's totally flight ready in that state (I could literally slap the battery on and go fly) but no cam.... which kinda defeats the point of the dvr :laugh:

now I just unstrap the dvr on the Sparkie, unplug and plug it into the GR and Im ready to go again yay :wack0

and finally, a quick test flight just to make sure its doing what it should (you'll have to forgive the strong colours in the raw video as I forgot to alter the cam settings and its on "vivid" which just doesnt work well on a dismal day like today)....
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #246 on: November 10, 2018, 11:18:20 »
well... Ive kinda been neglecting any new builds for a while as Glowrider proved to be such a success Ive hardly touched any of my other frames (my poor Sparkies are hanging forlornly on the wall shooting envious glares at the Glowrider as Ive been murdering it at every possible opportunity ::) )

figured Id set aside a bit of time today to play about with some idea's that have been bouncing around my noggin, one such is an improvement on the glowrider (or more exactly the set-out of the ZMR frame its based on), more specifically its addressing the instability the frame can suffer with due to its uneven motor layout (the ZMR isnt a "true" 250 frame, meaning it doesnt measure out evenly from corner to corner) this causes some instability in heavy turning during forward travel.

The way to correct this is simple....make the frame a "true" 250 X frame... so.... thats what I set about doing, finished printing out a adaption spacer for it just a short while ago and just finished bolting it all together.

some comparison shots to the GR original layout ZMR frame...

Difference (barring the obvious layout change) with this one is Ill forego any embellishing or cosmetic add-ons and leave the frame pretty much as seen there, Ill be able to squeeze all the vital electronics inside the spacer cavity much as the GR has and strap the battery directly to the top, fit the cam with its supplied mount rather than recessing it (again like the GR), think Ill use some pancake style motors to further keep the height down and see just how slim and portable I can make it.

its really will be bloody thin....

15mm overall thickness and if Im lucky Ill be able to keep that pretty much the same with the right motors, should make it handy for those lunch/break time bouts of flying insanity :laugh:
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #247 on: November 20, 2018, 16:47:10 »
totally forgot to update this again.....

heres how the "slim" builds coming along....

nothings really finalized yet, still tweeking the centre spacer (new one printing as I type) but its looking good so far I think, certainly wont need to get any taller than it is right now (I love how chopped down and flat it looks, especially without that battery)

weight tests so far have seen it weigh in (with electronics, motors and a more than generous amount of estimated wire) at 280g which is obviously a definite bonus ::), with a decent sized battery on board (such as the 1300mah 4s Graphene in the pics) the weight sits about the 440g mark, thatd be 440g AUW with what should be a decent amount of flight time from the Graphene.

Think Ill invest in some smaller 4s and try and cut the weight down to 400g (or even sub 400g if im lucky) without drastically destroying flight time in the process, I fly my 250's in 5min hard blasts at the best of time so I think I should be able to manage something like with a 1100mah 4s  :crossfingers:
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #248 on: December 01, 2018, 00:35:45 »
finished tweeking the frame design and printed out the final parts.

fitted addressable led clusters on the arms (also act as motor connectors), fitted the 20a 4in1 esc and wired it all up (had to squeeze in a stepdown buck as the esc board bizarrely doesnt have a 5v bec but least the buck is also filtered so shouldnt get interference in my video atleast :rolleyes:).

Also wanted to tidy up the finished look of the thing so dug out the remains of the 0.25mm thick CF plate I had knocking about from when I built the sparky and made some clean blanks for top and bottom.

just need to order in a FC, RX and a cam&vtx and she'll be ready to go  :frantic:

with the clusters added into the mix the AUW has came upto just under 450g with the 1400 Graphene which to me doesnt feel that bad (course I would of liked lighter but in this case it would have meant also "weaker" so its a fair trade off), still optermistic I could lose 50g of that with the right 1000mah 4s  :hmm:
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #249 on: January 08, 2019, 14:39:32 »
xmas and new year finally out the way (and the inevitable post festivities problems that arise), I finally gotten the time to get back to what I WANT to do (at the risk of sounding scroog'ish I really cant be 4rsed with all this xmas crap anymore :-/)

had some problems before xmas with the slim builds electronics, was struggling to narrow it down to soemthing being wrong with the f4 fc or the 4in1 esc....turns out it was a little of both, the fc had crapped its pants and to cap it off the usb port had fried (dont ask me how I have no idea), then once I swapped in a spare I had knocking about I discovered the 4in1 was also throwing a wobbler and appeared the atleast one of the onboard esc was obviously dying....

.... pretty much put me back at square one with electronics again so I boxed everything up and tucked it up on the shelf as I knew the was zero chance Id be able to get new parts in before xmas and less than zero chance Id have the time even if I could.

well joy joy the f4 AIO fc/esc dropped on my doorstep this morning, I decided Id take the opportunity of starting fresh and use a AIO to cut down weight further, plus it worked out dam well in the Glowrider build.

grabbed myself a 30A f4 AIO in the January sales and set about slapping it in the frame.
20190108-132439" border="0

Id almost forgot how tiny those little solder pads are.... the new years boozing hadnt really helped and Im ashamed to admit Im still recovering :embarrassed
20190108-132507" border="0

somehow Ive also managed to totally lose the vtx I was gonna use so Ill just order a newun and unfortunately the motor cable I ordered hasnt shown up yet so I cant finish her up enough to have her flight ready yet :angry:, ah well it shouldnt take more than a few minutes once it does eventually show up to have it finished up and in the air, in the meantime Im gonna have a think about whether Im gonna actually use the Leds on the arms atall, they seemed a bit amp greedy when I had them working on the previous FC so Im leaning toward leaving them disconnected and just using the board as a motor connection.
20190108-133333" border="0 20190108-133343" border="020190108-133321" border="0
probably just wrap them with some silicone sealing tape to tidy it up, think I might get some black motors too just to give it that black on black with some black thrown in look (might seem a little pointless but would give it a more finished look  :shrug:)
20190108-143700" border="0
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #250 on: January 09, 2019, 12:25:36 »
wiring done.....

test hover done.....

prelim pid tuning done.....

test flight (full acro)..... done

frozen fingers.... done

DAM ITS FECKIN COLD!!!!!
20190109-121327" border="0
20190109-121341" border="0

just need the vtx to turn up but upto now she's turned out pretty good again <resists george formby impression>, barring the eating a fc and a 4in1 esc :embarrassed.

weighs in at 432g with that chunky 1800mah 4s on her back which isnt too bad imo and handles very well in the air....if a little too responsive, dunno about flight times though but they should be similar if not a little better to the glowrider (there was no way I was staying out there through several battery cycles.... Ill soddin die!)
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline hoverfly

• Liked: 1246
  • Quads, lots of quads
« Reply #251 on: January 11, 2019, 17:40:06 »
Very neat install, :smiley: although there appears to be some chicken poo on the power connections.. :whistling:
Reptile folder , alien 500 , F/ Shark Attitudes,
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...
Massive over draught.....

Offline trebor

• Old boy
  • Liked: 135
« Reply #252 on: January 11, 2019, 18:40:39 »
"Chicken poo" 😄😄

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #253 on: January 11, 2019, 19:56:42 »
Very neat install, :smiley: although there appears to be some chicken poo on the power connections.. :whistling:

aye just hooked em in and did a quick solder job, Ill tidy that up later after Ive got the VTX in and before I button her up for the foreseeable future
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #254 on: January 17, 2019, 22:21:42 »
aaaaaaaaaaaaaand.... this puppie is done
20190117-220322" border="0
20190117-220358" border="0
20190117-220426" border="0
20190117-220434" border="0

now the only question is.....

what do I make next :whistling:
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline ched999uk

• Liked: 671
« Reply #255 on: January 17, 2019, 22:26:13 »

FLY CRASH REPEAT.

Looks great. Why is the battery on it's side?

Offline Reman

• Liked: 212
  • Fly, Crash, Rebuild, Repeat.
« Reply #256 on: January 17, 2019, 23:05:41 »

If you want to try something different, Why not design and print a 3" hex frame for 1407 motors? Or even more unusual, A 3" "X8" frame with integrated landing legs to keep the bottom motors/blades off the ground?

If you made either I think I'd probably find myself quite easily persuaded into purchasing a frame off you. :)

Or how about scaling up a "Tiny whoop" style frame to take standard 5" kit? It would definitely be an attention grabber at your local flying site. LOL!!!
I need a pay rise........ Though I'd settle for a reduction in the amount of hours I need to work to get the same money.

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #257 on: January 18, 2019, 08:51:13 »
the hex approach had occurred  but everytime I looked.at it it struck me more as a gimmick than something practical in anything but a larger camship type role, just can't see it being of benefit in a 250 or smaller that's leaning more toward maneuverability and speed.

as for the upscale whoop, I had a look at that a while ago to but came to a quick conclusion, yes it's possible and yes it'd probably look pretty cool but I'd have to make one of two sacrifices in the build to make it work... build it strong enough to atleast survive the minimal of bump but sacrifice lightness or build it as light and sacrifice strength big time... so it'd either LOOK whoop but fly BRICK or LOOK whoop and fly itself to bits :laugh:

ps... the current state of my 250 and lower hanger....
20190118-112016" border="0

top left- zmr low rider (my trusted test bed)
bottom left - the new slimbuild
top right - Project sparkie 170 version (still my fave little pocket rocket)
middle right - Glowrider (in terms of performance AND looks my fave 250 still)
bottom right - Project sparkie 190 version (purely an upscale to allow better prop options)

still feel my hanger wall needs some "filling out".... the missus obviously disagree's but what does she know :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 11:33:38 by shawdreamer »
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline ched999uk

• Liked: 671
« Reply #258 on: January 18, 2019, 12:42:33 »
Do you notice any flight characteristics difference in th H vs X type layouts?

One thing you could build is a tri rotor!

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #259 on: January 18, 2019, 16:28:41 »
tbf the original zmr config (which is what the Glowrider is based on) isnt really a H-copter as a H has its motors spaced evenly in most cases, The Zmr is a bit of a black sheep, not quite a H in shape and not quite a X in dimensions, its front motors are closer to the rears than the left are to the right which means you dont get an evenly distributed thrust in certain situ's.

If you throw a Zmr into a tight turn at relatively high thrust using both yaw and roll as you would with a typical X frame (sort of turning the frame with a single motor dipped more than the others you'll find it'll come out of the turn with a fair degree of wobble as the fc has to deal with the slightly odd characteristics of the frame layout (of course if you stay in acro you can deal with this yourself but any form of self leveling despite what degree will show signs of over compensation)

It aint devastating by any means but is does tend to bug you after a while as you push the frame harder and especially during fpv flying.

altering the frame to a even X config like the Slim build completely eliminates that issue so the Slim gives me all the characteristics and flying style I have with the Glowrider but without the cornering jiggle,  its just generally an allround better balanced setup....plus the Slim is a little bit lighter (not much) than the Glow so It feels like it steams along a fair bit better, the 30Amp f4 AIO is also surprisingly solid in this build too, works very well with Betaflight too.
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline Reman

• Liked: 212
  • Fly, Crash, Rebuild, Repeat.
« Reply #260 on: January 20, 2019, 14:49:36 »
the hex approach had occurred  but everytime I looked.at it it struck me more as a gimmick than something practical in anything but a larger camship type role, just can't see it being of benefit in a 250 or smaller that's leaning more toward maneuverability and speed.

I find smaller hexes seem to be a bit more "floaty" when compared to similar sized quads, They're not really a racing frame, But for smooth relaxing freestyle they're really quite good.

I like 300 to 400mm hexs with slightly under specced motors to keep the overall power requirements close to that of a similar sized quad, Mainly because I can still get a higher power to weight ratio but without having to get separate larger high C packs to run them. At the minute I only have two hex's ready to go though because I dismantled the other two for parts.

I'm not really a racer. I still need to concentrate on flying because I've never been able to get to the level where I have automatic reactions. Because of this I like the more relaxing flight characteristics of the "Midi" hexs, But I still think a 3" hex on 14XX motors might be a nice thing to have in the flight bag.

as for the upscale whoop, I had a look at that a while ago to but came to a quick conclusion, yes it's possible and yes it'd probably look pretty cool but I'd have to make one of two sacrifices in the build to make it work... build it strong enough to at least survive the minimal of bump but sacrifice lightness or build it as light and sacrifice strength big time... so it'd either LOOK whoop but fly BRICK or LOOK whoop and fly itself to bits :laugh:

I did think about that. After seeing your Sparkie with the custom carbon bottom plate I was picturing a "Whoop" shaped 1.5 or 2mm carbon fibre frame plate sandwiched between upper and lower 3D printed ducts, Battery mount, and flight electronics/FPV Camera cover. It still wouldn't be light, But it would be something different.

ps... the current state of my 250 and lower hanger....
20190118-112016" border="0

top left- zmr low rider (my trusted test bed)
bottom left - the new slimbuild
top right - Project sparkie 170 version (still my fave little pocket rocket)
middle right - Glowrider (in terms of performance AND looks my fave 250 still)
bottom right - Project sparkie 190 version (purely an upscale to allow better prop options)

still feel my hanger wall needs some "filling out".... the missus obviously disagree's but what does she know :rolleyes:

I feel your pain. I've run out of space on the wall......  ::)

All but the "Floss'a'like" (The highest one) and the Q280 (Just below it) are ready to fly. But there's also 4 more in the main flight bag (3x 5" and a 6"), And a couple camera platforms I haven't got around to finishing yet.

I'm starting to think that I really should get rid of a few, But they all bring something slightly different to the party, So I'm not sure I could choose which ones to part with (And of course, With the current "Anti Drone" public mentality, and the new breed of sub £100 budget quad kits that seem to be coming out weekly, older stuff like mine isn't really worth a huge amount now) :-/
I need a pay rise........ Though I'd settle for a reduction in the amount of hours I need to work to get the same money.

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #261 on: January 21, 2019, 21:49:59 »
couple of minor design tweeks to squeeze a dvr on their without having it being unreachable...
20190121-210135-1" border="0
20190121-210225-1" border="0
20190121-210144-1" border="0
20190121-210212-1" border="0

remembered to swap out the daldrop tri's Ive been running uptil now for test flights and slapped on some of the four blade banshee's Ive come to love...forgot just how much a difference such a simple change can make, those Dal Tri's can be pretty efficient props if thats what your after but there's just no comparison performance wise.

It went from a almost sedate calm if frisky little flyer to another little nutcase that likes nothing better than screaming along at ridiculous pace finding gaps that normally would seem far to small to attempt.... just the way I like it ::)

Just need to update the cam for something of better quality like the foxeer on the glowrider or a runcam swift, cam footage is just about good enough to fly fpv but hardly worth recording :cry
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard