Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,October 03, 2024, 14:28:45

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
12 May 2024 08:13:51
 I have some F1 Abusemark boards going spare,,,,,,,,,,,,,    ;)    :azn
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:12:29
And with oldskool parts  :D
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:11:57
I must be the only one doing tricopters right now  :laugh:
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:09:30
 :D
Gaza07:
11 May 2024 21:15:16
Domain has been renewed closure has been cancelled  :D
Gaza07:
02 May 2024 08:07:52
Who are most people ??? I think the person you are referring to has put in a lot of effort to keep things moving  :rolleyes:
hoverfly:
01 May 2024 10:16:12
Most people I have spoken to are pizzed off with the yellow peril  flooding the forum,go figure. :whistling:
Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,479
  • Total Topics: 20,271
  • Online today: 22
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 28
Total: 28

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Advice

Started by payne, Sunday,October 16, 2016, 23:25:49

Previous topic - Next topic

payne

I';m looking at having a go at fpv with a quad
I';ve got a cheapo quad that I fly line of sight  but I';m looking at
getting another quad
I want the quad to be able to complete the BMFA multirotor B test
and to move onto fpv
what models do you suggest?
I prefer an off the shelf model

if it goes skyward I'll try not to crash it

Two-Six

Hi Payne,
Let me be the first person to give you one of these :welcome:

First off the BMFA B test requires that you LOOP you multi-rotor  :wack0

Here are the rules: http://achievements.bmfa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Multi-Rotor-Certificates-2016v2.pdf

Appendix 5 Multi-rotor Loop for Fixed Pitch Multi-rotors Technique

1 Approach with a nice steady throttle to maintain a constant height, but flying forwards with enough speed to begin the loop.
In the first quarter of the loop throttle is used to start the multi-rotor around a circular path, with only a small amount of elevator to maintain shape.

In the second quarter of the loop, between 4 and 6 the multi-rotor will rotate to a little under 90°. During these stages throttle is used to essentially drive the multi-rotor over the top part of the loop.

In the third quarter of the loop the multi-rotor is rotated a full 180° while using between 10-25% throttle. At no point should the throttle be allowed to drop to zero or control can and will be lost.

In the final quarter of the loop the focus is on using throttle to catch the multi-rotor while using elevator to finish the shape of the circle and fly out.

Aim to continue to carry the same speed on exit.
Common Mistakes
The loop is not round.  Often caused by not using enough throttle at stages 4-6 or over relying on elevator only.

Significant height loss from starting height.  Often caused by not rotating quickly enough in stages 6-8 or applying enough throttle in stage 9.

Quad stalls and does not fly out of the loop.  Often caused by over rotating at step 9 and not allowing the multi to gain forward momentum.

So your quad will need to be able to do this.

An of the shelf quad that can loop..... :hmm:

Perhaps the new DJI Mavic will have an auto-loop button ;-)

About "moving on to FPV", I don';t think its a next step kind of thing its totally different from LOS flying.  If anything you would fly POV for the sake of it and to test your FPV gear and what not.  Then try the FPV, just go for it!

Simulators are a great help as FPV is very like a video game.

Nighthawk Pro, Trex 450 L Dominator 6 cell *FLOWN*, Blade 450-3D, MCPX-BL, MCPX-V2, Hubsan X4, Seagull Boomerang IC .40 trainer, HK Bixler, AXN Clouds fly,, Spektrum DX7, Taranis, AccuRC

Cheredanine

Spectacularly out of date mind, BF maintains full authority at zero throttle

kilby

There';s a fair few things that you could use if you want an ready (or almost) ready to fly, though the state of the pound has messed the pricing up nicely.

What sort of flying are you wanting to do after completing your B cert, as that would point towards what you may be wanting to get.

Armattan will supply many of their machines ready built and have the advantage of a lifetime guarantee on the frame parts (excepting power distribution boards)

The Immersion Vortex and TBS Vendetta are also more than capable (though to me a little expensive and parts are only available from one source)
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

insx

The Eachine Wizard X220 looks interesting if you don';t mind purple. The video transmitter is slightly illegal at 200mW.

payne

thanks guys
I';m aware that the B test has a loop in it
flying 1/4 scale heli';s and 90 sized pod and boom heli';s
I fly scale (ish) and attempting not to crash trying 3d

with the quad I';m looking at trying a little camera work and attempting a go at flying through a course like they do with the racing
as I don';t know one quad from another that';s why I';ve asked the question

H_Simpson

Quote from: Two-Six on Monday,October 17, 2016, 10:28:35
In the third quarter of the loop the multi-rotor is rotated a full 180° while using between 10-25% throttle. At no point should the throttle be allowed to drop to zero or control can and will be lost.

I suggest a little air mode to resolve this issue

Cheredanine

See problem with rtf is two fold:
You will crashing, it will break, you will need to fix it, this will require you to have all the skills and knowledge you need to build one.
Secondly very few rtf quads are actually any good, they are usually cheap bespoke cr@p.

The only real exceptions to the latter are the immersionrc vortex and the tbs vendetta.
Both are pricey.

if you can';t run to that price range then an emax nighthawk

Fletch

An RTF quad that will be very hard to break, and the frame has a lifetime warranty.

http://www.armattanquads.com/armadillo-rxr/

You';ll still need a TX (maybe an RX if your not using spektrum)

To add FPV you need a HS1177 camera and a Video Transmitter

It will be perfectly tuned ... i';m sure if you email Chris the owner he will accommodate anything you need.  He is superb!

Fletch

However, the building of it is getting to know your quad.

I wouldn';t recommend the armadillo for your first ever build ... it is very very tight!

insx

Quote from: Cheredanine on Monday,October 17, 2016, 21:21:35

Secondly very few rtf quads are actually any good, they are usually cheap bespoke cr@p.

The only real exceptions to the latter are the immersionrc vortex and the tbs vendetta.
Both are pricey.

if you can';t run to that price range then an emax nighthawk

The Eachine Wizard actually looks like it';s made of fairly standard stuff this time, not like the Racer or the Falcon. I agree though, it';s a much better idea to build your own.

DerbyshireDrones

The OP has mentioned that he wants to try both camera work and flying around a course.

I just wanted to point out that it will be hard to find a one-quad-fits-all solution if by camera work you mean Phantom/Mavic/Karma style camera work, a quad that is small enough and ';nice to fly'; enough for flying round a course/racing probably wont be stable enough or big enough to get video on par with a Phantom/Mavic/Karma.

We offer a range of plug and fly 250 quads, or if you want to build your own you could also try one of our Power Packs, which contain most of the electronics you need to build your own, all you need is a frame and a final few components.
Visit our store! - [url="//www.derbyshiredrones.net"]www.DerbyshireDrones.net[/url]

Two-Six

I just read about this little beggar:

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__82859__Quanum_Chaotic_3D_Quad_RTF_Mode_2_.html

Its cheap and it does upside down!

Looks good to me.

No camera or FPV and probably nowhere to fit one but still.

However I am not sure if the BMFA flight test lets you use any electronic stabilisation.  I think it still needs to be clock-work. :shrug:
Nighthawk Pro, Trex 450 L Dominator 6 cell *FLOWN*, Blade 450-3D, MCPX-BL, MCPX-V2, Hubsan X4, Seagull Boomerang IC .40 trainer, HK Bixler, AXN Clouds fly,, Spektrum DX7, Taranis, AccuRC

payne

I don';t do hobby king as everything i';ve ordered from there didn';t work

apollo7

Quote from: payne on Wednesday,October 19, 2016, 19:57:45
I don';t do hobby king as everything i';ve ordered from there didn';t work

If ordering from China i like to use banggood, not let me down yet
Volantex Ranger 1600/2000, Ranger 1200 G2, Phoenix S 1600 AR900 Miniskyhunter, ZOHD Dart 635 and a few 680 batwings plus old faithful C1 chaser and a lot of eagletree guardians

payne

I';ve opted for a nighthawk 250 from Derbyshire drones
it arrived safe and well
I haven';t yet been able to get to fly it
I';ve got a fat shark predator v2 fpv kit and fitted it to a cheap £10 rc car to get used to controlling via fpv
I';ve found it easier to have the camera mounted on the windscreen of the car than at the front of the model as I have the bumper/bulbar to orientate