Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Wednesday,October 02, 2024, 13:29:43

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
12 May 2024 08:13:51
 I have some F1 Abusemark boards going spare,,,,,,,,,,,,,    ;)    :azn
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:12:29
And with oldskool parts  :D
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:11:57
I must be the only one doing tricopters right now  :laugh:
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:09:30
 :D
Gaza07:
11 May 2024 21:15:16
Domain has been renewed closure has been cancelled  :D
Gaza07:
02 May 2024 08:07:52
Who are most people ??? I think the person you are referring to has put in a lot of effort to keep things moving  :rolleyes:
hoverfly:
01 May 2024 10:16:12
Most people I have spoken to are pizzed off with the yellow peril  flooding the forum,go figure. :whistling:
Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,479
  • Total Topics: 20,271
  • Online today: 33
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 29
Total: 30

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Dji mavic

Started by buzz_uk, Wednesday,October 05, 2016, 11:36:40

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz_uk

Hi, I fly an f450 and a little 250 racer built by me but I';ve had an itch for a while to go phantom and now the mavic has come out my finger keeps hovering over the buy button. My main question is are the phantoms as easy to fly as people say? Do they basically look after themselves in the air to a degree? leaving more time for video etc?  My f450 is quite weighty with a gimbal etc and can be a handful to fly.......
Many thanks

kilby

I honestly couldn';t say (don';t think anybody but those who got the review versions could)

But one thing that made it interesting was the Flitetest guys treating it the way I treated my 450, which was like a fat racer and the Mavic seemed to be responsive enough to seem like it was actually fun to fly.

Might be a bit worried about the FPV flight options but I';';m sure clarification will turn up over the next few weeks.
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

hoverfly

I was in a similar position , but using an Alien600.  It did the job really well but flight times were  restrictive, also having the gimbal separate ,and the vid t/x meant a lot of checking and setting up time.Using  a Gopro also meant lots of post flight processing.I still managed some really good pics but it was hard work.
With the Phantom (3 Advanced)  its unpack fit props,  connect t/x,  do safety check  and fly.
The gimbal control is very smooth and being able to adjust exposure is great. Getting composition  right is a lot better.  For a photographic  a/c they are hard to beat.
On the down side it really is painful letting go of the cash. ::)
Reptile folder , alien 500 , F/ Shark Attitudes,
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...
Massive over draught.....

buzz_uk

THe phantoms/mavic just look so simple to fly, while I love my 450 it can be a ball ache at times..... too much energy goes into flying it rather than enjoying it..... I think I';m gonna hit the buy button

buzz_uk

hoverfly

O.M.G. got to admire your  cojones,  don';t be surprised if you wake in the night sweating and thinking  "what have I done" this feeling soon goes and is replaced with a silly grin when the quad arrives. ~~
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...

buzz_uk

Took the money straight out of my account.... bit unnerving 😐

Revs

Quote from: buzz_uk on Wednesday,October 05, 2016, 15:54:21
Mavic ordered

Yay we can be Mavic buddies  :laugh: Did you also feel your IQ drop as soon as you hit ';confirm order';? I had to fight the urge to go FPVing over a large crowd of people.

Quote from: buzz_uk on Wednesday,October 05, 2016, 16:05:53
Took the money straight out of my account.... bit unnerving 😐

Yeah unfortunately that seems to have become an acceptable way of doing business over the last few years. Most companies used to wait until dispatch before taking the money.

hoverfly

Still resisting :sweating: :sweating: slightly concerned about  new regs. :hmm:

H_Simpson

Quote from: buzz_uk on Wednesday,October 05, 2016, 15:54:21
Mavic ordered

I';d love to know how you get on with it when it arrives.  I hear the 16th October, is that right?

buzz_uk

I think as I ordered today, I';ll be more like late oct-Nov

apollo7

Quote from: hoverfly on Wednesday,October 05, 2016, 19:22:18
Still resisting :sweating: :sweating: slightly concerned about  new regs. :hmm:
The new regs might make a huge difference to all aspects of the hobby and might put the dampers on people bying for a while
Volantex Ranger 1600/2000, Ranger 1200 G2, Phoenix S 1600 AR900 Miniskyhunter, ZOHD Dart 635 and a few 680 batwings plus old faithful C1 chaser and a lot of eagletree guardians

Sweet Pickle

I';ve had one in my basket 3x now and aborted the mission.
I do fancy one but swimming against my usual impulsive self something is just holding me back.
Part of me knows I should learn to fly one of the dozen craft I already own, part of me thinks that flash 4k video means less to me than the thrill of thrashing a nimble 250 about (which I haven';t even done yet) and the final part of me thinks it';s winter, chances of me flying it for a few months is remote at best. If I still need one come spring then it was meant to be.
Besides, it';s 2 months until the drone show and I';ll probably end up spunking a small fortune up the wall there on stuff I';ll not use.

buzz_uk

Pretty much identical to my situation, I built an f450 and added pretty much everything osd, gimbal, 7" monitor etc. I also built a 250 racer with fpv etc..... I';m half way to being able to fly them well but I';ve just had an itch for a phantom. Now the mavic has pushed me over the edge, I just want the ease of use and the quality of video I may be able to achieve. I';ll never get rid of the two I';ve built, they';re like children to me......
The mavic was in my basket for three days 😂

Waylander1o1

Yeah I nearly ordered one but since I';ve never flown a multi rotor or anything else for that matter before I';ve decided to hold off for a bit and order a Hubsan X4 n get some practice in unless anyone can think of anything better to practice with something cheap (up to £100) and stable

Andy_R

The latest Syma 5 series drones are good for beginners because they have height hold, but they are a little pricier than the Hubsan.

Waylander1o1

Thanks for that Andy I';ll look into that didn';t realise there were that many drones on the market it';s hard to choose any you don';t want to be waisting hundreds of pounds on rubbish and getting disheartened especially when I';ve been wanting to try this for a long time. I eventually want to upgrade to the mavic for the video side and the fun but reading about the pitch and yaw and orientation I think it';s a long way off yet but thanx for the info much appreciated

guest325

Quote from: Waylander1o1 on Tuesday,October 11, 2016, 11:33:35
Thanks for that Andy I';ll look into that didn';t realise there were that many drones on the market it';s hard to choose any you don';t want to be waisting hundreds of pounds on rubbish and getting disheartened especially when I';ve been wanting to try this for a long time. I eventually want to upgrade to the mavic for the video side and the fun but reading about the pitch and yaw and orientation I think it';s a long way off yet but thanx for the info much appreciated
If you want something that will give you the sort of behaviour that an aerial platform will give have a look at these:
http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopters/pp_211851.html?currency=GBP&gclid=CjwKEAjwm_K_BRDx5o-sxq6ouXASJAC7TsFL7ChuBlXvDlcSgmsnrBtCx8SYumFiK3oJZdvU1A_SZRoCnIDw_wcB
My review:
http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=18301.msg164843#msg164843

Revs

I cancellled my Mavic order. It turns out the Mavic has a flaw which would bother me. When recording in 1080p60, what I use most, it suffers from rather bad aliasing and moire due to the way it processes the image (it uses binning instead of scaling like the P4).

I ended up getting a Phantom 4, but it came with a bad motor bearing. My supplier is replacing the full unit which will be here for the weekend. I did have a quick fly before I returned it though and I';m really pleased with it. It';s so odd flying for 20+mins when you';re used to 3-4mins :laugh: Image quality is stunning and while it handles like a bowl of jelly it';s still fun.

So yes, don';t get the Mavic if you want good quality 60fps footage! Check this out...

http://youtu.be/fAPh7k3b_ig

Also click through and give this knob a thumbsdown for the location.

buzz_uk

My mavic was shipped yesterday, right now it';s at an airport in Hong Kong and will be with me Monday mate

apollo7

Quote from: Revs on Wednesday,November 09, 2016, 17:26:06
I cancellled my Mavic order. It turns out the Mavic has a flaw which would bother me. When recording in 1080p60, what I use most, it suffers from rather bad aliasing and moire due to the way it processes the image (it uses binning instead of scaling like the P4).

I ended up getting a Phantom 4, but it came with a bad motor bearing. My supplier is replacing the full unit which will be here for the weekend. I did have a quick fly before I returned it though and I';m really pleased with it. It';s so odd flying for 20+mins when you';re used to 3-4mins :laugh: Image quality is stunning and while it handles like a bowl of jelly it';s still fun.

So yes, don';t get the Mavic if you want good quality 60fps footage! Check this out...

Also click through and give this knob a thumbsdown for the location.

I would say you made right choice getting P4, just make sure props are secure before each flight as they are some kind of bayonet fit, you say it handles like a bowl of jelly, i guess compared to a hotsy totsey 250 but for s camera drone i find the phantom can work pretty well
Volantex Ranger 1600/2000, Ranger 1200 G2, Phoenix S 1600 AR900 Miniskyhunter, ZOHD Dart 635 and a few 680 batwings plus old faithful C1 chaser and a lot of eagletree guardians

H_Simpson

It';s disappointing to be sure, but I rarely used 60 on my zen muse gimbal, as it is sooo steady anyhow, so I guess it';s not a deal breaker for me, as I still love the overall concept, of good quality footage, useful features and the killer portability, flight times and Grand Prix ';out of bag to air'; speediness.
Can';t wait for mine! 

Revs

Quote from: H_Simpson on Thursday,November 10, 2016, 00:16:22
It';s disappointing to be sure, but I rarely used 60 on my zen muse gimbal, as it is sooo steady anyhow, so I guess it';s not a deal breaker for me, as I still love the overall concept, of good quality footage, useful features and the killer portability, flight times and Grand Prix ';out of bag to air'; speediness.
Can';t wait for mine!

Yeah I really wish it wasn';t the case as I like the Mavic otherwise. It would have probably been due to land soon too..

H_Simpson

Yeah, still, I guess v2 is on it';s way already as we speak, with fixed 1080/60!  You can do a P-ex!   :evil

PropsToYou

Quote from: Revs on Wednesday,November 09, 2016, 17:26:06

Looking at how stupid he is with his choice of locations, he';s just lucky he went Mavic and not Karma!
But yeah, that quality does NOT look up to scratch!
DJI Inspire 2 X5s
DJI Mavic 2 Pro
GEPRC CineLog20
iFlight Nazgul 5 HD
iFlight Nazgul Evoque F6D V2
iFlight Chimera 7 HD
QAV-Pro Whoop 5
----------------

Portfolio Site: \www.JoshForwood.co.uk
Online Store: \www.ByteTech.co.uk

H_Simpson

flycatchers

I wonder if the moiré is less at 50 rather than 60fps?
Phantom 1 with DYS smart 3 axis gimbal
Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3 3D and FPV
GoPro Hero 3 Black

Revs

Quote from: flycatchers on Thursday,November 10, 2016, 16:29:16
I wonder if the moiré is less at 50 rather than 60fps?

From what I read it';s not too bad at 30fps, but anything higher and the capture method of the sensor changes and binning kicks in.