Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Wednesday,October 09, 2024, 05:27:42

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
12 May 2024 08:13:51
 I have some F1 Abusemark boards going spare,,,,,,,,,,,,,    ;)    :azn
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:12:29
And with oldskool parts  :D
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:11:57
I must be the only one doing tricopters right now  :laugh:
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:09:30
 :D
Gaza07:
11 May 2024 21:15:16
Domain has been renewed closure has been cancelled  :D
Gaza07:
02 May 2024 08:07:52
Who are most people ??? I think the person you are referring to has put in a lot of effort to keep things moving  :rolleyes:
hoverfly:
01 May 2024 10:16:12
Most people I have spoken to are pizzed off with the yellow peril  flooding the forum,go figure. :whistling:
Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,480
  • Total Topics: 20,271
  • Online today: 28
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 26
Total: 26

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Measuring your Lipo's Internal Resistance

Started by nate80, Friday,September 23, 2016, 12:35:43

Previous topic - Next topic

nate80

Do you measure and monitor your batteries Internal Resistance values?

After a few of my LiPo';s have started to puff a little I want to better monitor my batteries, so I';ve been looking at the easiest way of performing IR checks.

Hobbyking sell a Turnigy 7 in 1 Mega Meter that measures IR, but I';ve read contrasting reviews about it';s performance, and I think it can only check one cell at a time?  It does lots of other stuff too though, like measuring thrust, which could be very handy.

Hobbyking also sell a stand alone Turnigy IR meter that is super easy to use and checks all cells.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=29669

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=76782

Does anyone have either of these tools, or is there a better easy way to test IR values?

guest325

I use the 7 in 1, it';s a useful tool to have, like any cheaply made Chinese equipment it need not be as accurate as more expensive  ones but it';s a good indication if things are not right!

nate80

Thanks Darrell.  ~~  I';m really tempted by the 7 in 1.  I really like the fact it can do so much, and even measure thrust values. 

I';m not expecting perfection, but how accurate would you say it is at measuring IR values?  And am I right in thinking you have to measure each cell individually via the balance port, or does it measure all the cells at the same time?

guest325

From what I can remember you check each cell using the balance lead, It picks up batteries on their way out easily if you check them regularly and plot a graph - it soon shows up!

nate80

That';s great, thanks.   :smiley:

I found the PDF instruction manual for the 7-in-1 Mega Meter online and it seems to show a make-shift lead (the cable isn';t shown on hobby king at least) that attached to 2 of the balance lead pins (+ and one of the cells, I guess) on the battery you want to test.  Then the 7-in-1 gets powered by the XT60 of another battery.  Seems an overly complicated way to test IR, and the cables used between the tester and the battery will surely have a negative impact on the reading.   :hmm:

I';m not sure I';d want to rely on the Mega for IR results as I don';t plan to keep a log of each batteries figures throughout its lifespan, but I still could use it';s other functions so I bought it anyway.  And I also bought the stand alone IR tester, which looks far easier to use and is supposedly more accurate, plus it can test the IR of all a batteries cells in one go.   ~~

Two-Six

I have this charger that measures the internal resistance of my batteries.  Its also a pretty nice dual port charger.  You can get them for cheaper than the RRP of £90 if you shop around.  That Turningy meter looks handy but for another £35 you can get a very capable charger as well as an IR meter.

http://www.overlander.co.uk/chargers/chargers/rc-d100-ac-dc-dual-balance-charger.html

Nighthawk Pro, Trex 450 L Dominator 6 cell *FLOWN*, Blade 450-3D, MCPX-BL, MCPX-V2, Hubsan X4, Seagull Boomerang IC .40 trainer, HK Bixler, AXN Clouds fly,, Spektrum DX7, Taranis, AccuRC

nate80

Quote from: Two-Six on Saturday,September 24, 2016, 11:50:35
I have this charger that measures the internal resistance of my batteries.  Its also a pretty nice dual port charger.  You can get them for cheaper than the RRP of £90 if you shop around.  That Turningy meter looks handy but for another £35 you can get a very capable charger as well as an IR meter.

http://www.overlander.co.uk/chargers/chargers/rc-d100-ac-dc-dual-balance-charger.html

Cheers Two-Six.   :smiley:  I had looked into potential chargers with IR features built in, but decided against it in the end as I already have 2 very capable charger which can safely charge 10 LiPo';s at once, so I don';t really need another.  And the turnigy IR meter';s small and easy to chuck in a flight bag.