Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Wednesday,October 09, 2024, 03:28:24

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
12 May 2024 08:13:51
 I have some F1 Abusemark boards going spare,,,,,,,,,,,,,    ;)    :azn
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:12:29
And with oldskool parts  :D
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:11:57
I must be the only one doing tricopters right now  :laugh:
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:09:30
 :D
Gaza07:
11 May 2024 21:15:16
Domain has been renewed closure has been cancelled  :D
Gaza07:
02 May 2024 08:07:52
Who are most people ??? I think the person you are referring to has put in a lot of effort to keep things moving  :rolleyes:
hoverfly:
01 May 2024 10:16:12
Most people I have spoken to are pizzed off with the yellow peril  flooding the forum,go figure. :whistling:
Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,480
  • Total Topics: 20,271
  • Online today: 28
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 13
Total: 13

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

We have Splash down

Started by Everso, Tuesday,September 20, 2016, 08:44:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Everso

Hi all -

I have previously mentioned this in another thread but thought I would discuss it in the general section. Partly seeking advice - partly for others searching in the same problem ... But I guess mostly to give you guys a chance to laugh at the noob...

I was out tonight with my 250. I needed to do a few shots with an action cam I am reviewing. The only place local was near a local pond (come on - you know where this is going already don';t you). So long story short - bit of wind and a loss of power (came down even on full throttle) and splash.

Lucky it was fresh water and only in the drink for less than 2 minutes (plus side - good review and footage for the camera). The water was only knee deep and I was able to find it because the LEDs were still on. There was a some smoke coming out of one of the motors when I fished it out but I pulled the battery immediately.

At home I opened up the FCB (APM) and the RX then washed them both in Isopropyl alcohol(or something like that). I figure give it a day or two then start testing bit by bit and see what survived and what died.

I am getting more Isopropyl alcohol today and will give everything another wash and also flush out the motors and ESCs. After that I leave it for a day or two to dry out and start testing. Get the APM into a computer. If that works then I will put the RX in and see how that does. I can';t think of a was of testing the ESCs/motors one at a time so will probable just plug the battery in (with no FCB attached). I figure if anything smokes and goes bang it was already dead.

Now - if anyone has suggestion for a better approach please shout up. This is my first submarine conversion and I will be happy for any pearls of wisdom.

Everso.

topdonkey

If you';ve soaked the motors in ipa, dont forget to re-oil the bearings, otherwise they will likely seize up mid flight, not good !

Slayer23

Rice is fantastic for drying out circuit boards fill a zip lock bag with rice and circuit board and leave in a warm place for a couple of days .

I have a couple of kits designed for mobiles and they are much the same but contain silica gel crystals instead of rice

Neil :D
Mr,Mr, Can I have a go
please, please, please
oh did you want to hit that tree
shoulda let me have a go Mr I wouldn't have let it go that far I cant see it past 30m
bet you wish you had let me have a go no Mr
EH ??? Don't You ? Mr

guest325

Put everything in a box with a shedload of rice in and put it in the airing cupboard for a couple of days - works great!!!
Shucks, beat me to it  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

hoverfly

Reptile folder , alien 500 , F/ Shark Attitudes,
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...
Massive over draught.....

LuMan

Firstly, I hope it all gets nicely dried out and flying again  ~~

Secondly, where';s the footage?? Please share!!  :laugh: :popcorn:
Potensic F181DH  -  Ghost 250 (blue)  -  Cheerson CX-10/A  -  Syma X11C  -  FQ777-FQ17W  -  Eachine E57  -  BetaFPV 65S  -  Robocat 280 (in build)  -  Ghost 250 LED (in build) - And lots of broken stuff!

Everso

Bloody vulture - just after video of my saddest time... Of course I will upload it  :popcorn:

It';s on one of the home PCs - Ill stick it on when I get home. The advice offered here is pretty much in line some general goggling came up with last night. The RX and FCB have had the casings removed. I will flush with the ioswhats it - I think I will also see if I can get some in the plastic shielding the ESCs and pour over the motors. Then as everybody says - leave for a few days in rice and try one bit at a time.

Everso.

Slayer23

Make sure you video it see I';m a real vulture lol
Mr,Mr, Can I have a go
please, please, please
oh did you want to hit that tree
shoulda let me have a go Mr I wouldn't have let it go that far I cant see it past 30m
bet you wish you had let me have a go no Mr
EH ??? Don't You ? Mr

Everso

O.K. - I got it ready to share. Can I upload it here or is it a YouTube job and share a link sort of a deal?

LuMan

Youtube and link seems to be the vogue  ;)

Just grabbing me popcorn....  :popcorn:
Potensic F181DH  -  Ghost 250 (blue)  -  Cheerson CX-10/A  -  Syma X11C  -  FQ777-FQ17W  -  Eachine E57  -  BetaFPV 65S  -  Robocat 280 (in build)  -  Ghost 250 LED (in build) - And lots of broken stuff!

Everso

Saleem

Everso

Saleem

I started to feel sick at first!your camera looks too much to the ground tilt it up a little more.i made the same mistake when I got my action camera and all I did was film the ground,it';s soo much nicer when the cam records what you see especially when flying around so the camera needs to at least have its lens level to the front of the quad but preferably slightly tilted upwards.

Nice little pond though,was that a gnome fishing?
:laugh:

Can put my  :popcorn: away now.

Thanks.
:smiley:

Everso

Well to be honest the camera mounting was a bit of a lash up. My wife was asked to get me to take some "sky video" as I had just got the quad. I stuck it on and did what I could without a popper mount. A 250 is far from ideal to stick a GoPro on but there you go. The F550 and F450 have arrived now and the will be the photo drones with the 250 as a fun flyer without camera.

We live - we learn and sometimes we go into a stagnant pond up to our knees...

Everso.

guest325

Note to self........ don';t fly so close to water next time!!!
Ankle deep grass is much safer.....

Everso

Yeha - again far from ideal but it was windy out and that place was in a dip. I had to get it done that day so gave it ago. In fairness I had already done footage for another quad and GoPro there without any incident (same day - lots of reviews...) It was a case of unlucky third time. On the plus side the guy I was reviewing the camera for loved the footage so there is that.

But hey - it';s in bits and should be dry. And if nothing else I know a lot more about how quads go together than I did before. I didn';t want to be someone who just bought a phantom and chucked it up there. If I';m going to fly quads I want to know what goes into them etc. So it';s all part of the learning experience...

Everso

insx

I';m finding that bad PIDs and wind do not mix well. My quad has been doing all sorts of weird things including unscheduled drops and spinning out of control. I';ve gone back to Cleanflight as Betaflight seems to be a bit of a beast and not intended for angle/horizon which I still need to use at the moment.

Everso

Quote from: insx on Wednesday,September 21, 2016, 20:47:05
I';m finding that bad PIDs and wind do not mix well.

I have only been playing with quads for a couple of weeks - but I certainly have to agree with you on this one  :whistling:

LuMan

Thanks for posting, Everso. Those of us who are still learning (do we ever stop learning??) find these events really useful... and also a little fun, too  ;)

Things were going great at the start, so I hope you get it all sorted  ~~

BTW - was the water cold????  :tongue: