Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,October 17, 2024, 00:23:11

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
12 May 2024 08:13:51
 I have some F1 Abusemark boards going spare,,,,,,,,,,,,,    ;)    :azn
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:12:29
And with oldskool parts  :D
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:11:57
I must be the only one doing tricopters right now  :laugh:
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:09:30
 :D
Gaza07:
11 May 2024 21:15:16
Domain has been renewed closure has been cancelled  :D
Gaza07:
02 May 2024 08:07:52
Who are most people ??? I think the person you are referring to has put in a lot of effort to keep things moving  :rolleyes:
hoverfly:
01 May 2024 10:16:12
Most people I have spoken to are pizzed off with the yellow peril  flooding the forum,go figure. :whistling:
Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,481
  • Total Topics: 20,271
  • Online today: 27
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Todays controversial discussion 4, 6, or 8 props small or large ???

Started by Slayer23, Sunday,August 28, 2016, 17:49:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Slayer23

Ok todays discussion subject is as the title states.

I see all these pretty little racing quads being built but all I want is something huge I can see at 400M away lol
I want it to be nimble but not necessarily fast.
I want it to be a platform to take photos but would also like to be able to use it for FPV
So the question is how big is
a) Too big
b) Too small
How many props are just right ?

Try to keep the answers clean guys and on topic lol

Neil :)
Mr,Mr, Can I have a go
please, please, please
oh did you want to hit that tree
shoulda let me have a go Mr I wouldn't have let it go that far I cant see it past 30m
bet you wish you had let me have a go no Mr
EH ??? Don't You ? Mr

guest325

Have a look here, this is my thoughts on what would fit the bill.
Very stable, big enough to see a decent distance out and a shape that';s good for orientation; my CX33S has led me to this conclusion as it';s been the best toy grade model I have purchased to date.
http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=10845.0

Slayer23

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yup might not need glasses with that beast lol
Mr,Mr, Can I have a go
please, please, please
shoulda let me have a go Mr I wouldn't have let it go that far I cant see it past 30m
EH ??? Don't You ? Mr

apollo7

I would say a 550 Hex is about right for all you list, its a good camera platform with enough room for a gimbal and an fpv cam, with a few bright lights it shows up at a distance, can be pretty quick but stable
Volantex Ranger 1600/2000, Ranger 1200 G2, Phoenix S 1600 AR900 Miniskyhunter, ZOHD Dart 635 and a few 680 batwings plus old faithful C1 chaser and a lot of eagletree guardians

Slayer23

I say I am blind I need glasses to find the floor almost it makes it fun flying round the wife in the living room when your depth perception is shot to hell lol
but I would like something I can at least see 100 foot away if I wanted to go the full 400m I think it would be one of those 1.2 meter octo affairs lol
Mr,Mr, Can I have a go
please, please, please
EH ??? Don't You ? Mr

Gav

You';re not goanna see fook all at 400 meters away let alone know which way the thing is facing.
If you';re not goanna lift expensive cameraras then a quad will do for amature non commercial aerial video fun.  This way you keep it simple and fun.   Saying that, quads can lift expensive cameras but you just need bigger balls to fpv the thing.
A basic 450 with naza and gopro will provide oodles of fun.   use a cheaper flight controller and camera as you wish. Slap a Chinese gimbal on for Hollywood smooth video.  Bigger quad frame with bigger slower motors and props would be good for better visability and stability.  Start going down the hex route and you are committing yourself to more expense and complexity and imo i think you';ll not fly it as much.  All a trade off with how much cash you have and what you want to get out of the hobby. And all of this could be bullshit and worthless info. You could build an octo and have a hoot. Make sure to video it though.

keep it simple man

LuMan

I would say a 450-550 hex. Very stable, big enough, with potential for redundancy. As for seeing it at a distance, stick a load of LEDs on it, with 2 definitely recognisable ';headlights,'; so you will definitely know when it';s facing you... or not.

I';ve taken my HJ816 out at dusk a few times now. It';s got 2 sets of forward-facing LEDs, white LEDs on the ';front legs'; and red LEDs on the rear. Even in broad daylight the LEDs are visible, but, at dusk, it just looks soooo coooool!!  :cool:
Potensic F181DH  -  Ghost 250 (blue)  -  Cheerson CX-10/A  -  Syma X11C  -  FQ777-FQ17W  -  Eachine E57  -  BetaFPV 65S  -  Robocat 280 (in build)  -  Ghost 250 LED (in build) - And lots of broken stuff!

apollo7

Quote from: LuMan on Monday,August 29, 2016, 08:01:48
I would say a 450-550 hex. Very stable, big enough, with potential for redundancy. As for seeing it at a distance, stick a load of LEDs on it, with 2 definitely recognisable ';headlights,'; so you will definitely know when it';s facing you... or not.

I';ve taken my HJ816 out at dusk a few times now. It';s got 2 sets of forward-facing LEDs, white LEDs on the ';front legs'; and red LEDs on the rear. Even in broad daylight the LEDs are visible, but, at dusk, it just looks soooo coooool!!  :cool:
You seem to quite like the HJ 816 i toyed with getting one, might still do, how do you rate it in the air
Volantex Ranger 1600/2000, Ranger 1200 G2, Phoenix S 1600 AR900 Miniskyhunter, ZOHD Dart 635 and a few 680 batwings plus old faithful C1 chaser and a lot of eagletree guardians

LuMan

Quote from: apollo7 on Monday,August 29, 2016, 08:51:09
You seem to quite like the HJ 816 i toyed with getting one, might still do, how do you rate it in the air

It';s actually the only real ';outdoor'; drone I';ve got at the moment (until my 550 is finished).

It flew perfectly, straight out of the box. It';s rock steady and the dual rate is actually a dual rate - insomuch as you can tell that high rate is more nippy. It also flips, which is fun for a bit  :smiley:

The camera I got is well-shoddy, though. Probably just a one-off, but half of the image is blurry, so I reckon the lens is a bit out of true.

The controller is really nice, and looks a darn sight posher than it is.

If you';re going to get one, then you won';t be disappointed. I would suggest paying the extra and getting the FPV version. Well worth it for an extra 15 quid or so (if you hunt around).

Also, order the twin battery and charger kit from Amazon at the same time. They';ll take a few weeks to swim over from China, but it';s easier than botching an XT connection on the hex.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GKZEN06/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Potensic F181DH  -  Ghost 250 (blue)  -  Cheerson CX-10/A  -  Syma X11C  -  FQ777-FQ17W  -  Eachine E57  -  BetaFPV 65S  -  Robocat 280 (in build)  -  Ghost 250 LED (in build) - And lots of broken stuff!

Hands0n

A couple of things come to mind.  hope these help ...

If you want to be able to see the multi-rotor at a distance then a Hex is going to be more visible than a Quad. I say that through my own direct experience over the past few years at this malarkey  :laugh: 

That said, pretty much anything you fly will turn into a tiny dot in the sky very quickly indeed.  So what you need is a strategy for coping with loss of orientation at any distance.  For that I reckon that you need a combination of Technology and Procedure to use either/or/and as you wish/need.  What the blooming heck am I on about?

Technology:  The easy bit. Ensure that you build or buy something with a known reliable Return To Home capability.  There';s a fair bit of choice.

Procedure: Develop a strategy and method for visually coping with a multi-rotor at distance such that you can fly it back for as long as you can see it, even as a dot in the sky. 

For this I cannot recommend highly enough the technique demonstrated in this short video.  It has saved me from loss of orientation very many times and has become my normal technique for flying LOS at distance. 

http://youtu.be/qdYTCfjUVVo

Try the method at closer distances before pushing out further.  It rapidly became second nature to me.
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

kilby

Quote from: Fletch on Wednesday,August 31, 2016, 12:23:32
https://armattanproductions.com/pages/kit_detail/369

Something different!

That';s a nice looking V-Tail, though you tend to go through a lot of rear props (the Armattan';s regular 258 takes 8 incp props and you need a board or something as a takeoff pad)
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

Cheredanine

Ok for my money there are 2 reasons for putting or 8 motors on:

1. Lift capability - generally to carry a heavier payload (or even a beaver payload as my predictive text seems to think) and to do it more efficiently

2. Resilience / safety - particularly for the commercial operators or someone with a thousand pounds or more of camera kit hanging off the bottom, the loads of a motor or prop will kill a quadcopter, Octo can generally survive, sure it is lame, but it won';t fall 100ft on to hard surfaces, water etc etc

hoverfly

Reptile folder , alien 500 , F/ Shark Attitudes,
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...
Massive over draught.....

LuMan

Quote from: hoverfly on Wednesday,August 31, 2016, 13:23:22
MMMmmmm raw beaver breakfast of champions. ( Kurt Vonnegut)  :o

Haha. Oh dear. Cheredanine';s spell-checker has opened up all manner of off-topic lewdness. And hoverfly got there before me....  :rofl:

Slayer23

would not carry her beaver would require a octacontacopter with bloody large motors to lift that beast :D

So glad she cant find her way here  octaconta=80
sod soldering that lot up lol
Mr,Mr, Can I have a go
please, please, please
EH ??? Don't You ? Mr

LuMan

hoverfly

.Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...

Slayer23

Mr,Mr, Can I have a go
please, please, please
EH ??? Don't You ? Mr

LuMan

hoverfly

It';s not all my fault  there is someone following me,  he says "rupert" but when turn around he';s gone but there is a funny smell. :shrug:

Slayer23

Mr,Mr, Can I have a go
please, please, please
EH ??? Don't You ? Mr

LuMan

I know what you mean, hoverfly... Whenever I';m in the bath the wife brings me a hot water bottle. She swears blind that I say "what about a water bottle" when I';m in there...

Slayer23

hmmmmmmmmmm whenever 2 or 3 aregathered together the conversation always turns to (use any appropriate word you feel completes this)

besides it wouldnt be normal if i ask a sensible question and do not get at least 1 silly answer would it
Mr,Mr, Can I have a go
please, please, please
EH ??? Don't You ? Mr

hoverfly

Quote from: Slayer23 on Friday,September 02, 2016, 14:06:11
hmmmmmmmmmm whenever 2 or 3 aregathered together the conversation always turns to (use any appropriate word you feel completes this)

besides it wouldnt be normal if i ask a sensible question and do not get at least 1 silly answer would it

Liverpool 3-- Surreal Madrid  fish.

LuMan

Quote from: hoverfly on Friday,September 02, 2016, 14:17:37
Liverpool 3-- Surreal Madrid  fish.

Come on, hover.... You know full well that ';FISH'; as actually spelt ';GHOTI';  ;)

hoverfly

Slayer23

At least this conversation makes more sense than the one i have had with essex water
i must be the only person who receives negative refunds lol
Mr,Mr, Can I have a go
please, please, please
EH ??? Don't You ? Mr

LuMan

Slayer23

Mr,Mr, Can I have a go
please, please, please
EH ??? Don't You ? Mr