Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,September 20, 2024, 17:30:04

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
12 May 2024 08:13:51
 I have some F1 Abusemark boards going spare,,,,,,,,,,,,,    ;)    :azn
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:12:29
And with oldskool parts  :D
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:11:57
I must be the only one doing tricopters right now  :laugh:
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:09:30
 :D
Gaza07:
11 May 2024 21:15:16
Domain has been renewed closure has been cancelled  :D
Gaza07:
02 May 2024 08:07:52
Who are most people ??? I think the person you are referring to has put in a lot of effort to keep things moving  :rolleyes:
hoverfly:
01 May 2024 10:16:12
Most people I have spoken to are pizzed off with the yellow peril  flooding the forum,go figure. :whistling:
Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,478
  • Total Topics: 20,271
  • Online today: 36
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 23
Total: 23

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Bad ESC? Bad FC? Or something else entirely?

Started by CradyCopter, Sunday,January 17, 2016, 22:22:19

Previous topic - Next topic

CradyCopter

I';ve run into a stability issue with a 150-size quad I';m building and was wondering if anyone here had experienced something similar and has the solution.

Specs:
The quad is based on a Diatone ET 150 carbon fiber frame with a NAZE32 v5 running the latest rel. of Cleanflight and a 4-in-1 12A ESC flashed with BLHeli 14.3.
The motors are DYS 1104-4000KV with 3x2 props and the battery is a 500mAh 35C 3S. PIDs used are the MultiWii Rewrite.

Problem:
I can hold it in a hover but it takes a LOT of effort -- the thing is crazy unstable and pulls wildly to the right regardless of how much trim I apply.

Frame is perfectly balanced on both axis, all 4 ESC params are all identical, and I';ve run the ESC calibration several times. I even tried swapping in a new motor. After getting nowhere playing with PIDs I finally decided to use Cleanflight';s Blackbox to try and get a handle on the problem.

What the flight logs revealed is that when the quad is hovering the no. 2 motor is receiving twice the amount of throttle as the other three.

Connecting the NAZE to the Cleanflight GUI doesn';t reveal anything unusual. The accelerometers and gyros appear to be functioning correctly and seem to hold calibration so in my mind that leaves the 4-in-1 ESC. Unfortunately I don';t have an oscilloscope and without desoldering the motors and rotating the ESC board as a test I';m going to guess the no. 2 ESC is bad.
:confused:

Thoughts?

Cheredanine

So many things...
As you say, could be bad motor or bad ESC.
Could be settings on that ESC (have you compared it to the others in blheli?)
Could be mounting screws are too long and slowing that motor
Does it behave the same with props off?
Have you thried switching the motors around?

rsmith21

do all the motors turn easily when rotated by hand ?
KK2, NAZA M/V2 ugrade, Spektrum DX 8, Hubsan X4
Immersion 25Mw vtx, GoPro 4, Black Pearl Display
Walkera 2 axis gimbal

Revs

Just to add to the above questions..

- Could the prop on motor2 be on up-side-down?

- In the Motors tab on CF, do all the motors start at the same time as you up the slider? Do all the motors seem to be reaching the same rpm on full throttle?

CradyCopter

Unfortunately, everything (motors, props, calibration, settings, etc.) is exactly as it should be.  I had the opportunity to discuss my issue with one of the Cleanflight contributors last night and after going over the details he agrees the problem lies with a defective ESC.The 4-in-1 board I';m using offers significant weight savings but a lot of people seem to be having bad luck with it.

Steve Farrimond

Hi, I';m new to the hobby, but from my experience with Heli';s, when you put trim in to the model from the model, you are actively giving the flight controller an input, is this taking over from the flight hold instruction?

Also is the instability due to incorrect PID tuning?

Just a thought.

CradyCopter

Yes, when you add TX trim you are effectively moving a control stick.  If that trim is incorrect then it would conflict with any self-correction efforts made by the FC.

[size=78%]No, the problem is not the PIDs.  As I mentioned, after discussing the issues with one of the Cleanflight contributors we determined the problem is a defective ESC.[/size]

I';m hoping to receive a replacement some time next week.