Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,September 19, 2024, 22:07:57

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
12 May 2024 08:13:51
 I have some F1 Abusemark boards going spare,,,,,,,,,,,,,    ;)    :azn
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:12:29
And with oldskool parts  :D
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:11:57
I must be the only one doing tricopters right now  :laugh:
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:09:30
 :D
Gaza07:
11 May 2024 21:15:16
Domain has been renewed closure has been cancelled  :D
Gaza07:
02 May 2024 08:07:52
Who are most people ??? I think the person you are referring to has put in a lot of effort to keep things moving  :rolleyes:
hoverfly:
01 May 2024 10:16:12
Most people I have spoken to are pizzed off with the yellow peril  flooding the forum,go figure. :whistling:
Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,478
  • Total Topics: 20,271
  • Online today: 34
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 25
Total: 25

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Custom Multirotor for payload and flight time

Started by Yellow, Tuesday,June 02, 2015, 10:36:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Yellow

So I';ve got not so much a problem, but more an exercise in what';s possible.

I';m working with some new clients and they want to use multirotors for lighting effects, my S900 is fantastic, and I love how I can modify the payload and how reliable/stable it is.
I don';t need anything more right now, but I';d like to be able to go back to them on the next job and say what I think would be possible with somehting new.

So what I';d like to know is how big a payload (let';s say max 5kg but more likely around 3kg) could fly with perhaps 20min flight time? I know these numbers need tweaking, I';d just like to know what would be possible with a multirotor that';s made mostly with fairly easy to source parts ( I don';t mind printing or cutting parts for it at our workshop - just last thing I want is an out of the box kit I can';t fix) I';m pretty happy building whatever large multirotor you come up with, and if I get stuck all you wonderful people will be there to help I';m sure.

The payload will be a mixture of hard mounted, and like below on a cable, so stability is pretty crucial to cope with pendulum effect - the s900 dealt with it fantastically, even in the wind.

So what are the things I need to aim for in this frame?

Edit: Forgot to mention, as you may have guessed with the  payload, the 7kg limit isn';t really an issue for us here

Revs

Just bashed some numbers in the calc.

Assuming we';re talking a 5kg hex lifting 5kg, so 10kg total. That';s 1.7kg per motor, so you need about 3kg lift per motor

6x sunnysky X4110S 460kv motors running 6s with 15x5.5 props use 12A each lifting 1.7kg

12A x 6 = 72A in a hover

72Ah / 3 = 24Ah

So you';d need 2x 12000mAh 6s, and that';s not allowing for leaving 20% in the battery! So lets say 2x 15000mAh 6s or 4x 7500mAh 6s.

Multistar 6s 8000mAh 10c batteries weigh 956g each, so your hex would need to be ~2kg without the batteries to pull this off.

Yellow

It doesn';t have to be a hex, would an X8 be more efficient?

Thanks for doing the calcs though, still getting my head around it

Revs

Probably not I don';t think. With more motors you';s have smaller props so less efficient. Plus a oct would probably be heavier than a hex. X8';s are even less efficient due to the bottom prop spinning in the prop-wash from the top prop.

A quad might be better, but you';d have to have something like 18" blades.

I hope this isn';t flying over people...? :o

PaulJC

I guess airframe size plays a part in this too, you could have a big octo, could lift loads. but physically it would be massive, a hex is a nice middle ground or an X8 can have a fair amount of lift for a reasonable physical size... Plenty of options..

Yellow

Size shouldn';t matter too much, its only ever going to be operating 150m away from people anyway, possibly 100 if I get round to applying for more of an exemption, but I can';t see a use for that right now.

I was liking the look of the cortex I saw someone mention it a while ago, but if a quad with long arms and big props would be best I see no reason why can';t use that, just need some sort of folding/detatching mechanism for transport

Revs

BTW if you want me to explain any of the calcs, just ask. It';s not an exact science but you can get near enough as long as you have motor/prop data, which Sunnysky nicely provide on their site... http://www.rcsunnysky.com/html/2014/xsseries_0922/27.html

Yellow

Quote from: Revs on Tuesday,June 02, 2015, 16:48:41
BTW if you want me to explain any of the calcs, just ask. It';s not an exact science but you can get near enough as long as you have motor/prop data, which Sunnysky nicely provide on their site... http://www.rcsunnysky.com/html/2014/xsseries_0922/27.html

That would be great, I mostly understand it, I';d just like to know why you choose to run at 12A or is that just a good average?

I was looking at these motors with the 18" props - more thrust, and same efficiency as the ones you mentionned at 12A http://www.rcsunnysky.com/html/2014/mseries_0925/30.html

Say I was to make it an X8 with those 18" props, any idea how much the thrust would suffer being in the wash of the others? If its really significant, I';ll look at maybe a hex with some nifty design to avoid being too big and not 100% overhang like a Y6

Revs

12A is just what each motor should draw when lifting 1.7kg, according to the chart...

..look at the DJI1555 box ^^

Yellow

I get that, but if it were carrying 2200, it would draw 18, how would this be controlled? Or does it just lift what it has to?

Revs

Yes, 18A at 2.2kg, controlled with the throttle in manual mode. The FC should compensate in loiter mode, it just ups the throttle until the baro says it';s off the ground.

Also, I';m sure you know but 10kg flying weight is over the frames max limit. Not sure if you';d be insured or indeed whether the frame would actually take it.

Yellow

10kg is certainly over the s900';s capability, that';s why I';m looking for a new build. Spotted that D130 from another thread, might use that As a base, do you know much about that?