Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,September 06, 2024, 18:04:34

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
12 May 2024 08:13:51
 I have some F1 Abusemark boards going spare,,,,,,,,,,,,,    ;)    :azn
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:12:29
And with oldskool parts  :D
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:11:57
I must be the only one doing tricopters right now  :laugh:
DarkButterfly:
11 May 2024 22:09:30
 :D
Gaza07:
11 May 2024 21:15:16
Domain has been renewed closure has been cancelled  :D
Gaza07:
02 May 2024 08:07:52
Who are most people ??? I think the person you are referring to has put in a lot of effort to keep things moving  :rolleyes:
hoverfly:
01 May 2024 10:16:12
Most people I have spoken to are pizzed off with the yellow peril  flooding the forum,go figure. :whistling:
Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,476
  • Total Topics: 20,271
  • Online today: 21
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 18
Total: 18

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

FPV Antenna question

Started by kilby, Sunday,May 31, 2015, 22:22:14

Previous topic - Next topic

kilby

I understand for the most part which antennas you choose for a particular purpose BUT...

In the case of circularly polarised it seems to have been the convention to pair a skew planar on the ground with a cloverleaf as the transmitter.

However it seems that skew planar at both ends is becoming the popular choice.

This stems from somebody stating on Facebook that you must use a cloverleaf (which I know not to be the case) and he also stated that the antennas shouldn';t have the same polarisation.

I';m not so interested in his statements as to whether the skew planar + cloverleaf was better, better only in theory or just tradition
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

JT

Just in myth lol. I believe the skew has a better radiation pattern than the clover(No expert though).   As for using different polarities I can tell you that they need to be the same, I have a set of gavs RH on my wing and a set of flyinghippys LH on my quad(or the other way around lol), last night I forgot to take the quad one off my goggles and got lots of breakup when flying the wing, I went to about 450m with the mismatched pair with lots of flickering and out to a km with the matched pair with good reception.

kilby

That';s what I suspected, the mixed 3 & 4 leaf setups all stem to be from a couple of years ago.

To me the improved pattern from a pair of skew planar made more sense, I think the 3 & 4 leaf combination may have come from a statement from IBCrazy when he was doing some testing

I knew the mismatched polarity was utter balls but couldn';t be arsed arguing with him
Taranis+

bazzerh

I';m using homemade cloverleafs on tx and rx and getting good results. They take less time to make and use approximately 25% less welding wire to build too. I';ve saved around 10p so far I think.

Main reason I build them is that I saw an ibcrazy comment that he thought duel clovers was very marginally the best combo for mini quads
Round By Round Qualifying and Finals For All.

it just makes sense

kilby

I have inherited a set of Gav';s skews and they are pretty damned good ;)

We did have a play one day comparing them against a pair and although neither went out of range (it was too far to walk)  Gav';s certainly suffered less breakup.

Of course to do the test properly it should be done with antennas from the same maker, as it may have been Gav';s build quality or using 4 leaves (or even both)

If I was making my own I think I would go for clovers as its less for me to mess up.
Taranis+

bazzerh

Quote from: kilby on Sunday,May 31, 2015, 23:53:20
I have inherited a set of Gav';s skews and they are pretty damned good ;)

We did have a play one day comparing them against a pair and although neither went out of range (it was too far to walk)  Gav';s certainly suffered less breakup.

Of course to do the test properly it should be done with antennas from the same maker, as it may have been Gav';s build quality or using 4 leaves (or even both)

If I was making my own I think I would go for clovers as its less for me to mess up.

i think build quality is going to surpass clover/skew planar mixes

it just makes sense

kilby

Probably, but it would he nice to know
Taranis+

bazzerh

there is so much been written about the combos but I do think for DIY a pair of clovers is your best shot. the angles can be harder to eyeball i guess though compared to the cross pattern of a spw but i built a jig to give me a good 120deg every time.

I can';t find the ibcrazy comment regarding the cloverleaf pair but its definitely out there somewhere.

also be aware that the cl and spw need different length lobes so for a diyer its simpler to just cut all your lobes the same and stick to one type

it just makes sense

JT

Doesn';t IBcrazy now favour a 5 lobe version???? I would go for skews over cloverleaf, better radiation pattern over 3 lobed obviously means better signal??

Gav would be the one to ask, he knows a bit about antennas.... :laugh:

bazzerh

Quote from: JT on Monday,June 01, 2015, 07:59:11
Doesn';t IBcrazy now favour a 5 lobe version???? I would go for skews over cloverleaf, better radiation pattern over 3 lobed obviously means better signal??

Gav would be the one to ask, he knows a bit about antennas.... :laugh:

he does but my gav spw bust on the first crash unfortunately so i didnt get much chance to test them. the clovers ive built seem to take more of a pounding, they get squashed and can be bent back a few times before they go in the bin. copious amounts of epoxy helps!

copied your kinder egg idea on the last few though and now they';re indestructable  ::)

it just makes sense

JT

Quote from: bazzerh on Monday,June 01, 2015, 08:34:06
copied your kinder egg idea on the last few though and now they';re indestructable  ::)

Can';t take credit for it, it was flyinghippy who discovered them, 3d printed ABS ones work a treat too, I';ve not tried PLA yet but to test any type of plastic just give it a spin in the microwave, if it comes out warm it';s no good as it absorbs radio waves and if it';s cool, it';s errr cool  :cool:

tupoar

Quote from: JT on Monday,June 01, 2015, 09:48:31
Can';t take credit for it, it was flyinghippy who discovered them, 3d printed ABS ones work a treat too, I';ve not tried PLA yet but to test any type of plastic just give it a spin in the microwave, if it comes out warm it';s no good as it absorbs radio waves and if it';s cool, it';s errr cool  :cool:

Can you PM me a link please??
A new way of buying and selling RC Gear.

[url="//www.rcmungo.com"]www.rcmungo.com[/url]

Craft: RE Decker 180, RE X1, HK Thorax, Hubsan X4, Q4
FC: Naze32, Flip32, Sparky, CC3D, SP Racing F3
VRX: RCD T-Box - 40 Channel Diversity

JT